DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   UWOL#4 Touching Generations by Jeff Hendricks (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/99612-uwol-4-touching-generations-jeff-hendricks.html)

Jeff Hendricks July 23rd, 2007 08:12 PM

UWOL#4 Touching Generations by Jeff Hendricks

Feedback thread for the film “Touching Generations”, filmed in the Hope Valley, Sierra Nevada Mountains…I am looking forward to enjoying all of your films.

I would like to give a special thanks to Brad Murphy “Murph” and the band Slipstream for allowing me to use their song “Waterbound” in my film. They are an outstanding bluegrass/traditional band out of Boulder Colorado. I put their band’s website at the end of the credits please feel free to check them out and take a listen. Cool band, great music, and terrific people.
Thanks Slipstream.

Dale Guthormsen July 24th, 2007 01:29 PM

Jeff,

This video touched me!!! No it gouged me!! I have you in the top four to be certain!!! maybe it is because it is because I am older and more emotional, but all all I can say is great job!!

Jeff Hendricks July 24th, 2007 02:09 PM

I appreciate that very much Dale, Thank you

Kevin Railsback July 24th, 2007 04:37 PM

Jeff,

Not just a great film but a great story too!

It really reminded me of "A River Runs Through It."

Beautiful imagery!

Steve Siegel July 24th, 2007 08:39 PM

Wonderful story line, excellent video, perfect music, tight editing, and very wet water. You might have had the mom call Ryan's name just a little bit louder at the end, but as far as I'm concerned, you have the winning entry.

Rob Evans July 25th, 2007 08:16 AM

Hey Jeff.....

Spot on.

Tight in every example - where your UWOL 3 film was ever so slightly overwhelming at points, you've stepped back, had a think about it and produced a piece that is perfect in pace, visual and vocal storytelling, and really captivating throughout.

I think the whole concept of sharing the same space of generations past and "echoes down the ages" will really touch a large portion of the audience - it certainly did with me...

Great work ;-)

Jeff Hendricks July 25th, 2007 08:44 AM

Thank you all for the very kind words, I am humbled

I am glad that it conveyed what I imagined, generations of people separated by hundreds, even thousands of years touching the exact same molecules of water; essentially touching history.

Jeff

Jeff Hendricks July 25th, 2007 08:48 AM

I forgot to give a big thanks to my terrific actors...so Todd, Ryan, Norma and Aiden...you guys were amazing in this thank you...

Love Jeff

Geir Inge July 26th, 2007 06:24 AM

Hi Jeff.
I love this kind of films.
People out in the nature and kids playing around.
As I said to Chris, this is what makes us better persons.
Great storyline, great editing and great music and the link between the old man and the boy :)
Well put together!

Geir Inge

Mark Williams July 26th, 2007 07:49 AM

Jeff,

Very nice piece of work. You obviously put a lot into this. Great story that touches us all. I think you have a winner here.

Regards,

Ron Chant July 26th, 2007 12:11 PM

I can see that a good amount of time and effort put into this short, great story line giving a nice emotional feeling.

Chris Barcellos July 26th, 2007 02:15 PM

Jeff:

Glad to see something more dramatic in this challenge. Sometimes I think we try to keep all humans of our "nature" films, thinking that we humans are a contamination. This film shows that we are part of it, and have a choice of the mark we leave..... nice film.

David Gemmell July 27th, 2007 02:48 AM

Hi Jeff,
Well, this is one of my favourites - perhaps the winner!
I don't really know where to start but I always love films that bring out emotion in people, and this really did it for me.
The filming was sensational - effects, colour, composition, etc. But it was the story and how you conveyed this that was so powerful.
The filming quality was excellent Jeff - you should be very proud of what you created here - both my wife and I loved it!

Jeff Hendricks July 28th, 2007 09:01 AM

Wow, thank you all so much for the wonderful comments on my film. I have to say that I am glad everyone is seeming to understand it the way it is because I was almost ready to scrap the whole thing (on the Monday of the deadline no less) and re-edit the entire piece to make the story flow differently.

Thank you all again,

Jeff

Catherine Russell July 29th, 2007 05:40 PM

Hi Jeff!

I somehow didn't get the audio with this, but with your excellent filming and beautiful story, I don't think I needed it. It was so well done and touching. I'm certain the music would bring it all home, but like I said it is such a strong message it works without it.

All the best in uwol 5

Cat Russell

Per Johan Naesje July 30th, 2007 01:50 AM

Jeff, very touching story. As the other already have commented I think this is a winner. Glad you didn't change it!

Gordon Hoffman July 31st, 2007 06:09 AM

Jeff
Interesting story. Well done.

Gordon Hoffman

Ruth Happel July 31st, 2007 02:30 PM

I really liked this film and the story. And your shots, with the older man echoing the appearance of the younger, really linked the generations. Great job. The music was fun to listen to, also.

Ruth

Trond Saetre July 31st, 2007 04:15 PM

Jeff, I just watched your film, and I loved it.
The story, the music, narration... everything was great.

Congratulations with the winning film. You deserved it.
I'm looking forward to see your future uwol films.

Bruce Foreman July 31st, 2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hendricks (Post 719883)
Wow, thank you all so much for the wonderful comments on my film. I have to say that I am glad everyone is seeming to understand it the way it is because I was almost ready to scrap the whole thing (on the Monday of the deadline no less) and re-edit the entire piece to make the story flow differently.

Thank you all again,

Jeff

Damn glad you didn't scrap it or change the flow in any major way. I thoroughly enjoyed it

Your cast was stunningly perfect in their roles, the story, visual imagery, and all aspects of your production made it flow well from start to finish.

Congratulations on having the winning entry. It was a pleasure to watch it.