DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The UWOL Challenge (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/)
-   -   Kevin Railsback! Calling for your feedback thread! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/uwol-challenge/99714-kevin-railsback-calling-your-feedback-thread.html)

Kevin Railsback July 25th, 2007 06:24 PM

Lisa, There really wasn't much in the way of editing. When I returned from California, my wife wanted to see if I had any good footage.

So I laid down a few clips from the trip and that with the exception of two shots that was what I laid down from 1:00 on.

It literally took about ten minutes to lay those tracks down.

That's where the film sat until this past Sunday.

I went out a couple times, about dunked my camera in Indian Creek and grabbed a few shots here and there.

Still didn't have the beginning of the film.

So, while I was working with my business partner on her last day in Iowa, I went out in the back yard and got the rest of the shots.

I filmed that final sunset shot around 8-8:30. Went into the office, Julie sat down next to me, I grabbed about 10 clips, laid them down and that was it.

Who knows, maybe I think to much and need to think less when I'm putting this stuff together. :)

Geir Inge July 26th, 2007 06:27 AM

Hi Kevin.
A blessing for my soul this one.
Great colors, and scenery, and the piano, following the water all the way to the sea.
You’re a great editor Kevin.

Geir Inge

Per Johan Naesje July 26th, 2007 07:32 AM

Kevin,
you have truly a very good look for good pictures. The slowmotion of the sea waves was stunning, so was the lights in the skies. This was a very amazing journey of water which I wanted to go on and on...
Very nice editing and music.

Gordon Hoffman July 26th, 2007 08:45 AM

Kevin
Easy or not I think you have an excellent piece here. Your HVX does a nice job on timelapse. Do you shoot alot of you stuff at 24p or edit it that way?

Gordon Hoffman

Jeff Hendricks July 26th, 2007 09:53 AM

Kevin,

I have said this before; I am a big fan of your stuff. You capture nature in its finest hour with such grace and delicacy. The pictures are beautiful to see and you make the viewer feel so close and captivated by your images that one can almost smell the salty air and feel the sea breeze.

The pacing is perfect and the images are perfect. You have a rare eye in filmmaking that many could learn from…especially me.

Jeff

Mark Williams July 26th, 2007 10:13 AM

Kevin,

Really nice flow. Kind of like visual poetry. You have a good eye for composition.

Regards,

Bob Safay July 26th, 2007 02:40 PM

Kevin, beautiful footage. Slow mothion was very pleasing to the eye and the clouds and the sea were mesmerizing. We kind of had the same theme but yours came out so much better. A great job. Bob

David Gemmell July 26th, 2007 04:52 PM

One of my favourites

Kevin,

You are so talented and clearly have such high standards. I just loved your entry.

Your choice of music, combined with the thunder at the start was so powerful - although I did think you missed a wonderful opportunity with the wave hitting the rocks as the music built up to the high point (it would have worked better with a big explosive wave hitting the rocks with water filling the screen).

The clarity and colour of your scenes - along with the slow motion is perfect (as it always is with your work). My wife and I watched your movie a few times, simply because it flowed so nicely, sounded great and had such powerful and emotive scenes.
I personally think this is the winning entry.

Chris Barcellos July 27th, 2007 12:38 AM

Another super job Kevin. Would like to learn to make that kind of eyecandy. Gives us all something to shoot for.

Vidar Vedaa July 27th, 2007 05:21 AM

kevin,
From my eay this film was realy fabules I like the style on the movie.
And the cuting on the film.I am short my english is not so good.

Kevin Railsback July 28th, 2007 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gordon,

As Mat will tell you, I shoot almost everything in slow-motion. :)

It's all 60fps put on a 24p timeline so it plays back at 2.5X slower than real time.

I have my camera set up so that when I turn it on, it automatically defaults to 60fps. I just love being able to really see something unfold that normally happens so quickly. It gives me the time to really appreciate it.

Jeff,Chris,

Thanks. Maybe I should come out with a DVD of how I film nature. :)

I sure wish I would have been able to use this shot in the film though!

Trond Saetre July 29th, 2007 02:40 AM

Kevin, you made a really good film!
And the sunset was fantastic! Loved it.

Ruth Happel July 31st, 2007 02:45 PM

Kevin,

As always, you have such a great sense of composition and flow. It was a joy to watch.

Ruth