DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   CRT for Grading? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/117615-crt-grading.html)

Peter Moretti March 23rd, 2008 11:04 AM

CRT for Grading?

I've read in many places that LCD's are just now starting to catch up with CRT's in terms of picture quality for grading.

So I'm wondering, "Why not get a CRT (new or used) for grading?" I wouldn't use it for all color correction, but for the fine tuning, I could sit in front of a CRT for a few hours if need be.

Any suggestions of a potential CRT to use?

Thanks much as always.

Glenn Chan March 23rd, 2008 03:21 PM

For SD work, I'd get a broadcast monitor like the ones from JVC, Sony (discontinued), Ikegami, Panasonic (discontinued). They will show interlacing correctly and have good color reproduction.

Quality generally correlates with price. Look for blue gun and SMPTE C phosphors (SMPTE C if you are in a NTSC country other than Japan, EBU for PAL countries). Not all of the entry-level monitors have SMPTE C phosphors but their color reproduction should be reasonably close.

2- Used CRTs might have subtle image imperfections. So be careful buying them... I'd highly recommend you look at the image before buying. (e.g. would you buy used shoes without examining them?) CRTs get worse with use.

3- What's your price range?
What are your needs? Do you need HD too?

Peter Moretti March 23rd, 2008 07:07 PM

Glenn,

Thanks very much for the reply. Yes I will definitely need HD. I will be trying to do as much finishing as possible myself, using either SCRATCH or Avid's DS Assist Station. The documentary I'm working on has the possibility of theatrical release (don't they all, LOL) so I need to grade for that as well broadcast.

Essentially, I'd like to do as much of the finishing as I can myself. I've read accounts of people using DS Assist or SCRATCH to even make their own DI's. This has me very intrigued.

Paul Newman March 31st, 2008 01:22 PM

I'm using JVC:

DT-V1910CG
19" HD multi-standard Colour Monitor

1000 TV lines resolution on Natural-Flat screen

Takes all progressive/interlace I/Ps from SD to HD
Auto input selection of HD SDI and SDI

Optional input cards for component/RGB/SDI

16:9/4:3 switchable with 14:9/13:9 area marking
Comprehensive front panel & CPU menu control

Built-in audio monitoring

Not sure if they still make the 19" version, but sure there is a 17".

The results are fab, real monitoring, correct field order issues, makes flat panels look awful, and has composite, S Vid, component SD and HD inputs as well as SDI if you want, basically, you order the spec you need, so it's cheaper than a rig with everything on board.

Paul

Glenn Chan April 7th, 2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Glenn, can you explain a little more about what a broadcast monitor does as it realtes to making a DI for a filmout? I realize that there are interlacing and IRE 709 color level issues related to broadcast. Should the same broadcast monitor for doing CCing to a make a DI for a filmout? I plan on getting the software only version of Avid's DS and would like to use it to do as much finishing myself as I can.

Thanks much for your insights.
I don't do any filmout work so I don't know that much about it. For high-end work, they would use a high-end projector with wider gamut than 709. This lets them see more of the colors available on film. Some facilities like Deluxe/eFilm have a lot of proprietary stuff in their workflow that is specific to them. To avoid re-doing your filmout because you're unhappy with the colors, you're probably better off speaking to the facility so you can avoid unpleasant surprises.
It might be possible that you can use a video Rec. 709 workflow for filmout (and then they try to make the filmout look like what one would see on a Rec. 709 monitor)... but I don't know.

2- I've put this reply back into this thread... it's easier to keep track of things with one topic per thread.