DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Large Display monitor/TV for outside CHEAP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/130959-large-display-monitor-tv-outside-cheap.html)

Marty Welk September 16th, 2008 08:26 PM

Large Display monitor/TV for outside CHEAP

I need to upgrade my "show" monitor to widescreen & bigger.

Presentally:
I use a normal CRT monitor for "Showing" videos after a shoot, and for CCTV style room expanding (video in overfilled room, jump to monitors in standby rooms), and for dvd display rarely, and for presentation/powerpoint rarely.
so the monitor i "haul" has a wide variety of uses/needs depending on the job at hand, but the One very special thing i need in the monitor is for it to be able to functionally deliver a picture for viewing outside , on a full sunny day, with the screen itself usually/mostly shaded.

Some Ideal Specs:
The monitor/tv size would be from 37" - 46" Max , probably a 42"
it should be able to be carried/set-up by one person, weight less than 90Lbs
it should be able to connect to computers, component for dvd, and S-sd signals, and of course have QAM tuner would be nice for home cable :-) and HD whatever for later.
Max Money available $2000 , but lower is nice Too.

Reality is the Problem:
Just about everything i can find has most of those goodies in it, which (as usual) leaves only the PROBLEM situations.
ya see it isn't about being "professional", as any consumer device would do that, its about being professional in being Prepared for any horrible Situation i get tossed into that can't be corrected. That situation will be when it has to be where the sun/light is blasting it.
The TVs i can find good "STATS" for "NITS" or cd/m2 or in human terms how bright it will get.

So Far:
From what info i can achieve now, "normal" lcds have about 450nit, and bright ones have 750nit, and one that is good enough to see outside is 1000nits, and overpriced premo ones that would work 100% outside can get to an alleged 1500nits.

Stats, who writes this stuff:
Only SOME manufactures/stats will even show a nits number
the nits number (when it does exist) seems to be fully Meaningless BS like all other stats and sales junk , and data sheets, you know the ones :-)

What about Plasma:
So there is "plasma" which should/could be brighter , the Nits STATS claim up to 1500
there is LCD which is often deemed to be brighter, but the nits stats claim only 450-500 usually, and a few LCDs which say 1000, but dont look any brighter.

But its Not Outside:
I go to the store, which is (of course) darkened like a home theatre, and has minimal crasy problems, like windows or lights behind it or the power of the actual sun. but most of the displays basically look the Same in brightness level. A 2x differance in lux is hardly noticable to human eyes anyway.

Some of the information people, and web info, and books etc "know" about plasmas , and lcd is based on OLD information, so it has no value whatsoever because things changed, AND there is huge differences between models even same brands.

Ex: plasmas now exist that have anti-glare anti-reflection plastic difusers on the glass
LCDs exist that the actual CCFT brightness adusts (instead of white clipping)

O-LED and LED are out, and anything that costs some rediculous price $6000 is out, and TFT back reflective screens also seem to be too high priced.

QUESTIONS:
1) First thing i need to know: Is a Modern plasma of high brightness, re-adjusted for high output , brighter than a "normal" 450nit Lcd screen? or will a plasma with it's light screen, instead of light valve screen be easier to see outside?

2) What cheap consumer or semi-pro type of LCD screens are Actually full 1000-1500nits bright, without buying a specialty one? Vrses which ones make high faluting claims that don't mean much.

3) Which monitors have YOU seen that actually work outdoors in so much as in direct sunlight , that are affordable?

4) It also seems that more 720p screens showed higher Nits numbers than 1080p screens of the same size, because 1080p is not nessiary for pretty good display, i would be willing to get lower res, if it will get brighter. there is some logic behind the lower res being brighter, but that did not make a lot of sence either in the "stats".

Thanks for reading all the noise there :-)