DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Powering a Studio Monitor In The Field (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/137737-powering-studio-monitor-field.html)

Steve Crow November 13th, 2008 05:28 PM

Powering a Studio Monitor In The Field

Here's the essence of what I want to know:

Would a Portable Power Source like the:

Sears "DieHard Portable Power 1150 Jump-Starter/AC-DC Power Source" (DieHard Portable Power 1150 Jump-Starter/AC-DC Power Source - Model 71988 at Sears.com)

be a good choice for powering a Sony PVM-14L1 Color Video Monitor in the field. It draws about 70 watts of power and needs to run for 6-7 hours (oh, I will also be running my Panasonic AG-HVX200 of it too at the same time)

BACKGROUND
I recently had very embarrassing incident. I was shooting video for a client outside in a park like setting and had terrible exposure and focus problems because everything was too bright (even with the ND filters turned all the way on)...even when shooting under the trees the background was way overexposed and the color balanced sucked. I should have insisted we change locations but I didn't....lesson learned.

One of the issues was that I couldn't clearly see my LCD flipout monitor because of all the glare so my focus was off too.

I've since ordered a Hoodman for my fold out LCD to help address that problem but now I also want to bring an external monitor out in the field so that I can double check focus. Power is going to be a problem, I'm not sure I always will have access to outside wall power outlets to plug into.

So I thought about using an older Sony studio monitor I have which has a 16:9 mode. I am going to try and construct a shade out of cardboard to put over it.

STRAINING THE BATTERY:
The Diehard unit can deliver 1150 "peak amps" and up to 400watts continuously. Would that be enough to power my monitor, my AG-HVX200, a Macbook Pro laptop and maybe even a few lights?

Boyd Ostroff November 13th, 2008 05:49 PM

Hi Steve,

See the following thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sdtv-hdtv...lcd-field.html

Steve Crow November 13th, 2008 05:54 PM

Thanks Boyd, I did in fact see that thread but it didn't seem to reach a conclusion one way or another, I was hoping that someone who might have used this Diehard unit or something similar might share their "real world" experiences with the product. I'm leaning towards this solution but I wanted to hear from other pros in the field about what they thought, particularly the load issue.

Steve

Andy Tejral November 13th, 2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Crow (Post 963339)
STRAINING THE BATTERY:
The Diehard unit can deliver 1150 "peak amps" and up to 400watts continuously. Would that be enough to power my monitor, my AG-HVX200, a Macbook Pro laptop and maybe even a few lights?

Get out the manuals or look on the units and add 'em up! If its listed in amps, multiply that by 110 to get watts.

I was trying to figure out how to calculate how long it would last, but brain isn't functioning properly.

The peak amps is useless to you--thats for jumping your car.

Boyd Ostroff November 13th, 2008 07:30 PM

See the following on Xantrex's website: Xantrex Technology Inc. - Battery/Appliance Operating Times Calculator

I really doubt that a $100 Sears handyman gadget is gonna power your "monitor, AG-HVX200, a Macbook Pro laptop and maybe even a few lights" for 6 or 7 hours. Why not just get a spare battery for your laptop and camera? Not familiar with the HVX, but my Z1 will run for about 4 hours on the big Sony batteries. My MacBook Pro can get around 3 hours on battery power.

Remember the "West Virginia Law", W = VA (Watts = Volts X Amps). Therefore A = W / V. If your monitor is rated at 70 watts @ 120 volts it draws .58 amps. That Sears product is rated for 22 amp-hours so *theoretically* it would run the monitor for 22 / .58 = 38 hours. However I would really be surprised if it gave you anywhere near that.

That thing looks pretty similar to the Husky unit I mentioned in the other thread. I suggest you look at the Xantrex products, they are actually intended to do something along the lines of what you want instead of jump starting your car and inflating tires.

FWIW, my son in law left his Jeep parked at my place for nearly a year, and a few days before he came to get it I decided I should fire it up. Of course the battery was dead, but I thought it would be a great chance to use my Husky jump starter. Forget it, I couldn't even get a wimper out of the starter. Maybe it would work if your battery is just a little weak, but certainly not for a dead battery.

I hooked a "real" battery charger up to the car, and after a number of hours it charged up and started fine. All in all, I'm not so impressed with these things, and doubt that it's the best solution for your problem.