DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Help with choosing a studio monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/145063-help-choosing-studio-monitor.html)

Ken Campbell March 4th, 2009 12:28 AM

Help with choosing a studio monitor

Hello all, I have a Sony V1 and use it primarily in a studio environment. The V1 has all the common connections and HDMI. I need help in getting a relatively low cost monitoring solution while shooting. I first thought about the Sony fx820 DVD player solution, but I would rather have something more HD, like a computer monitor or a LCD TV. It doesn't have to be full 1920X1080 resolution, just be good enough to focus and see those little details, like grain, that the on camera monitor can't resolve. Size and portability are not issues, AFAIK.

Question 1: Can I use a LCD TV with HDMI as a monitor via HDMI from the camera?

Question 2: What about hooking up a computer monitor as a field monitor?

Question 3: Is HDMI better for monitoring than using the component outs or the composite outs?

Question 4: What other solutions am I missing?

Thanks everyone!

Shaun Roemich March 4th, 2009 08:52 AM

Q1: Yes.
Q2: No. Colour space is different for video and computers. Video uses YUV and computers use RGB. For focus only, sure. For colour, you'd need external hardware like the Matrox MXO.
Q3: Yes. HDMI passes a digital HD signal. Analog component would be your next best. Composite is standard def only.

Ken Campbell March 4th, 2009 11:09 AM

Thanks for the reply Shaun!

I just brought home a Samsung T200HD LCD digital tv monitor for 250 overvalued euros. My first impression hooking it up to the V1 via HDMI was OK, it doesn't have the quality of a real HD monitor, but then it doesn't have the price of one either. Once I got into the menu and adjusted the brightness, sharpness and saturation it got better. Getting focus was easy and much easier than using the on camera LCD. It certainly will come in handy when the camera is on a crane and for overall general studio usage, and when clients are there they can see what is going on without crowding me. It also seems fine for reviewing footage after the shoot.

Anyway, thanks again!

Shaun Roemich March 4th, 2009 12:33 PM

No problem. I bought a 19" LG HDTV that I hook up to my JVC GY-HD200 via analog component when I need an HD field monitor. Like you say, not a true HD broadcast monitor but for client viewing and focus, it does just fine. I paid $400 Canadian for it last summer. I just can't trust colour or exposure, even after tweaking but I've got my workflow down with viewfinder and zebra.

Ken Campbell March 8th, 2009 01:27 AM

Well, I've been using the 20" LCD TV as a monitor in my studio for the last few days and I have to say it was €250 well spent. My V1 can output all the screen data to the LCD monitor so I can at least see the histogram on it, but it doesn't output the "in focus" signs and it doesn't output the zebra (I shoot a lot of stuff against a pure white background) but I can also guage that from the histogram. The cool stuff is getting focus and framing shots, which has never been easier. Like Shaun, I don't think the colors are 100% accurate and I wouldn't use it for exposure either, but at the end of the day for only 250 clams it already has paid for itself.