DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   HDTV: How many here own one or an HD monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/20288-hdtv-how-many-here-own-one-hd-monitor.html)

Tommy Haupfear July 21st, 2004 01:47 PM

Quote:

Plus, I chose this over Sony, because it can switch between 1080i and 720p easily.
This must be a LCD? CRTs are typically only 1080i and will upconvert/downconvert.

Heath McKnight July 21st, 2004 02:28 PM

CRT. I haven't plugged in my HD10, so if it's wrong, life goes on (can't buy a new TV!).

hwm

Peter Dolman February 16th, 2006 10:32 AM

Sony XBR LCD

Is there anyone out there using one of the new Sony XBR LCD screens for editing?
If so .... pros and cons ?
Thanks

Duane Smith February 16th, 2006 01:34 PM

- 34" Philips CRT HDTV (1080i)
- HD signal via Digital Cable box (about a dozen channels)
- HDMI Box-to-TV connection

Jon Omiatek February 17th, 2006 10:39 AM

I have Sonys new 1080p DLP TV, My Z1U footage looks incredible on it while I am editing.

Jon

John Kang March 4th, 2006 01:24 PM

hdtv

I have a Hitachi 62in at home. It's a CRT. I've shopped for quite some time and finanly plunked down money on the set because it was cheap! The quality of the TV set is outrageous. One of the best TV sets I've seen.

I will say that I had issues with the TV set causing severe bleeding with the color RED. It's only happened with the movie "Get Shorty." All other movies look great.

As to Plasmas...I think Pioneer brands are the best. The quaility seems to out do all other plasmas.

As to DLP. It must be me but I can't stand it!!! I've watched DLP screens and can't stand the mossiac flickering when fast action happens on the TV set. The only TV set that I could stand to watch a DLP brand was Sony. I saw a 65/72? in DLP unit and saw a lot less flickering from this unit. Almost unnoticable, most of the time.

LCDs and Plasma have pixels that go out on you. You can't replace them. It sucks! Ever watch a movie and you know about that burned out pixel? You can't enjoy the movie because you are looking at that one, two, or three pixels that you just can't take your eyes off of.

CRT's in my opinion are still the best. No pixels to burn out, no mossiacs, and great picture quality. Yes, I understand about replacing the tubes and adjustments that need to be made, but if you don't use it as often and the expectations are to purchase a new set to upgrade in a few years, it's worth it. Just make sure it's got a HDMI connection.

I don't have over-the-air hd or use my Dish Network or Comcast to get any HDTV signals.

Actually, I havn't watched any TV programs in almost 6 months. I am thinking of switching to Direct TV though...

I do use my HDTV set to watch upconverted DVD movies on my LG DVD player.

I also use it to view videos I've taken with my Sony FX-1 camcorder. I love my camcorder! I use the component cable for HD to plug in my camcorder to the TV.

Tommy Haupfear March 4th, 2006 02:55 PM

John, I think you meant that your Hitachi 62" is a CRT rear-projection HD set. The largest consumer CRT (tube) is 34" for widescreen and 40" for 4:3.

Also, thats the first I've heard of a Sony DLP. Do you have a model #? To my knowledge they only manufacture plasma, CRTs, and LCD/CRT RPTVs.

I run a Sony 50" LCD rear projection and a Sony 34" HD CRT.
I just wish Sony would allow their LCD RPTVs to be used as computer monitors like Panasonic and Samsung have done with LCD and DLP RPTVs.

John Kang March 4th, 2006 09:48 PM

I'll be heading to Fry's tomorrow to help a friend out with a new mother board for his computer system, I'll try and stop by Best Buys to see if I can find out what model number it is.

Jon Omiatek March 5th, 2006 09:39 AM

62" Crt

Currently, on Hitachi's website, they don't sell CRT's anymore, options are:

Plasma (PDP) / LCD Televisions

Projection / LCD Projection TV

Home Cinema Projectors

I know my 34" Sony HDTV CRT weighs like 400lbs. I wouldn't even like to guess how much a 62" crt would cost or weigh.

Jon

John Kang March 7th, 2006 09:37 PM

Ok, it looks like the system is a crt, rear projection unit.

I was mistaken. They had it lined up next to the DLP displays.

It said something like xlbr display. They did have some LCD displays though which looked better than some of the other lcd systems.

Tommy Haupfear March 7th, 2006 10:11 PM

Jon East, No doubt the Sony 34" CRTs are massive(mine is the KV-34XBR800) and if I sold my house it would be included in the price. Its nice that Sony provided recessed handles for such a heavy tube but moving is just painful (even if you're just watching). :)

Jon Omiatek March 8th, 2006 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Kang
Ok, it looks like the system is a crt, rear projection unit.

I was mistaken. They had it lined up next to the DLP displays.

It said something like xlbr display. They did have some LCD displays though which looked better than some of the other lcd systems.

So it's rear projection NOT A CRT. It's one or the other, not both. Secondly, there is no way the Rear projection will look better than a Sony SXRD DLP TV(KDS-R60XBR1), absolutely no way.

Jon

R Geoff Baker March 10th, 2006 04:12 PM

A rear projection crt is still a crt -- something has to be projected. Choices are LCD, Plasma or CRT. A top end rear projection CRT is better in picture quality than anything else available ... as long as you don't mind the size, and keep the tubes adjusted. My Sony has a single button automatic alignment button which takes a few seconds to line everything up.

I'm happy for you that you like your set, but if you actually have a 1920x1080 HD source, it will look better on a top end crt projector ...

Cheers,
GB