DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Connecting to preview monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/29366-connecting-preview-monitor.html)

Richard Brand July 20th, 2004 11:50 PM

Connecting to preview monitor

I am having trouble previewing on a preview monitor I recently acquired. The monitor is a Sony PVM9220. The monitor works well enough when I just play a tape through it off my GL2/XM2, but when I try to preview through Vegas I get a blank screen. I have followed the intructions in Vegas help. I connected my XM2 to the firewire port of my PC and then ran an RCA cable to the BNC port of the monitor (I used an adaptor). I have played with the settings in the video options within vegas, but nothing seems to work. Are there some settings I need to play with on the XM2?

Any help would be welcomed.

(I have a Nvidia GeForce fx5200 VGa card)

Ed Smith July 21st, 2004 02:25 AM

Hi Richard,

I don't use Vegas but generally these are the steps you need to take:

Make sure the camera is in VCR mode and connected to the computer via firewire. you then need to take the composite out from the camera to your monitor.

Is there not a preference in vegas that says something abuot DV Playback? if so make sure this is ticked.

You should now hopefully be able to preview via your XM2 from your Vegas timeline.

Cheers,

Richard Brand July 21st, 2004 02:30 AM

Thanks Ed. I have tried all that and fiddled with the settings on vegas, but there is still no picture. Should I also be getting a picture on the XM2 LCD screen at the same time, because I'm not getting that either.

Glenn Chan July 21st, 2004 08:17 AM

If your cam can do analog-DV conversion, you may need to set it in the right direction (DV --> analog).

In the Video preview window (alt f4), hit the TV icon to tell Vegas to send the video out through firewire.

Richard Brand July 21st, 2004 06:11 PM

Thanks Glenn. I have tried that, but still no result.

I can print to tape and the clip show up on the preview monitor whilst I am doing this.

I have concluded:

The preview monitor is receiving a signal from the camera (convertor).

The camera is receiving a signal through the firewire (I can print to tape).

The camera is converting the signal. (when I print to tape it shows on my camera's LCD and the the preview monitor).

The only thing that is not working is vegas allowing me to preview on the preview monitor whilst I am editing. I have clicked the little TV icon, I have changed the settings in the preferences dialog box. I'm about to throw a few things around the room.

Please someone save my sanity!

Rob Lohman August 1st, 2004 04:08 PM

Yes, you should see the signal on your LCD/viewfinder when you
edit. Are you sure your GL2 is in VCR mode?