DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Shielding NTSC monitor from computer monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/38853-shielding-ntsc-monitor-computer-monitor.html)

Brian Tori February 3rd, 2005 07:21 PM

Shielding NTSC monitor from computer monitor

In my current setup, I have a 13" NTSC monitor set above my CRT computer monitor. The NTSC monitor sits on a shelf about 3" above the computer monitor. When powered up, the NTSC monitor creates electromagnetic interference with my comp. monitor. The interference creates horizontal lines and makes it very hard to read screen clearly. Any ideas to isolate the monitors to reduce this problem? I am considering a piece of sheet metal to slide under my NTSC.

Glenn Chan February 3rd, 2005 07:37 PM

You can set your computer monitor's refresh rate to 60hz, although that doesn't really solve the problem and your eyes will hurt when you look at the computer monitor too much.

You can try sliding a sheet of metal in between, but I don't find it helps.

The best thing to do is to move the monitors away from each other, like:
Put them side by side, with a few inches in between
Put a phone book under the NTSC monitor (this may create ergonomics problems when you're looking up too much?).

Or, have a LCD screen between the CRT computer monitor and the NTSC monitor.

Ed Liew February 3rd, 2005 07:38 PM

try changing the hz of the pc monitor. sometime it might help.

ed

Jacob Walker February 4th, 2005 11:50 PM

I've found that going up high like 100 hert (if video card allows) helps. Usally its workable although if you look close at the monitor it still kinda shakes.

Carlos E. Martinez February 5th, 2005 10:22 AM

Re: Shielding NTSC monitor from computer monitor

<<<-- Originally posted by Brian Tori : In my current setup, I have a 13" NTSC monitor set above my CRT computer monitor. The NTSC monitor sits on a shelf about 3" above the computer monitor. When powered up, the NTSC monitor creates electromagnetic interference with my comp. monitor. The interference creates horizontal lines and makes it very hard to read screen clearly. Any ideas to isolate the monitors to reduce this problem? I am considering a piece of sheet metal to slide under my NTSC. -->>>

Do you know if your NTSC monitor has a speaker inside? That is indeed likely to produce eletromagnetic interference.

If not it might be the transformers inside.

A steel or iron sheet metal may improve things a bit, as long as it covers the magnetizing area.

Changing the CRT monitor frequency would also improve things. On my monitor I get better results at 75Hz, but you should try others.

You may also get a mu-metal supplier through Google and get yourself a mu-metal sheet. They might not be large though.

But my stronger guess is an speaker might be causing the problem. If that is the case it might not be easy to solve, only putting the NTSC monitor away until distortion is gone.

Carlos