DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   production monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/39046-production-monitor.html)

Michael Bendixen February 7th, 2005 07:26 PM

production monitor

Any recommendations on a lightweight, battery powered field monitor?

Rob Lohman February 8th, 2005 07:03 AM

If you are looking for a true broadcast monitor Sony has several
models for field use and battery power. They are use a lot in the
TV world.

Michael Bendixen February 8th, 2005 10:16 AM

Any recs?

Rob Lohman February 9th, 2005 04:56 AM

I can't help you with more detailed specifics. I would suggest you
do a search on this board on "broadcast monitor" and see what
that turns up. The matter has been discussed a couple of times
in the past.

Rhett Allen February 9th, 2005 01:07 PM

The Sony PVM-8045Q (8 inch 450 lines) has an optional battery systems. I don't have it, but as I remember, it was almost as much as the monitor. I know Sony makes a couple that run off battery power as well as AC/DC. You might look over there.

Carlos E. Martinez February 9th, 2005 01:47 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Rhett Allen : The Sony PVM-8045Q (8 inch 450 lines) has an optional battery systems. I don't have it, but as I remember, it was almost as much as the monitor. I know Sony makes a couple that run off battery power as well as AC/DC. You might look over there. -->>>

You can use any battery, as long as the voltage is correct and the battery amperage is highe. That data is printed on the back of any monitor.

Don't be limited to Sony products, because they should be awfully expensive.

Important: current demand should be high, so lithium ion batteries are out. Only gel, nicads and NiMHs can be used.

Carlos

Ed Liew February 9th, 2005 10:45 PM

charles p once recommended a portable lcd monitor with harddisk recorder on this forum. maybe you can do a search on this subject matters.

ed

Rob Lohman February 10th, 2005 05:39 AM

Also take a look at this thread that was just started:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=39193

Chris Byrnes February 10th, 2005 06:24 PM

alternative approach

consider a laptop computer running DVRack from Serious Magic. It provides you with a host of quality control tools. It requires firewire out from your camera.

Rhett Allen February 10th, 2005 07:14 PM

I guess you could also use VideoViewer on the Mac. It will allow you to run the Firewire input and view it on the desktop. No big frills like DVRack but it does have a little waveform/vectorscope etc. and it's super cheap. Actually I guess you can try it out for free. Otherwise it's $19. (yes that says NINETEEN dollars)

Video Viewer

Bryan McCullough February 12th, 2005 09:07 AM

Rhett,

Thanks for that link! I'm giving it a try.

And it looks like the cost is only $9! So you can get lunch and the Video Viewer for $19! :)

Rhett Allen February 12th, 2005 02:22 PM

You know, I thought it said $9 but I went back and checked and thought it said $19. Either way, it's really cheap, not quite as powerful as I would like, but a cheap and easy way to get an external viewer for framing and such.

Aaron Fessler February 19th, 2005 04:31 PM

I highly recommend DVRack from Serious Magic. (www.seriousmagic.com) I sold my battery powered LCD field monitor in favor of it. It does a heck of a lot more than just allowing you to frame shots.

Rhett Allen February 19th, 2005 06:54 PM

DVRack is a cool looking program but unfortunately if you look at Michael's profile you'll see that he uses FCP which means he's a Mac user and Serious Magic isn't interested in developing for the Mac platform. Unfortunately he would need to invest the $500 for the software on top of the purchase of a PC laptop which would put him well within the range of buying a monitor, and that could be used for much more than just DV work.
I, personally, really would love to see something like DVRack for the Mac but it doesn't look very promising.

James Connors February 19th, 2005 08:21 PM

I've heard mention of DVrack before, and finally clicked the link.

wow.

I want!

My laptop will be underpowered tho, I wonder if it might get away with it because its Intel not AMD (they don't state chipset, and a P3 will be better at 900mhz than the AMD equivalent for video at a guess) so I might just scrape it. It looks excellent, and so much more convenient for people like me who have limited space and limited amount of equipment I can keep anyway.

Again.. wow.