DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Confused, frustrated and still searching for a 22 to 24" monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/473747-confused-frustrated-still-searching-22-24-monitor.html)

Jon Vincent February 27th, 2010 12:29 PM

Confused, frustrated and still searching for a 22 to 24" monitor

We have an MXO2 LE that we're using to capture footage. Our capture area is in a different room than the camera and the talent. I would like to have a good HDMI monitor in the capture area to see what's going on. Problem is I don't have a ton of money to spend on it at the moment. Given that we're only using it to check framing and focus, and not doing color grading I thought we might be able to find something in the sub $400 range.

I have spent several days looking for something. Every time I think I found one though I discover that it's got some sort of problem or that it's been discontinued.

Here's what we need:

22 to 24"
1920x1080
1:1 pixel mapping on the HDMI
Can work in RGB, but YUV support would be nice
NO dynamic contrast, or at least the ability to turn it off
VESA mounts would be good to have, but not a deal killer
Decent color controls to try and dial it in as much as possible

What we looked at so far:
Benq v2400hd - Spec'd out great, but has been discontinued
HP W2338H - great reviews, but no 1:1 mapping
Samsung 2333HD - Boy this one looked like winner, and I found it really cheap. Then I found out it used dynamic contrast and that it cannot be overridden.

I have looked at many, many others, but cannot seem to find any that meet these (what I consider) basic spec's.

Has anyone found a decent monitor that fills this bill? Would like to get something ordered soon.

Thx

Brian Tori February 28th, 2010 03:31 PM

Jon,

Try this. Just ordered the 15" version myself. I like Viewsonic's images.

Viewsonic | VT2430 24" Widescreen LCD HDTV | VT2430 | B&H

Jon Vincent March 1st, 2010 01:14 PM

Thx Brian. Can't find much information on the Viewsonic. I know one that I looked at did not have pixel mapping, but not sure if this one does or not - no review mentions it. The one review I did see said that it lacked a lot of the typical color control, but that they were still able to dial in a very nice picture.

Kelly Langerak March 2nd, 2010 11:10 PM

Jon, I can't contact you from your profile page. Beers? I live in Pinole.

Juan McFarland March 15th, 2010 08:29 PM

I've used a Dell 2408WFP to good effect as a HD studio client monitor. If you just need it for framing and to check focus it can fill the bill. Color accuracy is pretty good on this monitor as well.

I think Dell has a newer model out now 2410xxx?

Jon Vincent March 15th, 2010 10:01 PM

Thanks Juan. I have heard good things about the Dell. Ended up going with a Samsung 2333HD though. Chose it mostly by trolling the gaming sites - lol.

I got it really cheaply and it supports 1:1 pixel mapping. Would have liked more color control, definitely would not have chosen it for color grading, but it looks okay and is suited for this purpose.