DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Matrox MXO2 Mini...no controller? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/474964-matrox-mxo2-mini-no-controller.html)

Chris Estrella March 17th, 2010 01:45 AM

Matrox MXO2 Mini...no controller?

I've been looking to get an I/O card to get a colour-accurate monitor, and I think I've decided to go with the Matrox MXO2 Mini, since I can hook it up to one of my 24" computer monitors and calibrate it, rather than my previous option of getting a Blackmagic Intensity Pro, because I would have to (as far as I understand) get an HD LCD TV anyway, which would be another $500.

I've searched up some vendors to buy the MXO2 Mini and found several that sell them for quite cheap: Matrox MXO2 Mini HDMI and Analog I/O for MAC/PC - No Controller: MXO2MINI/NC at BEST PRICE -- around $350.00 CDN!

However, all those listings say "no controller"...does anyone know what this means? I read that when you buy the Mini, it comes with either a PCI-express card or ExpressCard34 to hook up from the computer to the mini. Is this the "controller" they're speaking of?

Thanks in advance!

Jase Tanner March 17th, 2010 09:09 AM

It does look that way. Those prices seem a little too good to be true otherwise. FWIW, B&H sells the PCIe Host Adapter for $99 which would bring the cost in line more or less with most other places. I'd be wary. Wouldn't surprise me if their cost for the adapter is somewhat higher than others.

B&H prices aside however, Other World Computing offers very low prices for both the PCIe Host Adapter and for an Express Card 34. In general OWC has a good reputation but I don't know about these particular products. I also don't know for sure if the adapter required for the Matrox is proprietary or not but I don't think so.

As you can guess, I don't own an MX02 but will probably get one in the next little while as well.

Jeff Pulera March 17th, 2010 10:39 AM

The host controllers for the MXO2 Mini are definitely proprietary, just buy the kit (laptop or desktop) from an authorized dealer, pricing from one dealer to the next should not vary much.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Chris Estrella March 17th, 2010 11:47 AM

If that's the case...yeah, then I have to buy the host controller ($99 USD) and cable ($49 USD) at B&H, and that pretty much makes up for the cost!

What did you mean that the controllers are proprietary? Means that I HAVE to use Matrox's controllers/the adapter is only made for Matrox?

While we're on the topic of the Matrox MXO2, I could use your opinions based on what I mentioned earlier. Should I use the MXO2 Mini with a computer monitor and calibrate it? Or use the Intensity Pro and an HDTV? Obviously I'd love to get an MXO + HDTV, but my budget doesn't quite allow for it in the near future. I also read that MXO's are made for ACD's, but I was planning to use a Dell (with component) or BenQ (with HDMI) monitor...if anyone knows the answer, it'd much appreciated :)

Peter Malko October 15th, 2010 08:21 AM

About what you mentioning before, the MXO2 mini doesn't have a controller. The slot cards are merely a communication device that gets the system to see the mxo2. Although, upon installation the mxo2 has a menu from which you can change the input and output and "control" how you want to display the timeline your working with, such as upscaling and downscaling without making any changes to your original work.

It can all be found on their website.
Matrox MXO2 Family for PC - Overview

Peter Malko November 16th, 2010 01:24 PM

Of course, another "controller" the mini doesn't have that the other MXO2 boards have is the RS422 connection for deck control.