DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   HP Dreamcolor calibration (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/479831-hp-dreamcolor-calibration.html)

Darek Sepiolo June 3rd, 2010 09:33 AM

HP Dreamcolor calibration

I've got HP Dreamcolor monitor connected to MacPro via BlackMagic HD LinkPro (display port) to monitor FCP footage. I managed to calibrate the monitor using APS soft and the Xrite/HP calibrator. During the calibration the monitor is connected to MacPro via DVI cable and works as a computer monitor. Then I disconnect one and use BlackMagic to feed the signal. Is the calibrated profile stored in the monitor regardless of the signal source?

Tim Polster June 6th, 2010 09:26 AM

Darek,

I don't know the specific answer, but it is good to treat signal for television separately from signal for the internet. The way I think of it is a separate "broadcast" monitor is to show what your editing will look like in a television environment. When I am editing for the web, I look at the calibrated preview window in my editor. They are different, at least on my system.

A call to Blackmagic would be the best bet as the display port is relatively new. The blurry mix of televisions and computer monitors makes it tough to know what true calibration is and should be.

Hope this helps.

Charles Papert June 6th, 2010 12:51 PM

Darek:

I'm using the Dreamcolor as a production monitor via HDMI and would love to know the answer to this also. Please let us know if you do learn more.

Steve Kalle June 6th, 2010 09:04 PM

I researched the Dreamcolor and I know that it requires both a progressive and RGB signal in order to use the presets.

If the Dreamcolor is 'hardware' calibrated, then yes to your question. Hardware calibration means that the settings are stored within the monitor. At least this is my experience with other monitors (I ended up getting an Eizo CG243W).

Peter Moretti June 7th, 2010 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darek Sepiolo (Post 1534424)
I've got HP Dreamcolor monitor connected to MacPro via BlackMagic HD LinkPro (display port) to monitor FCP footage. I managed to calibrate the monitor using APS soft and the Xrite/HP calibrator. During the calibration the monitor is connected to MacPro via DVI cable and works as a computer monitor. Then I disconnect one and use BlackMagic to feed the signal. Is the calibrated profile stored in the monitor regardless of the signal source?

I would think and easy and difinitve way to check this would be to make another profile that is way off. Then switch sources and see if the image is still way off; if it is you know the profile is stored in the monitor. Just an idea.

Darek Sepiolo June 7th, 2010 05:49 PM

Thank you. I've done some testing and it looks like the calibrated profile stays regardless the connection.