DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   DP1x has been discontinued (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/485248-dp1x-has-been-discontinued.html)

Rohan Dadswell September 24th, 2010 06:44 PM

DP1x has been discontinued

Just went to the Small HD site to find that the DP1x has been discontinued.
Anyone know if they are planning a new version (with SDI?) or are they just concentrating on the smaller monitor?

Damian Heffernan September 25th, 2010 07:33 AM

love to know this as well. I went to the site to buy one and found they were all gone :(

Thinking about buying the DP6 but I would hold out for a larger one (the 8-9 inch range is perfect for what I need most of the time).

Larry Kelly September 25th, 2010 05:36 PM

Don't mean to gloat but I think we got the last one. We finally decided on going with the DP1X and went to the site and it showed it was discontinued, just our luck!!. We thought we had nothing to loose so we phoned them up and they said oh wait a minute I think we have one left so we snagged it. It arrived on Friday, hooked it up for about 15minutes, it looks great so far, but then got so busy that it's back in the box until next week when things slow down a bit. give them a call, maybe they have held a few in reserve for those who phone and beg.

Larry

Trevor Meeks September 26th, 2010 01:24 AM

According to their tweets, the LCD panel manufacturer discontinued the panel they used in the DP1X.

I have two DP1X monitor that I'm willing to sell if anyone is interested. Just got my DP6 and I'll be getting another one for sure. What a freakin' badass monitor!

Damian Heffernan September 28th, 2010 08:00 AM

how do you find the 6 compared to the 1? are you finding the drop in size an issue?

on a side note (and they may be really busy) I`ve emailed them 3 times now and have yet to get a response??

Trevor Meeks September 29th, 2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian Heffernan (Post 1573630)
how do you find the 6 compared to the 1? are you finding the drop in size an issue?

Hi Damien,

I've really enjoyed the DP1 monitors. The size is great and they work fantastically in most situations. They DP1x firmware upgrade really streamlined things and I've never had any issues with the units. The color on the DP1 was never super accurate, even after calibration I found a little bit to be desired, but they are very close and I use them for focus mostly anyway. The controls on the back take some getting used to, but after about 15 minutes with your fingers behind the monitor you get used to it. Generally you don't have to touch the controls after initial setup.

That all being said, the DP6 really is the culmination of a lot of effort taken on SmallHD's part to directly address their customers' feedback and deliver a truly revolutionary monitor that just works. The thing is downright easy to use with the new wheel interface and two shortcut buttons, and the panel is insanely sharp. If you've seen a comparison between the iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4 screens, this is a similar type of deal. The DP6's LCD panel is something like 270 pixels per inch - for reference, high quality printing is done at about 300dpi.

The color on the monitor is more accurate right out of the box, and while calibration via blue-only is available, I haven't felt a need for it at all after my tests. I'll play with that eventually, but you'll see that the pretty unanimous conclusion between the early DP6 adopters is that the DP6 colors, contrast, saturation etc are really much improved over the DP1.

Size is not an issue really. In fact, 5.6" really is a fantastic size for either close-up viewing (I use the DP6 on my shoulder rig with the sun hood, as a sort of "viewfinder" type setup) and also gives a director the ability to look over your shoulder if you're shooting with the monitor on top of the camera. Focus assist is AWESOME, and although it seems to be a bit of a preference thing for some people, I really do like it now that I've gotten used to it. Can't wait to operate this thing on the steadicam in focus assist mode.

Anyway, I could go on and on but really it's everything you'd expect from these guys, and more. Same great build quality, customer service and tons of features, in an easily upgradeable monitor that really rocks for the price.

Not sure if you've seen Andrew Dean's post about the Dp6, but it's a couple threads down - he gives a great review and lots of great points on this monitor.

Enjoy!

Damian Heffernan September 30th, 2010 07:12 AM

I did read the Dean post and have been erring towards getting one. I was a little concerned about dropping a couple of inches (size is everything right?) but you`ve swayed me on that.

I`m about to turn my EX1 into a matte box wearing Dof adapter sporting follow focusing monitor clad machine and the monitor is critical because of the dof adapter. I find the focus tricky enough with the normal lens using the standard viewfinder/monitor.

Trevor Meeks September 30th, 2010 10:49 AM

Damian,

You'll find the DP6 to be perfect on the EX1. I'd strongly suggest springing for the DP6-SDI. Although it's a bit more money, the added benefit of HD-SDI with loop-through is a very nice touch for cameras with SDI output (such as the EX1.)

Andrew Dean September 30th, 2010 07:24 PM

Honestly, I think the dp6 is much better than the dp1x for focusing. The size allows you to get a bit closer comfortably, and the peaking and focus assist make a big difference. With both a dp1x and a dp6 in my case, i only bring out the dp1 for jib and director.

Its just my opinion, but if asked to choose just one, i'd pick the dp6 hands down.

cheers!
-a

John Colette October 28th, 2010 08:25 PM

I have a DP-1 I'd be happy to sell. It can have the upgrade done to the DP-1X for $100 from small HD.

PM me if anyone's interested.

John