DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Need advice: Simple live playback setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/486016-need-advice-simple-live-playback-setup.html)

Mike Marriage October 12th, 2010 07:03 AM

Need advice: Simple live playback setup

Hi guys

I've recently edited together footage for a theatrical production. It is pretty simple with only 3 cues but it starts and ends the show so is very important. It is video and audio synced and the audio will need to be routed through the sound system. We originally had a DMX cued system arranged but have canceled as it can't output the audio as required.

They can't afford me or a separate op to cue just 3 cues for every performance, so the (Deputy) Stage Manager will do it. Therefore I need a very simple system that can playback instantly on cue from a laptop. Ideally it would work with the projector acting as the secondary monitor and the laptop monitor showing the cues etc.

I'm thinking along the lines of an itunes (ie simple) interface where the DSM can just select the cue and then hit space bar to play it instantly. I considered tape but as the timing is critical this could be tricky and I'm not sure if the DSM will want to be cuing it up whilst concentrating on other things.

I am familiar with high end systems like Catalyst but that is overkill for this. Budget is tight.

Many thanks!!!

Rohan Dadswell October 13th, 2010 03:41 PM

Hi Mike,

Have a look at QLab Figure 53 | QLab | Live Show Control for Mac OS X
We have started using it for shows and so far have been happy with it.
If you already have a mac book it will probably fit within your budget.

It can do far more than simple video playback - but that is all we are using it for at the moment.

Andrew Dean October 14th, 2010 04:05 AM

This probably isnt helpful to your particular situation, but for live stuff i use liveworship or propresenter. Its funky since both are designed to be church software, but both are great for having a library of video clips that you can play instantly on demand in order or just nonlinear with a click.

I already own liveworship for my church and propresenter for my mate's church, so the price isn't an issue as it would be if you were buying it cold.

It sucks that they've intentionally crippled itunes for dual head video playback. Its more than capable of doing it, if they'd let it. Then you could have your videos "like itunes" actually be in itunes!

cheers,
-a

Mike Marriage October 14th, 2010 05:40 AM

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input. I'm taking a look at the demos now.

Any other ideas welcome as I don't need to buy just yet.

Arnie Schlissel October 14th, 2010 08:36 AM

If your needs are really that simple, you might be able to do this with VLC player, which is free.

videolan.org