DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Good bang for your buck monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/488703-good-bang-your-buck-monitor.html)

Brian Luce December 9th, 2010 04:59 PM

Good bang for your buck monitor

This thing works pretty good! It's the screen you'll find on most netbooks. 10" with hdmi. It's only 100 bucks. If you're on a budget, for framing and focusing, this is a solution to consider.
Buy media player, portable media player, HDD player, HOT SALE! Chines Version 10'' Portable media player, support 1024*576 resolution, RM, RMVB, support VGA input, HDMI input at Aliexpress.com

Daniel Weber December 10th, 2010 10:37 AM

What power options does it provide?

Also, what camera are you using it with?

Kevin Walsh December 10th, 2010 08:36 PM

The side view shows a 12V DC socket and a charge light. I'll bet a Tekkeon batt would be fine for this. It also looks like the casing is coming apart.
*Just noticed the specs say it has a built in batt as well.

Panagiotis Raris December 10th, 2010 08:43 PM

looks like a good deal vs other providers for a disposable monitor/focus puller assist monitor.

Brian Luce December 11th, 2010 05:09 AM

It just arrived today. Built in 2 hour battery and shore power. Even comes with a cigarette lighter power cord. Took about 3 days from China to the West Coast for delivery.

Build quality isn't like a Marshal but it's way more build quality than one would expect for a $100. Although I'm not real crazy about the power switch, it's plastic and not flush. Generally, if you're the only one using it, it should last, but if you're renting it out or passing it out to hired crew on a larger scale shoot, I'd say no, but then again, if you're on a larger scale shoot you probably wouldn't be using a $100 monitor any way. But for 1-3 man shoots? Golden.

I tested it with a Canon 7D with HDMI cable and it's much better than bending over and squinting through a loop or using the LCD. No comparison. Framing and focus are a snap now. I'm assuming it will also be much easier to spot moire and aliasing with it. A 10" screen is nice. It'll spoil you.

All that remains to be seen is how long it lasts. I'll post if it blows up on me.

Paul Cook December 16th, 2010 05:12 AM

Sounds like a great second / backup monitor to have in your bag - especially for the price! Would be great if you could post some pictures of it in action, on the web site it says it weighs 1.8kg? So definitely not a light weight run and gun option ;-)

Brian Luce December 17th, 2010 02:22 AM

I will post some pics as soon as I get the support arms and brackets I ordered. I used it on one shoot with just a Home Depot corner brace as a mounting bracket, a light stand brass fitting set in a c-stand.

When I got mine the vendor was out of English labeled buttons, so the exterior has Chinese writing on it. Client who is Asian himself said "Where'd you get THAT!" So, I suggest getting the one with English buttons markings. wait for it if temp out of stock. The packing box also deserves a photo, all I'll say is never let a client see the box it came in -- looks like something you'd find in a Beijing swap meet for gamers. But image quality is pretty good, especially for the money. 10" size might not be typical, but I go with bigger is better.

Sanjin Svajger December 17th, 2010 07:48 AM

How are the viewing angles? It's probably a TN panel for this price tag...