DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Sony Monitor for Alpha SLT/DSLRs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/489959-sony-monitor-alpha-slt-dslrs.html)

Dave Blackhurst January 10th, 2011 02:30 AM

Sony Monitor for Alpha SLT/DSLRs

Can't seem to find it on the Sony site yet, but I thought this was an interesting "accessory". Makes it look like Sony might be stepping it up a notch in the video department?

Sony Alpha CLM-V55 movie monitor hands on - Pocket-lint

Certainly is an interesting add-on and as the article notes, might open up some possibilities for the HDMI out when the firmware updates come out.

Bill Koehler January 10th, 2011 11:21 AM

If you put an external recorder on the NEX-VG10, this would be a possible option for the external monitor there as well...

Sabyasachi Patra January 15th, 2011 03:18 AM

The original article in Sony's site: http://presscentre.sony.eu/content/d...3&NewsAreaId=2

Though I shoot & film using a Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, I am pretty excited with this Sony gadget. The price of external LCD viewers like Zacuto is similar. LCDVF is about half of it. I use a LCDVF however, I would prefer an external monitor like this which can be mounted on the flash bracket. Also, while filming, when the record button in the DSLR is on, one cannot zoom in to check the focus. This will help in that regard.

When one compares the pricing of this one with other external monitors, this one is likely to be preferred.

It also says that one can monitor the sound (mono speaker) using a headphone. Would love to hear if someone has experienced it.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Felix van Oost January 16th, 2011 01:51 AM

I'm ready to jump on this for my NX5 as soon as it's released...

Kirk Candlish February 18th, 2011 05:01 PM

Here's a hands on overview of the SONY CLM-V55

Sanjin Svajger February 28th, 2011 07:14 AM

Re: Sony Monitor for Alpha SLT/DSLRs

I don't get it...there are all this monitors intended for DSLRs but almost none of the have a waveform or at least zebras (some of them have false colour yes, but a waveform is a must if you ask me...). I found only one monitor that is intended! for DSLR users which has a waveform - SWIT S1070+C. Interesting enough I can't find a single review of that monitor and by functions it looks like a perfect fit for a dslr...

Anyway this monitor from Sony looks quite decent for it's price tag (judging from the video review). I like the viewing angles (side to side) - to bad he didn't tilt the monitor up and down to see the vertical viewing angles!

Kirk Candlish February 28th, 2011 01:46 PM

What's not to understand ?

How many DSLR users do you think would even have a clue about using a waveform on their monitor ?

The market is driven by wannabes and the price points of peripherals are low given the market. That's where the SONY fits in. It is a good value but it's not a pro monitor.

Sanjin Svajger February 28th, 2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk Candlish (Post 1622910)
What's not to understand ?
The market is driven by wannabes and the price points of peripherals are low given the market.

If you put it like that then yes: it is understandable why this monitors aimed at dslr users don't have waveforms and other must features. But there also are lots of people that know what they are doing and would appreciate waveforms and zebras in a low cost monitor (price range around 600€ - 800€). There are so many monitors with tons of useful features but almost none with a waveform. If you ask me: remove all those features and just give me a waveform and maybe zebras! That way the price of a monitor wouldn't change...

It's funny because exposure monitoring should be the first thing on the list of features not the last...

Kirk Candlish February 28th, 2011 08:31 PM

I think if you spoke with most new video shooters who are using DSLRs you'd find peaking is what they want most.

Buba Kastorski March 1st, 2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanjin Svajger (Post 1623014)
It's funny because exposure monitoring should be the first thing on the list of features not the last...

I always thought that focus monitoring is the first thing in the list, and if I had to choose less expensive monitor I would be more interested in focus assist features, like peaking;
but that's me;

Sanjin Svajger March 1st, 2011 10:17 AM

Focusing yes... I don't know. I guess that would depend on what you are doing. For run and gun I guess a focussing feature would be more welcomed. But for narrative video shooting where there is time I would welcome an exposure feature more than focusing. If I have time to focus and if I would need to chose between this to features I would go for a waveform. Doing lighting by eye is a very limiting thing to do...

It all depends on what you are doing.

Jason Burkhimer March 2nd, 2011 07:38 AM

Looks like its showing up at dealers!

CLM-V55 | Portable Monitor| Sony | Sony Style USA

Sean Seah March 2nd, 2011 09:55 AM

i wonder how does it compare to the 5" Marshall

Ron Little March 4th, 2011 09:14 AM

I am really considering this for monitoring my Nanoflash. Has anyone got one yet?

Steve Kalle March 5th, 2011 03:27 AM

I might be wrong but I thought you had to have an SDI signal to get waveform which is why the inexpensive monitors, which have HDMI but no SDI, do not have waveform.