DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Mount monitor to light stand (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/490599-mount-monitor-light-stand.html)

Mike Watson January 23rd, 2011 01:50 PM

Mount monitor to light stand

I'm looking for a simple mount to get a VESA monitor onto a 5/8" baby lightstand. These should be a dime a dozen, it's a $5 plate welded to a $5 baby receptor. But I can't find that, I can only find overly complicated systems that look like they will quickly lose parts or break for $200.

Can anyone suggest something?

Giroud Francois January 23rd, 2011 03:03 PM

i mounted a 17" VGA screen on a mic stand.
The mic stand is a model with heavy round base plate and a telescopic tube with spring inside.
i just drilled 2 holes at the top of the tube and installed a vesa plate to fix the screen.
even when deployed at full lenght (about 5' ) it is still very stable.
i used it as teleprompter so i can set the screen just under the lens or just side to side with cam.
if you plan for bigger screen , you can add more weight at the base or fix it on a larger piece of wood.

Steve Oakley January 24th, 2011 08:37 PM

if you can't weld yourself, take it to a local machine shop - which includes many local auto parts stores and have them weld a peice of 6" long 5/8 steel to the VESA plate. you can then use a standard grip head for holding... but be aware that a grip head is not the ideal thing to grab a monitor with. if you can get the 5/8 rod bent 90deg to face down, you can use most stands with receivers + adapter... any number of good combinations out there. I did see matthews has a bracket for like $250 that looks great, but really... $250 ?????

Mike Watson January 24th, 2011 09:21 PM

Anywhere I could buy just a 5/8" receiver? I don't want to over complicate this, and I don't necessarily need to waste a knuckle holding a monitor that would get by just fine without it.

Steve Oakley January 24th, 2011 09:23 PM

sure, try filmtools.com, matthews, manfrotto, ect. you will then need a peice of 90deg angle to join the 2 bits together bolting the receiver to the plate. either way it will all cost about the same.

Steve Kalle January 27th, 2011 01:35 AM

This is what I have for my Panasonic BT-LH1710W http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/504173-REG/Delvcam_DELV_LCD1_DELV_LCD1_Combo_Stand.html
Because it doesn't tilt, I find it to be a major PITA especially when I use the monitor outdoors with a hood but even in the studio, it gets tiresome. Just realize that most monitors require a fairy direct view for perfect colors and contrast. And if you have a screen protector like I do or the screen is glossy, having the monitor tilt is even more crucial. Thus, I am ordering a new mount for a c-stand from Abel Cine that is a posi-lock (or whatever you call it) that looks similar to a grip head. I don't know the model as I just saw it today but I do know its not the Abel brand cuz theirs cannot hold much weight at all.

However, the best thing about this Delvcam stand is that its far more stable than a Matthews c-stand. For me, with a $3000 LCD on it, that is the most important feature. Its also lighter than our Matthews c-stands.

Daniel Weber February 5th, 2011 09:52 PM

FilmTools used to sell these. I bought one from them about 3 years ago, I think that it was about $75.

Daniel Weber

Ronny Mills February 16th, 2011 08:15 PM

FilmtoolsŪ VESA 100mm Monitor Mount & 5/8 Pin 809100

Galen Rath February 27th, 2011 01:21 AM

Re: Mount monitor to light stand

Check out Ebay item 170606105229, $34.95 plus shipping: K&M 19685 VESA Mount to 5/8" Microphone Stand. I think this is a German made mount available elsewhere too, but haven't found it cheaper. This company appears to be using these to make mounts for IPADS.