DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Attaching Monitor to tripod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/492928-attaching-monitor-tripod.html)

Jim Snow March 10th, 2011 01:53 PM

Attaching Monitor to tripod

I just bought a Marshall 7" monitor and I'm looking for ways to attach it to the camera's tripod. I will be using it with an EX1R. When shooting weddings for example there are times when I need to take the camera off the tripod so I can shoot hand held. I don't want to have the monitor attached to the camera when I do this. I'm looking for ideas.

Don Bloom March 10th, 2011 02:42 PM

Re: Attaching Monitor to tripod

You need a Magic Arm also called an Isreali Arm and a bracket.
Manfrotto has whats called a Super Bracket and arm that would do the trick for you.

Piotr Wozniacki March 11th, 2011 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1626662)
You need a Magic Arm also called an Isreali Arm and a bracket.
Manfrotto has whats called a Super Bracket and arm that would do the trick for you.

Don, you mean the Super Clamp, right?

Don Bloom March 11th, 2011 06:06 AM

Piotr,
Why yes thats exactly what I meant. Sorry I had a brain freeze and then a mind melt.
Thanks

O|O
\--/

Piotr Wozniacki March 11th, 2011 06:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the clarification, Don - we all have those brain freezes/melts from time to time :)

So, do you think a monitor like the 7" Marshall could be fixed to the pan handle, using just an arm like the MN 823 I have, and the nanoClamp?

I'm a bit worried the inertia/gravity torque of such an assy (the Marshall is over 2 Lbs with a battery), could make the clamp slide-rotate around the handle's tube...

Thanks for your opinion,

Piotr

Don Bloom March 11th, 2011 07:11 AM

yep, I'm sure that arm and clamp would do the job but I don't know about attaching to the pan handle. It would seem that it would put a lot of weight on the handle and throw off the balance of the tripod head.
I've either attached to the tripod itself, either the center column or one of the tripod legs depending on the type of tripod I'm using for that job. Sometimes though I attach to the camera and use the monitor like a studio set up. As long as I don't have to do big pans it works fine but I actually prefer to keep it off the camera so I don't have to keep turning my head and neck.
Try it on the pan handle and see how it goes but again you might be better off with it attached somewhere on the tripod itself.

Wayne Reimer March 11th, 2011 07:46 AM

I use a monfrotto superclamp and a 7in. articulating arm as well, and attach it to the leg to the left of me when behind the camera. That seems to be the spot where I get the greatest range of viewing angles, but YMMV. Those clamps will never move once they're tight; I'd expect the arm to fail before the clamp ever would, and I don't live in fear of the arm failing...

Piotr Wozniacki March 11th, 2011 09:25 AM

I don't think mounting the arm to the tripod leg is the best solution; the monitor should always tilt and pan following the camera (i.e., the head) movement.

What I'm probably going to use is this solution from Olof Ekbergh:

CineArm Bracket for holding monitor on tripod head using existing tapped hole for arm.

Gary Nattrass March 15th, 2011 07:10 AM

Don't know if it's of any help but Libec make a monitor bracket for tripods: http://www.tnpbroadcast.co.uk/images/e_AS-5_manual.pdf

Piotr Wozniacki March 15th, 2011 07:33 AM

Nice find, Gary - thanks!

Does anyone know whether this device will fir the Manfrotto 526 head (particularly, the rosette)?

Piotr

Annie Haycock April 3rd, 2011 03:53 AM

Re: Libec AS-5

Don't know if it will fit the Manfrotto head - I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

However, what I have found when using it on a Libec L38 kit, is that it sits on the left hand side of the Libec head, and nearly every time I want to unlock the head, I find I'm loosening the arm instead as it is the first knob that my head encounters. So while it is very useful - and I find better in that position than on the top of the camera (because of where I can focus with my vari-focal glasses) - it isn't quite perfect. But then, what is?