DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Monitor for Camcorder help please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/508600-monitor-camcorder-help-please.html)

Bob Fett June 18th, 2012 03:31 PM

Monitor for Camcorder help please

Hello, (I hope it's now in the right forum)

I'm looking for an external monitor for my Sony camcorder.

I would guess it would mount on my tripod as the shoe is filled up.
Here's my problem. There are monitors like this
http://w**.lcd4video.com/7-hd-dslr-l...deo-functions/ (2 of the W's are *'s)

It says HDMI out and in. I have one HDMI on the camcorder, what kind of monitor do I need, or can I get please. How would it power itself, wall outlet, batteries, etc.

Recommendations please. I think 7" is plenty big enough, but if you don't think so, or if you think you can get by with even smaller, please let me know.

Thanks again very much

Les Wilson June 18th, 2012 04:01 PM

Re: Monitor for Camcorder help please

There's no need to obfuscate the link. Is the monitor you are asking about?
7" HD-DSLR LCD Monitor w/ Advanced Video Functions - LCD4Video

You have to power it via a battery or ac adapter. If your Camera has an HDMI output as you say, then it gets cabled to the HDMI input of the monitor. When a monitor also has an output, that is letting you daisy chain the HDMI signal to another device like an external recorder. If you didn't have that, then only one device could be hooked up to your camera.

7" is plenty big. SmallHD has some choices in 6, 5 and 4 inch. As with anything, you get what you pay for in monitors. Marshall Monitors are designed and built in California. If that matters to you.

Bill Bruner June 19th, 2012 03:21 AM

Bob - since you have a Sony camcorder, you might want to try the Sony CLM-V55 monitor ( ). At 5", it's a little smaller than the 7" you linked to, but that will make it more compact and easier to handle.

It has a tripod socket if you want to mount it on a tripod, or, if you want to mount it on your camera (with the hot shoe blocked), you can attach it with an as pictured here:

http://cdn.cnet.com.au/story_media/339329912/VG20.jpg

Here is a review of the monitor:

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Dano Motley June 19th, 2012 01:37 PM

TV Logic 5.6.
Best monitor I have used so far.

Dano

Bob Fett June 20th, 2012 02:25 AM

You guys are Awesome.

I'm going to digest all this info.

Bob Fett June 20th, 2012 02:33 AM

2 questions please Bill.

Question one is, I have a (you called it a bracket which is probably the correct term) I called it a handle, which is kind of like that, but it wont work on the big battery, only on the 2 hour battery. Any ideas if that one works with the larger battery.

2nd question please. I notice that monitor fits very nicely with the bracket, (and duh now I realize that you are using that bracket going out from the left side instead of a handle coming out the back like I am using it. I already have something which is taking up the space on the screw. So I put this thing on (the bracket out the back for the light) then I screw it on the tripod. no more room to put another thing to screw into that little thread. is something made which I can lay down as spot 1 that gives me more thread holes to attach things to?

Am I making any sense?

Camera - attached to bracket like you showed a pic of

- my bracket comes out the back and has my LED lights on it - doesn't allow any room to add another bracket to the left. I REALLY like that setup and what a good recommendation.

Thanks everyone, your help is appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Bruner (Post 1739005)
Bob - since you have a Sony camcorder, you might want to try the Sony CLM-V55 monitor ($399 battery included at Amazon). At 5", it's a little smaller than the 7" you linked to, but that will make it more compact and easier to handle.

It has a tripod socket if you want to mount it on a tripod, or, if you want to mount it on your camera (with the hot shoe blocked), you can attach it with an $8 bracket as pictured here:

http://cdn.cnet.com.au/story_media/339329912/VG20.jpg

Here is a review of the monitor:

Sony CLM-V55 on Vimeo

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Bob Fett June 20th, 2012 02:48 AM

HI Les,

Checked out a comparable Marshall, the design is really nice, but for a 5" HDMI it was $600 and it didn't have a hood like the Sony. Granted a hood wouldn't be a deal breaker, but the difference of $350 to $600 is a lot to me. I know, I know get out of being a hobbyist in an expensive hobby.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1738948)
There's no need to obfuscate the link. Is the monitor you are asking about?
7" HD-DSLR LCD Monitor w/ Advanced Video Functions - LCD4Video

You have to power it via a battery or ac adapter. If your Camera has an HDMI output as you say, then it gets cabled to the HDMI input of the monitor. When a monitor also has an output, that is letting you daisy chain the HDMI signal to another device like an external recorder. If you didn't have that, then only one device could be hooked up to your camera.

7" is plenty big. SmallHD has some choices in 6, 5 and 4 inch. As with anything, you get what you pay for in monitors. Marshall Monitors are designed and built in California. If that matters to you.

Bob Fett August 17th, 2012 04:45 PM

Hello everyone,

I wanted to add a question because an issue I have read a bit about seems to rear it's ugly head in numerous posts.

Do these monitors that I want to hook up to my Sony camcorder through an HDMI cable

A. Stop showing what you are doing while you are recording and only show playback?
B. Say the screen on the external monitor is 7" does the screen adjust upon pressing record adjust to the viewfinder size on the camera?

I ordered this one

and fortunately there were so many shipping issues that it never got here and I'm going to get something else. I read a few more recent reviews which said that if you want a Marshall get a Marshall, not something of the lowest possible end (I guess I agree, but with needing HDMI and not other hook up methods, and not having an unlimited budget, that one looked nice.

Thanks for any help. or any other HDMI recommendations.

P.S. Oh ya, forgot one thing. I have a Promaster Tripod, It's not the cheapest one, and not the most expensive one, it's middle of the road and serves it's purpose. Anyway I bought this

http://www.promaster.com/products.asp?product=7812

and I tried to get it to stay on the tripod, it would sometimes, and other times now, it was a total pain to put on and I'd say it failed 5x more than it didn't fail. Any suggestions on something I can use to hook this up and get it to come off the tripod. The Sony video camera is just too small to have the monitor in the front hotshoe, at least in the store it looked like it was going to break at any second.

Thanks.

Mark Rosenzweig August 18th, 2012 02:19 PM

Lilliput 5D-ii/O/P

The 7" Lilliput 5D-ii/O/P has an HDMI in and has focus peaking, false color, histogram, and zebra. In addition, since the HDMI output also carries the audio, the monitor has a headphone jack so you can monitor audio too. This monitor also has HDMI out so you can daisy chain an external recorder.

It also comes with an attacheable, foldable screen shade, that when folded acts to protect the screen. It is powered by an included AC, or by a standard camcorder battery (battery attachment included).

Here is a picture of the monitor without sun shade attached to the diminuitive Sony GW77 (which supplies clean HDMI output):

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSC00712.jpg

And here, with shade attached, are the three modes:

First, focus peaking:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSC00739.jpg

Next, false color:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSC00735.jpg

Finally, zebra:

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSC00738.jpg

No stripes showing - no hot spots!

There is one other trick: 1:1 pixel mapping. The camcorder attached puts out an 108060i signal, but the screen is 1024×600 (very high resolution compared to camera LCDs). The whole picture is shown normally (same as the camera LCD, without icons). But if you want to see the picture in native resolution this mode will show you; of course you only see part of the picture blown up but you can really see the quality of the picture you are getting.

Ignore the little blue camcorder attached (which as you see actually has a clean HDMI output). This is a professional monitor that is priced way below comparable monitors from, ahem, "know-name" companies..

Bob Fett August 21st, 2012 02:13 PM

Thanks Mark.

I had my eye on those, but as always I double guess myself when I read reviews like
"TOY MONITOR" "BREAKS EASILY" "NOT FOR SERIOUS USERS"

I don't think I can afford a $1k monitor, in fact I know I can't. And when my LCD is 3.5 is it really worth paying top dollar for a 5" external? Probably so because it'd dedicated and has more options on it.

It's hard for me to get past reviews, but part of me should be saying think of all the users who are happy with them but don't post on BN, Adorama, 42nd, Amazon, etc.

So it's down to these brands

Lilliputh
Ikan
Manhattan (these monitors are huge 9" but require a special $132 battery and of course we need 2 right
Marshall
Sony (gave up on that one after it didn't come with battery and other important part which cost more.

Any help please. I'll be buying here in the next few days.

Other's opinion on the Lilliputh monitor. Would having that monitor make you look any less professional, or any more professional. I'm starting to get that your gear looking nice is almost as important, if another video guy sees you, or you end up doing work for a customer.

Thanks again all.

Matt Sharp August 21st, 2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1749014)
Here is a picture of the monitor without sun shade attached to the diminuitive Sony GW77 (which supplies clean HDMI output):

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSC00712.jpg.

Mark, do you actually use that beast out in the wild? Seems like overkill, especially on a camera that's main feature is it's rugged waterproof body which you compromised by adding the monitor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Fett (Post 1749401)
when my LCD is 3.5 is it really worth paying top dollar for a 5" external? Probably so because it'd dedicated and has more options on it.

Sony (gave up on that one after it didn't come with battery and other important part which cost more.

Any help please. I'll be buying here in the next few days.

1 vote for the Sony CLM-V55. It's not that it doesn't come with the battery, just that Sony sells it with and without the battery and charger. Probably because it's advertised for their DSLT users that already have what's needed. You can still get the bundle, CLM-V55BDL, from Sony and on Amazon for $450. I wouldn't use the big batteries (QM71D, QM91D) if you're handheld, only the FM50 or FM500H.

May also want to check out the Indipro 5" screen. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=ma

Nate Haustein August 21st, 2012 04:39 PM

This 5" Marshall is without question one of the best deals you will find: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/867532-REG/Marshall_Electronics_V_LCD51_LPE6_BK_5_MONITOR_w_PRE_INSTALLED.html
5" is more than large enough - 7" is just too big for an on-camera monitor in my opinion. Additionally, the resolution is identical in most of the 5 and 7" models you are looking at, 800x480. It has HDMI input, peaking, false colors, pixel-for-pixel and a Canon LP-E6 battery mount included. There are also about 7 or 8 other battery mounts you can choose including Panasonic and Sony.

Some of the lower end Marshalls are sourced form the same place as the Lilliputs. Same goes for the lower-end Ikans. You'll find that certain models look strikingly similar... This 5" I linked to above is simply a better quality monitor than most being discussed here. I own two and would recommend them.

Bob Fett August 21st, 2012 07:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I meant to say I will mount it with this on this (don't know what it's called, but it is 3/4 of the way closed and has an area on both sides which you can slide "adapters" in and they come in all kinds of sizes. So you take this thing (I'd call it a rail, but I know what rails are and you slide things into this instead of onto a rail) and screw it to the tripod, then you get a small adapter to fit to the bottom of the camera and attach it to this thing.

You can then slide over the monitor, mic, an arm, or whatever else.

I want the monitor to not attack to the hotshoe on the front of the camera.

That Marshall I mistakenly ordered off Amazon and for over 2 weeks the package ping ponged off of every major hub for no reason with all kinds of error messages on line. Recipient not found, Address correction added, Return to sender, Shipper added information, lol so I got a refund, but that one is from BH And I can deal with them.

Mark Rosenzweig August 22nd, 2012 10:33 AM

"Mark, do you actually use that beast out in the wild? Seems like overkill, especially on a camera that's main feature is it's rugged waterproof body which you compromised by adding the monitor."

Correct - the picture is to show the monitor (with a clean screen). The combination of a 7" monitor with a waterproof GW77, is, well, absurd. It is interesting that the little GW77 puts out a clean HDMI signal, when almost all DSLRs do not. I actually use the monitor with the GH2.

But the monitor works well, and I have not seen anything suggesting it is worse than any of the more expensive 7" monitors. It does not look any more like a toy than those moitors either.

Preston Davis January 5th, 2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1749432)
This 5" Marshall is without question one of the best deals you will find: Marshall Electronics V-LCD51 5" Monitor / V-LCD51-LPE6-BK

5" is more than large enough - 7" is just too big for an on-camera monitor in my opinion. Additionally, the resolution is identical in most of the 5 and 7" models you are looking at, 800x480. It has HDMI input, peaking, false colors, pixel-for-pixel and a Canon LP-E6 battery mount included. There are also about 7 or 8 other battery mounts you can choose including Panasonic and Sony.

Some of the lower end Marshalls are sourced form the same place as the Lilliputs. Same goes for the lower-end Ikans. You'll find that certain models look strikingly similar... This 5" I linked to above is simply a better quality monitor than most being discussed here. I own two and would recommend them.

Nate, thanks. I am awaiting delivery of the Marshall you have after almost ordering the SmallHD DP4 unit. It is more money 'smaller' and I realized the color accuracy may not be better than the Marshall for the added bucks. Your post is reassuring.