DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Lcd Monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/6121-lcd-monitor.html)

Sonny Sonnenberg January 17th, 2003 08:13 AM

Lcd Monitor

Does anyone have any good ideas for a LCD monitor, possibly w/ s-video in, for use with a DV cam and jib arm? I'm looking for something probably about 4 or five inches wide. I have seen a bunch, primarily made for car headrests and such, just wondering if anybody here has had some experience and can help me out. Thanks,
Sonny

Jeff Donald January 17th, 2003 10:31 AM

Hi Sonny,

Welcome to the forums. This thread might have information and ideas for you. Also, try using the search buttom in the upper right corner. It will take you to a search engine for the DVInfo forums. I typed LCD monitor and got some good threads. It easy, so give it a try (sometimes faster , too).

Jeff

Sonny Sonnenberg January 17th, 2003 12:18 PM

Yeah

I did a search but didn't find any mention of lcd's and s-video connections, hence the posted question.

Jeff Donald January 17th, 2003 12:37 PM

I don't know of any TFT/LCD monitors with a S-Video connector. They all take composite video in, usually via RCA connectors, a few BNC. A few high end units take component in via 3 BNC connectors.

Viewing on such a small screen may not benefit a great deal from an S-Video source.

Jeff

Sonny Sonnenberg January 17th, 2003 01:39 PM

thanks,

Yeah it has been tough to find.
Component isn' t the answer either. I'm sure microsoft will have a firewire portable in the near future, only thing is I'm sure the screen will be tiny. thnaks again.

Ron Johnson January 18th, 2003 11:09 AM

Re: S-Video connections on LCD monitors.

I've found a number of monitors below 10" will accept S-Video In - especially the ones coupled to portable DVD players, but they don't display full S-Video resolution.

The smallest LCD I've seen so far with S-Video IN AND display capability is the Sharp Aquos 10" LCD TV.

Has anyone else seen smaller monitors with full S-Video resolution?

Ron Johnson
Portland, OR

Boyd Ostroff January 18th, 2003 12:43 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by adhocMedia :
The smallest LCD I've seen so far with S-Video IN AND display capability is the Sharp Aquos 10" LCD TV.

Yeah, that's a nice little screen but seems way pricey for what you get. We're looking for small LCD video screens to use backstage at Opera Company of Philadelphia and not finding a lot of choices either. The best value in LCD's seem to be computer monitors, but the cheap ones don't have composite or s-video inputs. We just got a VGA scan converter for about $85 to experiment with.

At home I have a 15" Samsung SyncMaster 151MP LCD screen. It takes VGA, composite, RGB and s-video input plus it has a TV tuner. It's a nice multi-function screen but the S-video doesn't look as good as you might expect. I think a big problem with LCD's like this is the fact that their native resolution is 1024x768. A video image doesn't scale well to this pixel count.

Sonny Sonnenberg January 18th, 2003 01:41 PM

I hadn't thouight about a computer monitor. Can you use the monitor without a computer, you mentioed it had a built in tuner so I would suspect so. How about the display res, can that be adjusted from with in the monitor or would a computer driver have to change the setting? Thanks for the input and the help.
Sonny

Boyd Ostroff January 18th, 2003 05:11 PM

The Samsung can be used with multiple inputs and everything is controlled with built-in menus via front panel buttons. I guess you can also get some sort of battery pack for it. It's a nicely made screen with a base that folds flat and becomes a carrying handle.

The controls let you switch between VGA, s-video, RCA composite, RGB or the TV tuner. It even has picture-in-picture mode where you can view the s-video or RCA input in a window while you use it for VGA (also fun for watching TV while you're using your computer :-) I use this screen as as second monitor on my Mac which is nice in FCP. I also plug the s-video from my camcorder into it, then using the button on the front I can switch between ouput from the camcorder and the Mac, or even use the PIP mode to see them simultaneously.

One drawback is that there is no 16:9 mode when using the video inputs. Curiously, you can select 16:9 with the TV tuner. Also, like I mentioned earlier, the s-video isn't as nice as I would like. But the VGA looks great, so I suspect the video issue has to do with scaling the image to fit 1024x768. Here's some info from Samsung's website:

http://www.samsungelectronics.com/monitor/mfm/index.html

When the cable guy came to hook me up at my new house he was impressed and said "wow, I bet that was expensive" ;-)

stankern January 20th, 2003 06:30 AM

lcd monitor

I just purchased a used JVC dv camcorder 3 1/2 in screen swing out ,works with dv cable ,s-video and composite.This is my computer input vcr also saves wear and tear on the canon xl1s and its very portable ...a bit of duct tape and its with the big camera

Sonny Sonnenberg January 20th, 2003 03:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestion stankern. This will work for me until I can purchase a real monitor.

John Paulsel January 23rd, 2003 10:33 AM

Marshall makes several little monitors...down to around three inch diagonal.

Sonny Sonnenberg January 23rd, 2003 11:12 AM

Thanks,
I found this page pretty quick after your sugestion.

http://www.plasma.com/marshall/lcdPanel/lcdPanel.htm

Emery Wells March 1st, 2003 06:11 PM

dont know if any1 still needs this but the L4-Pro that is used for the glidecam v-8 would work great. Retails for 399.99 at b&h and could be mounted to a crane pretty easily.

-Emery