DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Delay HDTV Purchase? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/61617-delay-hdtv-purchase.html)

Barry Gribble February 26th, 2006 11:50 PM

Delay HDTV Purchase?

Hi folks...

I have been contemplating buying an HDTV mostly for personal use. I am not shooting in HD yet, but I'm sure I will be in the next year and a half, so I want something that will come along for the ride with me. I'm strongly tempted to wait until the HD DVD players are on the market so that I can be sure that I'm not missing something I'll want later, but I don't know if I'm just being overly cautious. I did notice, however, that the first consumer models that handle 1080p are hitting the market now... That's a reason I wouldn't have wanted to buy six months ago.

So my question is... am I safe buying now? Or should I wait?

I know that the cost will be dropping steadily for a while... but is there an imminent precipitous drop? Or will it just continue with the slow and steady?

Thanks all in advance.

Kevin Wild February 26th, 2006 11:54 PM

My guess is fast and steady. There is not doubt that IF you're the type to look back and regret a puchase due the prices dropping and technology moving forward, it may not be the time to buy. However, the HD sets out there are pretty darn nice right now and prices are decent. I bought a 43" SONY rear projection LCD about 6 months ago. It was open-box for $1700. 3 weeks later they put out the new model for the same price.

Best thing to do, imo, is buy and don't look back. It's a good time to buy...not the first on the block and certainly not the last.

KW

Robert M Wright February 27th, 2006 12:36 AM

Prices will keep dropping for a long time. Period.

If you're looking at that Sceptre 37" LCD on newegg's site, so long as it does what it says it will do, it shouldn't leave you needing something in the foreseeable future. For the stated specs, that is one heck of a good price today!

Costco also has them on their site also. I keep meaning to give them a call to see if they have them in the warehouses, so I can go take a look-see.

Joe Carney February 27th, 2006 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
Prices will keep dropping for a long time. Period.

If you're looking at that Sceptre 37" LCD on newegg's site, so long as it does what it says it will do, it shouldn't leave you needing something in the foreseeable future. For the stated specs, that is one heck of a good price today!

Costco also has them on their site also. I keep meaning to give them a call to see if they have them in the warehouses, so I can go take a look-see.

Robert, that Sceptre 37 does look extremely nice, especially since it will double as a true 1920x1080 computer monitor. Think about editing on that.

Virtually all the reviews at NewEgg and Amazon/TigerDirect are positive.

It claims to support hdmi along with hdcp. Very important for future playing of HD DVD/BlueRay and digital cable content. Also important if you plan on getting a PS3.

Robert M Wright February 27th, 2006 11:51 PM

Oh, I'm definitely thinking about editing on it!