DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   JVC DTV100CGU monitor for HD100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/61809-jvc-dtv100cgu-monitor-hd100.html)

Bill Parker March 1st, 2006 05:52 AM

JVC DTV100CGU monitor for HD100

I wanted to get this monitor to use in my edit suite for the HD100 and I was told by B & H that JVC has discontinued the analog component card that is optional with this monitor. Has anyone else heard this and if so, why would JVC discontinue a card for a monitor that makes it compatible with their own camera? There's no other way to use the HD100 with this monitor.

I'm going a little nuts trying to find an affordable CRT monitor for editing. I'd go w/ a LCD, but I do a lot of work with photographs and need to check for moire which doesn't show up as much on the LCD's.

Is anyone familiar with Sony's PVM-14L5/1 14" monitor? I know it's only 800 lines of resolution, but that may be enough.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Nate Weaver March 2nd, 2006 02:48 AM

The 100CGU is pretty low res...I think they only spec 250 lines. I'm sure it looks better than the numbers indicate, but even the best 9" monitors (Sony BVM) don't even come close to showing all your res. I find it a little hard to believe they'd discontinue that card too. It's the only way to get HD into it, besides the even more expensive HD-SDI card.

I have checked out many 14L5s, and 20L5s. The 14L5 is a fine monitor...it DOES show all the resolution of the prosumer HD cams...don't be mislead so much by the numbers. The only HDV cam to do better than 700 lines is the Canon, and that's in horizontal only...and it's not by much either. I was about to buy one before I found a great deal on both a 20" JVC multiformat and a 9" BVM multiformat.

Bexel in Burbank is selling off a lot of 14L5s at $999 a piece. They're from their rental stock I'm sure, but I bet there's a clean one in among the 10 or so they have listed. B&H has some b-stock 14L5s also. Get one, you won't be disappointed.

Bill Parker March 2nd, 2006 06:48 AM

Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. I can't wait to stop spending money!

Nate Weaver March 2nd, 2006 10:22 PM

My gear expenditures are through the roof for the year. But I also moved from staff to freelance again, so that's my excuse.

Bill Parker March 3rd, 2006 09:17 PM

HDV (1280x720) 30fps grayed out in FCP

I now have the 14L5 (b&h is lightning fast) and I can get my footage to play back directly from the camera - 720p, but when I try to play back from my timeline, I get nothing. When I go to my Audio/Video settings in FCP, the HDV 30fps option is grayed out. Why would that be? I have my Sequence Preset to HDV - 720p30, Capture to HDV, Device Control Preset to HDV Firewire - and Video Playback won't go to HDV 30fps. Ideas?

Thanks.

Nate Weaver March 4th, 2006 02:20 PM

Uh oh. I hate to be the bearer of bad news...

This is a hard time for you to find out that monitoring HD/HDV doesn't work like monitoring DV...you just can't do it out firewire. The biggest reason is that in order to do so, there would have to be real-time encoding of HD resolution MPEG2 happening on your CPU...and computers just really aren't fast enough for that yet.

So what you have to do is what the big boys have had to do for years, you get a card with HD-SDI or component HD outputs. The cheapest card that does this is the Blackmagic Decklink HD Pro single link. It's $999. There are cheaper decklink cards that have HD-SDI outputs only, but that means you'd need HD-SDI inputs on your monitor. You can add a card to your L5, but it costs about $3000. Having bought the Decklink, I now wish I would have bought a Kona LH which does everything you need plus analog HD/SD input. That capability solves a lot of problems.

Bill Parker March 4th, 2006 03:30 PM

Now there's some bad news. I'm not sure I have much choice, however. Will this ever end???

So if I get the Kona card, I can remove the AlchemyTV card I now use to import analog video and maintain that capability - and gain the ability to monitor HDV. The AlchemyTV card needs to be removed in any case to make room for the new Decklink or Kona card as I'm out of slots on my G5. More money, but it solves my problem(s). This seems to make sense to me. Does it make sense to anyone else?

Nate Weaver March 4th, 2006 04:41 PM

The good news is that the LH card would open up a whole new world of capabilities for you...and also erases a lot of the 24p HD100/fcp compatiblity problems...you'd theb be able to work in DVCPRO HD.

If you have the means, its a fantastic way to go.

Bill Parker March 5th, 2006 03:57 PM

One problem for me is that when I upgrade my G5 (I now have a Dual 2 Ghz) either of those cards will be incompatible w/ the new Intel chips, no? Are they compatible with the Quad processors?

If I were to hold off getting a card for the Mac and relied temprarily on my Samsung ws computer monitor for awhile, could I set up my system so I could still preview to the 14L5 in DV? I've tried to no avail so far, but I may be off with my settings. Will the BR50 (which I've ordered) be able to export HDV footage to an external monitor as DV?

Still confused and trying to hold off spending unnecessarily.

Thanks yet again.

Nate Weaver March 5th, 2006 07:43 PM

You are correct, if you buy a Decklink PCI now, it will likely not work in the new Intel boxes...things seem to be moving over to PCI express starting with Quads. There MIGHT be a way to buy a PCIexpress Decklink card (which are now available) and get an adapter to run in regular PCI slot, see below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Parker
could I set up my system so I could still preview to the 14L5 in DV?

Sure, but only while working with a DV timeline. An HDV timeline will output still frames through firewire/DV, but colorspaces are different between the two and there's little point in trying. HDV timeline via DV outputs as crushed looking and more contrasty than it truly is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Parker
Will the BR50 (which I've ordered) be able to export HDV footage to an external monitor as DV?

It can downconvert. You'll can also print-to-tape your HDV timelines to HD100 or BR50 and just review via tape to see accurately.

I myself would investigate if there's such a thing as putting a new PCI express Kona LH in an older standard PCI Mac. The Express version will be very likely compatible with the new Intel boxes. I think I remember Blackmagic had a scheme to get their PCI-Express-only Multibridge working in older G5s.

Bill Parker March 6th, 2006 04:50 AM

Nate, thanks for your thoughtful answers. I really appreciate it.

I'll look into those possible options. Printing to tape seems a bearable work-around.

I told a friend recently I was an HDV "early adapter" and he reminded me I was an "early adopter". The truth is, I am both. Thanks again.