DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Playing FX-1 footage on HDTV? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/66689-playing-fx-1-footage-hdtv.html)

Rick Miller May 4th, 2006 07:10 PM

Playing FX-1 footage on HDTV?

Hello,
I recently purchased an FX-1, and have shot a couple tapes in HD. However, I do not have an HD-TV to play the tapes on yet, but will be looking to buy one soon.

Question - how do you connect the camera to the tv to play the tape back in HD? Through a firewire cable, or some way else? Just wondering what kind of connections I should be sure to have on the tv, and any other kind of cable to purchase. The only cable I have is the basic firewire cable to connect to the pc. Can I use that? Thanks.

Mike Toledano May 4th, 2006 07:31 PM

The Fx1 comes with a cable that connects to HD components - Red, Blue, Green. You just need to match those up. You also need to hook up the standard definition cable for the audio.

Chad Martin May 4th, 2006 08:46 PM

Rick, I also just recently purchased the FX-1 and am without an HDTV. I currently playback my hdv footage to my Panasonic DMR-ES40V vhs / dvd burner combo. It has a 4-pin firewire input, so I use a firewire cable with 4-pins at each end to connect the FX-1 to the dvd burner. If I record in HDV, I just make certain the FX-1 output setting is converting the HDV into a DV signal (or else nothing will display on my tv), and I can quickly dump my FX-1 footage to a DVD for viewing or for back-up. The firewire signal sends video and audio. The letterboxed footage has turned out nicely, even though it's only 480i.

I believe some HDTVs have a firewire input, so it would seem that you could connect the FX-1 with this firewire method as well, to display hdv footage on an HDTV. You would just need a 4-pin to 4-pin firewire cable.

Bruce S. Yarock May 5th, 2006 04:06 AM

Rick,
The FIRST thing I did after taking my new FX1 out of the box and shooting some quick footage was hook it up via component cables to my Sony wega 30" hdtv.
The footage looks incredible. But I also wanted to be able to view the footage after being captured in PPro 2.0. So I got a cart on wheels and keep the tv on the cart. That way I can keep wtch tv in the living room, and then wheel it in to our office/edit room when I want to watch the stuff in hdv.Hopefully this will keep me from using the FX1 so much as a playback deck (can't aford a real one now).
The Sony (crt-168 lbs!) sells for around $990. It's not a production monitor you can calibrate, but it's a clean picture.
Bruce Yarock

Martin Mayer May 5th, 2006 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Toledano
The Fx1 comes with a cable that connects to HD components - Red, Blue, Green. You just need to match those up. You also need to hook up the standard definition cable for the audio.

Just to be pedantic - isn't it strictly "component" i.e. Y/Pb/Pr, and not actually RGB?

[I know the three RCA plugs are colour-coded red, green and blue, but so are the Y/Pb/Pr sockets on most HD-ready TVs.]

Rick Miller May 5th, 2006 02:20 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I bought the camera new, so I'm sure I have those cables somewhere in my mess of an office. Will try and track them down, and I plan on taking the cam to the stores to test the hookup so I can take a look at the quality.