DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   The All Brevis Wedding // What an experience (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/139900-all-brevis-wedding-what-experience.html)

Patrick Moreau December 24th, 2008 08:55 AM

Thanks Tim. We have some other shots that didn't fit into the story that are super shallow and shot with the steadicam.

Travis- we do have a source but he/she is currently locked in the basement of the studio until we are all fully trained, so I can't reveal their identity :)

It was mostly trail and error, but I started with a foundation of reading about color theory, talking to photographers, and having something I wanted to achieve. I've spent hours trying to get one shot to look the way I want and in the process I often discovered many other looks, more about the fundamentals behind the whole process, as well as how t get the look itself.

P.

Ethan Cooper December 24th, 2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kendal (Post 981420)
Hey Patrick,

Very nice work!

Just had sort of an off topic question....I am going to Mexico in a couple months, and was wondering if you had to do anything special as far as getting through customs with all that equipment?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Paul - we went to France this year with all our gear and didn't have a problem. We didn't fill out any special forms or paperwork or anything, just crammed it into a couple carry-on's tossed the tripods in my checked bag with my clothes and got on the plane. No worries.

Just check on the airline regulations pertaining to your lithium ion batts.

Travis Cossel December 24th, 2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 983380)
It was mostly trail and error, but I started with a foundation of reading about color theory, talking to photographers, and having something I wanted to achieve. I've spent hours trying to get one shot to look the way I want and in the process I often discovered many other looks, more about the fundamentals behind the whole process, as well as how t get the look itself.

Okay, thanks. By the way, I've got an extra room to lock up your source if you want to free up some space. d;-)

Andrew Waite December 24th, 2008 01:14 PM

Shot an all 35mm adapter wedding (full day with adapters) last June. Granted it was with only two cameras one with a brevis and one with a redrock. But, flying a rig... that's impressive!

Andrew Waite December 24th, 2008 01:46 PM

I should probably elaborate so I don't sound like an ass. Sorry, Patrick.. wasn't trying to one-up you or anything. I started as a filmmaker and transitioned into weddings after... But, I have always been a filmmaker first, and I had just finished a feature length film that summer and decided... what the heck. We have now done a few entire weddings with Brevis only, but one thing we have yet to do is fly a Brevis setup. For one, it's too heavy for my Steadicam Pilot, but i know you use the Flyer. I haven't upgraded to the Flyer, I'm still waiting for a remote follow focus.... hopefully Dennis has one in the works. Even then, I don't know how practical it would be for a wedding... unless you had someone to walk along side you to pull focus for you. How did you get around this problem?

I'm VERY excited to see the Cinevate slider in action... I'm getting sick of how heavy my Indislider is. I can't wait to see what else Dennis is working on.

Patrick Moreau December 24th, 2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Waite (Post 983488)
I should probably elaborate so I don't sound like an ass. .

Hi Andrew,

No problem at all. I am sure many others have done this as well to some extent. I think what we have done is a first to the extent that we did it. In other words, our coverage and style was the same as it normally was, it was just shot all brevis. Most studios who do something similar either fly bare cam, shoot with less cams, avoid any motion in their shots- or in general change their shooting style as a result of their adapters. I think the clip itself is a testament to what we accomplished, and while some don't feel it is our best work, the overwhelming majority certainly does, as does Konrad, Michael, and I.

It is great to hear you've been bringing adapters into the mix for a while. I would love it if you could send me a sample privately (as to not get the thread off topic).

P.

Peter Szilveszter December 25th, 2008 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 983175)
We do many different things to color grade the footage. Generally it is a three step process though, with the first being generally correcting, the second being the more advanced and artistic grading, and the third being the review process where the rest of the team checks things out and makes comments or tweaks on the look. We try to avoid canned looks like MB as much as possible to keep things original and to get the maximum amount of flexibility.

P.

Cool someone else has the same work flow as me, I get asked numerous times, what MB preset did I use? two things about that question, I don't use presets and I don't use it. Some rare cases I use it for non wedding work for some image enhancement but even then totally custom make my own look, anyways I tell so many people its better to nut out and learn about colour grading because it makes editing so much easier, helps decide what look to go for and helps shooting too.

Seems like some think MB is the thing that magically (no pun) colour grades the footage using presets, but I think it simply will look like what everyone else uses which is the problem with presets.

Josh Swan January 12th, 2009 11:09 AM

How many camera's did you have shooting at that wedding?
Great Work!