DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Highlight for CC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/141008-highlight-cc.html)

Denny Kyser January 6th, 2009 04:53 PM

Highlight for CC

I am still very new to this and have tons to learn, This was my 3rd Wedding, and so far everyone has been happy, but then again I offer straight video, so under promise and over deliver.

Comments and Critiques welcome, I am here to learn.

Frank and Shannon on Vimeo

Thanks

Travis Cossel January 6th, 2009 08:26 PM

For a 3rd wedding you are doing a very good job with shooting and editing. I'll get right to the "helpful" thoughts.

Watch the camera shake. Many of your shots have too much shake. It's not easy holding a steady shot, but practice should eventually make perfect.

That said, there were a number of shots I think you could have done from a tripod. Anytime you have a static shot try and use a tripod (like the opening shot).

Watch your shot composition and make sure you have what you want in the frame, and keep distractions out of the frame. There were some shots where it felt like you were just shooting what was in front of you without using a creative and selective eye. Again, a lot of this will just come with practice and viewing your work.

Learn how to do basic color enhancement and your work will look even better.

Thanks for sharing and hopefully I've helped you a little bit.

Denny Kyser January 6th, 2009 08:59 PM

Thanks, and yes you were helpful, I will continue to practice and improve. Sometimes its hard to post and ask for help when you look at the videos posted on here, they are amazing.

Travis Cossel January 6th, 2009 09:12 PM

All of these guys started somewhere similar to where you are at. Don't ever be intimidated to post your work. It can only make you better to hear what others have to say. Besides, you're already doing good work on only your 3rd wedding. I've seen some pretty horrid stuff from guys that have done 10 times that many weddings (no one on here).

Tom Alexander January 6th, 2009 09:26 PM

I don't have nearly the experience of Travis or these other guys (I've only done a couple of volunteer weddings, and those just straight ceremony videos), but I think that turned out really well. I would have been pleased to have received that for my wedding.

A couple things that I saw in addition to what Travis mentioned. Just after the flower girls approach the alter, there is a sudden cut to the couple as they start to walk back down the aisle to leave. It was a bit unexpected. In watching the some of many other highlight videos here, I've seen cross fades used in these situations that turned out really well. The church looked beautiful from the inside, some exterior views of the church as an intro to the interior shots would have added to it as well I think.

Again, nice job.

Travis, thanks for your comments to Dennis as well. It makes me feel more at ease to post my videos for constructive suggestions when it comes time. I'm getting ready to do my first full wedding, although still a volunteer job for a friend for skill development, but I want it to look as professional as possible.

Travis Cossel January 6th, 2009 09:36 PM

No problem, Tom. I was scared to death the first time I posted a video on here. It was the best I had done at that point, but I knew people were going to pick it apart .. and the sick thing is that's what I wanted. Eventually you get into a routine of "take the harsh truth on DVinfo and get the warm and fuzzies from the brides and grooms".

Denny Kyser January 6th, 2009 09:37 PM

Thanks Tom, and Yes Travis it is good to get good Critiques and encouragement to post, although how can you not be intimidated on here.

I am excited about my wedding coming up in a couple weeks, I have some time to practice and re watch the DVD's I bought from Mark.

Ken Diewert January 6th, 2009 10:10 PM

Denny,

Either that bride (and everyone else at the wedding) is small or that groom is a bear of a man. She was really taking a chance holding back that cake from him like that.

FWIW, I've been shooting for a long time (film school 90/91), but have only shot about 25 weddings over that time, as I've gone out of my way to avoid them. But I'm starting to shoot more, and they are probably the most stressful events to film. They scare the hell out of me sometimes. In film school we learned about controlling filming environments, from lighting to sound to talent, and at a wedding, we're seldom anywhere near in control.

Since you asked for CC, I'll add mine. In the opening montage of the bride prepping; several of your wide shots (IMHO) are revealing nothing that adds to the aesthetic value of the piece. I had a similar case on new years day where the bride was prepping in a non-descript dining room, so I kept the shots quite tight (you will need to be on a tripod for this). I shot close-ups of her nails being done, details in her hair, and make-up being applied. I also tried to make the shots flattering. The one wide shot I used, I blew out (over-exposed) the background to obscure the detail (as it was a sliding glass door). I did this out of necessity as I thought the room was not visually appealing enough to include, and I opted for the 'If it's not moving it forward, then it's holding it back' approach. Ideally we would create a lavish set, but we work with what we've got.

There's a few of your shots there that are quite nice, and you had that big mirror to work with. I would have probably overused that. You also tend to zoom on most of those shots. The human eye doesn't zoom so unless there is a good reason to either reveal or focus on something, I wouldn't use it so much. And oh yeah, even though you're pretty steady, unless you've got a comfy shoulder mount, there's no reason to hand-hold a camera.

I'm just uploading the intro shot to Vimeo to demonstrate, feel free to critique back when it's up there. As Travis mentioned, this is a learning process. Passion + Hard Work + Perseverance = Success!

Ken Diewert January 6th, 2009 11:07 PM

Denny,

Here's that shot I mentioned

Bride Prep on Vimeo

Denny Kyser January 6th, 2009 11:20 PM

Thanks Ken and nice shots on vimo

the guy was a bear of a guy, really nice but when we did their engagement photos, was challenging due to the size difference.

Travis Cossel January 7th, 2009 12:07 AM

For some reason last year I seemed to keep getting couples where the groom was a foot to a foot-and-a-half taller than the bride. I mean, taller is fine, but jeez. It sure does complicate composition of shots.

Tom Alexander January 7th, 2009 10:05 PM

Thats funny. I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5' 1", (if shes wearing shoes......)

Noel Lising January 8th, 2009 10:55 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Diewert;990236]Denny,

FWIW, I've been shooting for a long time (film school 90/91), but have only shot about 25 weddings over that time, as I've gone out of my way to avoid them. But I'm starting to shoot more, and they are probably the most stressful events to film. They scare the hell out of me sometimes. In film school we learned about controlling filming environments, from lighting to sound to talent, and at a wedding, we're seldom anywhere near in control.
QUOTE]

Hi Ken,

I agree on this a 100%, there's a huge difference shooting in a controlled environment, you can say "cut", review footage & do a second take. Shooting a wedding is an art form in itself. You need to be one step ahead all the time.