DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Recent Video for Critiques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/143720-recent-video-critiques.html)

Denny Kyser February 13th, 2009 11:40 AM

Recent Video for Critiques

As many of you know I am VERY new to this and only done a few weddings so looking for input.

This is part of a wedding I did a couple weeks ago, and would like some Comments and Critiques, so I know what parts to keep for the actual highlight show. There are times I am caught between expression and quality footage. I know the combination is what I need but for me not there every single time.

Anyways would love some input on what you like, what you dont so I can build a decent highlight show. The wedding and reception footage is great IMO, and for me so hope this will be my piece I use for advertising. I am noticing ever wedding gets better. :)

Lindell Pre Ceremony on Vimeo

Noel Lising February 13th, 2009 04:17 PM

First of all let me comment on the quality of the video, it's really nice. I saw you on the mirror btw =)

In my opinion, a pre ceremony/ bride prep should include shots of boquets, flowers, rings, invitations, etc. An establishing shot of the house and a shot of the wedding gown should be in there too. A good portion of the video was concentrated on the bride getting her make up. My input is based on how I shoot though.

Anyway I am sure they will love the video.

Denny Kyser February 13th, 2009 05:28 PM

Thanks Noel, I should add this hair salon is owned by her Mother and her sister also works there and was doing her own hair. Her Mother is the one doing the brides hair.

when I do the highlight show, obviously only a min amount of this will be in the highlight show.

Oh yea, I hated all the mirrors, was almost impossible to stay out of the video. :)

Art Varga February 13th, 2009 10:32 PM

Denny - nice exposure and color in this clip. I liked the reveal at 1:32 and the dress drop at 3:01. Try to mix in more of these creative type shots. The long cuts tended to make this drag a bit. The song matchup to the footage wasn't working for me. Something more upbeat would have been my choice. Abrubt ending but I'm assuming that was just were you cut it for this post. You had some shake going on - try to stay on the tripod more. Good job overall though - keep it up!

Denny Kyser February 14th, 2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Varga (Post 1011810)
Denny - nice exposure and color in this clip. I liked the reveal at 1:32 and the dress drop at 3:01. Try to mix in more of these creative type shots. The long cuts tended to make this drag a bit. The song matchup to the footage wasn't working for me. Something more upbeat would have been my choice. Abrubt ending but I'm assuming that was just were you cut it for this post. You had some shake going on - try to stay on the tripod more. Good job overall though - keep it up!

Thanks Art and yes that is why the abrupt end.

I am only using royalty free music, so have to increase my library but really trying to get away from the Copyright issues.

Jason Robinson February 14th, 2009 12:19 PM

Thanks for being brave to submit clips! I honestly learned more from submitting sampels than I thought possible.

The opening credits (name scrollign up) was a little awkward for such a short credit. I usually don't scroll something unless it is a long credit roll like at the end where I have lots of names for the bridal party, parents, etc.

Since the song is a soft song, I would have used "soft" transitions for the credits at the beginning. Either slow crossfades, or something similar.

Alternatively, you could use a more upbeat song.

If you edit on Windows, consider Smartsound Sonicfire Pro. They have some great sounding music (better than Cinescore at least), but the prices are a little high per track for my taste (hence why I choose Cinescore). Good choice on staying legit. Not all of us have the guts (and talent) to make it work.

You've got some great colors in your shots and are well on your way to exceeding your client's expectations! Price yourself accordingly.