DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   First wedding - newbie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/144542-first-wedding-newbie.html)

Bo Dechphant February 24th, 2009 04:34 PM

First wedding - newbie

Hi Guys,

Been observing this forum for a long time now and i thank you those who contribute to this forum. It's helped me heaps with my videos.

So, I've recently finished editing my first wedding highlight and i would love to hear your constructive criticism. here is the link : Cass & Jono - Wedding Highlight on Vimeo

I had to hire everything for the day. It was shot on a Z1 with wide angle lense with a really dodgy Azden wireless mic. Tried to use the steadicam (Flycam 5000) but it was way too heavy without the arm and vest which i thought i was going to get but didn't. So i probably ended up using about 5% of the steadicam footage. what a waste of time and energy.

It was my first time operating a z1, too. while it wasn't hard to get used to, i wished i could own my own gear so i know everything back to front. Time to start saving more! Anyway, since i was my first wedding i was a bit scared to move around too much at the ceremony, which i regret now cause no one really even noticed that i was there. it was extra hard for me cause i had to place the camera pretty much right against the sun so i had a really hard time in post arghh (and I'm talking 3pm Queensland sun!)

I would probably recommend all the other newbies to maintain their fitness for this kind of work! I've got another wedding to film next month. it will be church wedding and apparently there will be some restrictions during ceremony so i am a bit scared. But i know i'm not going to repeat the mistakes i made from my first one!

SiuChung Leung February 24th, 2009 06:56 PM

Great job. I think you've done an excellent job as a newbie. You've got some great and interesting footage at preparation. You've got good eyes on framing.

One thing you need to work on is the audio. Did you use noise reduction on your audio? If you did, I think you over did it. The noise reduction seem distorts most of the original voice, make it sound like a audio from DC camera. Were those audio coming from wireless or Z1?

Bo Dechphant February 24th, 2009 07:05 PM

SiuChung,

Thank you so much for the feedback. Yes, I admit that i have no clue when it comes to sound. The audio was coming from the wireless. It did use noise reduction in Soundbooth. It was a really windy day and i was trying to get rid of that noise. Will definitely work on that. Thanks again.

- Bo -

SiuChung Leung February 24th, 2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Dechphant (Post 1017862)
SiuChung,

Thank you so much for the feedback. Yes, I admit that i have no clue when it comes to sound. The audio was coming from the wireless. It did use noise reduction in Soundbooth. It was a really windy day and i was trying to get rid of that noise. Will definitely work on that. Thanks again.

- Bo -

You may want to reduce the level of noise reduction. When the speech voice over start, put a realtime footage of the speech in the video. People will see this was a windy day and mentally accepted that noise. Then you can cut back to other footage.

Jeff Kellam February 27th, 2009 08:46 AM

Bo:

How did the B&G like it?

That's the main thing.

Terry Taravella March 2nd, 2009 03:36 PM

Hi Bo,

I thought you had some interesting shots also, albeit a little long.

Loved the music, is that Explosions in the sky?

I'm not sure if it was the encoding but the vid had a nice filmic feel. MB filters?

I'm not a big fan of hearing the vows during "other moments", so I didn't really pay attention to the audio.

Thanks for sharing and good job on composition.