DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   The First All 5D Wedding Video Shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/144780-first-all-5d-wedding-video-shoot.html)

Raphael Jamil Pranga February 27th, 2009 05:42 PM

The First All 5D Wedding Video Shoot

This is what happens if four (Bob Nicolas, Jason Magbanua, Mayad Studios, Threelogy) of our country's best work together as one.

Enjoy guys!

The First All Canon EOS 5D Mk. II Wedding Video Shoot in the World on Vimeo

Andrew Melikov February 27th, 2009 07:34 PM

Guys, that’s really cool!!!
But why it’s not HD version? (((
Would be great to see real product made with Canon 5D Mk. 2

Jason Robinson February 28th, 2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael Jamil Pranga (Post 1019685)
This is what happens if four (Bob Nicolas, Jason Magbanua, Mayad Studios, Threelogy) of our country's best work together as one.

Enjoy guys!

Ok, someone busted out a jib for some of those shots... or else you got Yao Ming to boom the cmera waaay up there.

Fantastic looking shots as always guys!

Noa Put February 28th, 2009 03:05 AM

It sure looks great but what a shame it's not in transcoded in HD on vimeo. Eventhough the 5D can produce some fantastic looking images with the right lenzes I noticed here the same as I did with a lot of other "productions", several shots were quite overexposed, luckily the camera seems to have a very good dynamic range but exposure is one of it's most trickiest settings to get right.

I guess that's what still separates the photocamera from a real videocamera, I think the 5D is OK to shoot weddings but you need to take much more time to get all the settings right and everybody knows a wedding is hardly a controlled environment, something a 5D seems to be asking for when doing video.

Maybe that's the reason why it wasn't transcoded in HD because all those small mistakes like slightly off focus and exposure sticks out like a sore thumb. :)

Noel Lising February 28th, 2009 01:30 PM

Great work as always. What bugs me though is why in the world would a B & G hire 3 wedding videographers of your caliber. That would have easily set them back $ 10,000 if my calculation is correct & another $ 10,000 if they hired another 3 photogs like Mango & Dino Lara.

Mike Brice February 28th, 2009 03:14 PM

Great work.

Although I did find it a bit odd that there were as many people documenting the wedding (photo/video) than attending the wedding from what I could tell from the wide shot.

Actually I just counted. It looked like a crew of 6 and 12 people in attendance.

Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael Jamil Pranga (Post 1019685)

Enjoy guys!

Robert Bec February 28th, 2009 03:46 PM

Nice job guys i just have one question

How do you find the 5D MKII with setting exposure and focus on the run. Is it as quick to adjust as using a video camera with an adaptor

Any thoughts because i am in the process of buying either an adaptor or 5D MKII for my DOF shots

Great work

Rob

SiuChung Leung February 28th, 2009 05:42 PM

Wow, amazing wedding with amazing video. Great job!!!

Since this wedding was only shoot by 5D Mark II, I am interested to know how you overcome the audio problems with 5D Mark II.

Liza Witz February 28th, 2009 06:18 PM

I too am curious-- I am guessing you didn't set up dolly track at a wedding and so many of those shots are some sort of steady cam--- still great work.

But how did you get the crane shots? Did you really bring a crane?

Raphael Jamil Pranga February 28th, 2009 06:20 PM

hey guys! i'll answer you questions later when i get back from a wedding shoot.

meanwhile, here's some photos of the shoot taken by Dino Lara who photographed the event.
http://dinolarablog.com/?p=3220&cpage=1#comment-10869
-Fiel

Jason Magbanua February 28th, 2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1019865)
It sure looks great but what a shame it's not in transcoded in HD on vimeo. Eventhough the 5D can produce some fantastic looking images with the right lenzes I noticed here the same as I did with a lot of other "productions", several shots were quite overexposed, luckily the camera seems to have a very good dynamic range but exposure is one of it's most trickiest settings to get right.

I guess that's what still separates the photocamera from a real videocamera, I think the 5D is OK to shoot weddings but you need to take much more time to get all the settings right and everybody knows a wedding is hardly a controlled environment, something a 5D seems to be asking for when doing video.

Maybe that's the reason why it wasn't transcoded in HD because all those small mistakes like slightly off focus and exposure sticks out like a sore thumb. :)

Hi Noa! Sorry but we weren't trying to hide anything by doing SD.

The explanation is simple enough, we went for SD because that would facilitate editing the Same Day Edit. If we went full 1920, we'd be showing at 11pm not 830p.

I think with enough practice, it's a viable wedding camera. Like all tools though, you have to master its limitations and strenghts.

Thanks for watching.

Jason Magbanua February 28th, 2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 1020081)
Great work as always. What bugs me though is why in the world would a B & G hire 3 wedding videographers of your caliber. That would have easily set them back $ 10,000 if my calculation is correct & another $ 10,000 if they hired another 3 photogs like Mango & Dino Lara.

Hey Noel. It's a pet project. We did it pro bono =) Only Dino was the hired gun.

Peter Manojlovic February 28th, 2009 09:07 PM

Please don't tell me you did this all on a Mac..

You're going to make me feel like the guy on the APPLE commercials. You know, the guy with the suit and glasses who's frustrated...

Robert Bec February 28th, 2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic (Post 1020256)

You're going to make me feel like the guy on the APPLE commercials. You know, the guy with the suit and glasses who's frustrated...

Whats wrong with a MAC?

Noa Put March 1st, 2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Manojlovic (Post 1020256)

if jason would have done it on a Mac he would have finished in HD at 08:30, it's the 8 core that would have made the difference ;)

Why are you asking this? what real difference would it have made?

Peter Manojlovic March 1st, 2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bec (Post 1020301)
Whats wrong with a MAC?

Nothings wrong with the MAC...

After reading about all the issues of people trying to edit HD on a PC, i'm at the point of wishing that i had started out on the MAC.....

Thus the frustrated fat guy..........Minus the glasses.

Nicholas de Kock March 1st, 2009 01:02 PM

If you build a proper 8 core PC server you will have no problems, it's not a Mac - PC thing. The G5 Mac is a server not a desktop PC, compare apples with apples. The 5DMII codec is just plain s*** and hell to edit, I hate it. Remember the tools we use is only as effective as the operator.

Raphael Jamil Pranga March 1st, 2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiuChung Leung (Post 1020180)
Wow, amazing wedding with amazing video. Great job!!!

Since this wedding was only shoot by 5D Mark II, I am interested to know how you overcome the audio problems with 5D Mark II.

Yep, audio was a big problem during the shoot since you can't monitor the audio feed coming in so what we did is we tested our the audio first before the ceremony by doing an actual recording using our Senns which are directly plugged into the sound system's mixer then previewed it in the 5D. I know it's risky but we also planned a backup with another setup in which the lapel was with the groom, sadly it wasn't used for the SDE.

Raphael Jamil Pranga March 1st, 2009 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bec (Post 1020130)
Nice job guys i just have one question

How do you find the 5D MKII with setting exposure and focus on the run. Is it as quick to adjust as using a video camera with an adaptor

Any thoughts because i am in the process of buying either an adaptor or 5D MKII for my DOF shots

Great work

Rob

Hi Rob,

We had a problem with the aperture since you can't manually control it if it's in video mode especially if you're using canon lenses (i think some use nikon lenses in which the aperture can be controlled manually via the lens.) but there are several techniques where you can overcome this, some are in vimeo. For the focusing, you might need an external monitor sometimes for critical shots but hey, we managed without one... hehehe!

Fiel

Raphael Jamil Pranga March 1st, 2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liza Witz (Post 1020191)
I too am curious-- I am guessing you didn't set up dolly track at a wedding and so many of those shots are some sort of steady cam--- still great work.

But how did you get the crane shots? Did you really bring a crane?

We just used our glidetracks and glidecams.
And yep, we brought a crane courtesy of Mr. Bob Nicolas.

You can check out some of the photos of our shoot at
Dino Lara Blography The First All 5D Wedding Video Shoot

Matthew Ebenezer March 1st, 2009 09:01 PM

Great work guys!

Question #1 - Would you do it again?

Question #2 - Did you use anything extra to control the aperture? i.e. tricking the camera into shooting as wide open as possible.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Jason Magbanua March 1st, 2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer (Post 1020673)
Great work guys!

Question #1 - Would you do it again?

Question #2 - Did you use anything extra to control the aperture? i.e. tricking the camera into shooting as wide open as possible.

Cheers,

Matthew.

1. If given the chance again YES in a heartbeat!

2. We were able to acquire a nine stop filter for the 70-200. But most times we were doing the "unscrew trick" to lock the aperture wide open.

Thanks Matt!

Carl Wilky March 2nd, 2009 09:15 AM

Great work guys. This production felt like i was watching the 90's USA Olympic basket ball dream team. (Jordan, Magic, O'Neil, Barkley...)

I definitely noticed the challenge you guys faces with the audio, not the best quality but does suffice for what you were faced with.

I did notice some focusing issues through the video, mostly on the crane shots where you guys had no control over it due to its remote access. How do you set up the lens during that time, at infinity?

The other question i had was more technical, what software did you use to convert the .MOV to .AVI files? Have you ever thought of using Prospect HD 2K or 4K from Cineform? I heard that this software is actually quite good at converting HD files.

Thanks for sharing your SDE AND your info.

Gino Mancusa March 2nd, 2009 10:41 AM

Fellas,

I posted something directly on your site. Fantastic effort and I can't say enough about how impressive your work always is and this colaboration is just shear icing. When people see what can be achieved with Wedding Films it will be the defacto standard and the most important investment a B&G can make for their Wedding. Very well done and Thank You!!

Roger Lowe March 3rd, 2009 11:09 AM

Wedding Video

Love the crane shots! Really cool.

Garry Garza March 3rd, 2009 05:24 PM

Good Job!

Pinoy ROCKS!!!

Raphael Jamil Pranga March 3rd, 2009 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Wilky (Post 1020873)
Great work guys. This production felt like i was watching the 90's USA Olympic basket ball dream team. (Jordan, Magic, O'Neil, Barkley...)

I definitely noticed the challenge you guys faces with the audio, not the best quality but does suffice for what you were faced with.

I did notice some focusing issues through the video, mostly on the crane shots where you guys had no control over it due to its remote access. How do you set up the lens during that time, at infinity?

The other question i had was more technical, what software did you use to convert the .MOV to .AVI files? Have you ever thought of using Prospect HD 2K or 4K from Cineform? I heard that this software is actually quite good at converting HD files.

Thanks for sharing your SDE AND your info.

Hmmm, it was Bob's first time with the 5D but i think he has most of the shots at infinity and maybe some having a slight depth of field but too bad you really can't monitor the whole shot if the camera is already up there.

We used canopus procoder. Didn't try Cineform, i think Jason has some issues with it when we asked before.

thanks for watching!

Raphael Jamil Pranga March 3rd, 2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino Mancusa (Post 1020910)
Fellas,

I posted something directly on your site. Fantastic effort and I can't say enough about how impressive your work always is and this colaboration is just shear icing. When people see what can be achieved with Wedding Films it will be the defacto standard and the most important investment a B&G can make for their Wedding. Very well done and Thank You!!

Hi Gino!

We read the comment and we're really touched! Thank you so much! Hope we will continue to inspire you guys!

Matt Headley March 3rd, 2009 10:52 PM

I can't believe you shot this in SD! To me that defeats the purpose of going to every extreme to shoot it!

It's like shooting home videos of your kid with an imax camera!

Jason Magbanua March 4th, 2009 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Headley (Post 1021889)
I can't believe you shot this in SD! To me that defeats the purpose of going to every extreme to shoot it!

It's like shooting home videos of your kid with an imax camera!

Hey Matt! Thanks for watching. To reiterate, we shot this in full HD.

Only the Same Day Edit was edited down to SD. It does not defeat any purpose, it actually serves it quite well.

A same day edit is shown after dinner. If shown much much later, say 11pm, even though in full HD, now THAT would defeat the purpose of the SDE.

That said, I am now editing the HD highlights of this wedding.

Cheers!

Lance Bachelder March 4th, 2009 12:34 PM

Nice job

Some really nice photography. I think it was the wrong decision to go SD. Also, I get the feeling from the edit this is the grooms day - not the brides. There were a few areas when the groom was talking that you could have really heightened the emotion but instead you went for the cool montage. Specifically when the groom says "...then you walked through the door" it was a prime opportunity to create a real moment with the bride but you guys cut away from it.

Sorry, just the editor in me talking, still a great job and I'm jealous you guys got to shoot such a great event with a great camera.

Lance

Robert Bec March 5th, 2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael Jamil Pranga (Post 1020629)
Hi Rob,

We had a problem with the aperture since you can't manually control it if it's in video mode especially if you're using canon lenses (i think some use nikon lenses in which the aperture can be controlled manually via the lens.) but there are several techniques where you can overcome this, some are in vimeo. For the focusing, you might need an external monitor sometimes for critical shots but hey, we managed without one... hehehe!

Fiel

I dont think you can go past a 35mm adaptor at this time