DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Abbie & Lindsay - highlights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/157016-abbie-lindsay-highlights.html)

Paul Mailath April 3rd, 2009 06:17 PM

Abbie & Lindsay - highlights

okay guys - this is my 1st highlights - from my 1st wedding. I think it needs a #$##load of work but I'm stepping back to see what everyone thinks.

I used XHA1 and HV20 (didn't listen to the prevailing advice and had trouble matching the two). I didn't move enough and my CC leaves a lot to be desired.

This was a test more than anything to see if I liked shooting weddings - I do and I've just dumped my 2nd and will start editing that in a week (after I clean up this one) I'm going to put up some more sections of this first wedding for comment to get a clearer idea what I should be doing.

I'm too old and ugly to be offended by any comment, so let rip - it's the best way for me to find out what I'm doing wrong and correct it.

This is a password protected video on Vimeo

password is - abbie

Travis Cossel April 3rd, 2009 07:39 PM

Thanks for sharing. You're a brave man considering it's your 1st highlights from your 1st wedding, but that also makes you smart. You asked for brutal so I'm going to give it to you.

First, as an overall piece for a 1st-timer I thought you did an excellent job. How's that for brutal? Seriously, though, you had solid editing and good colors/exposure/etc. Nicely done.

However, some things did stand out for me. The first being that a number of your shots had what I can only describe as "micro shakes". I'm wondering if you have your image stabilization turned off. You might want to check that.

I also noticed that some shots did not match others in terms of color temperature. For example, I saw some outdoor shots that were too blue compared to the shots preceding them and following them. Keep an eye on your white balance.

There was also some natural audio used from within the car, but it wasn't very good and I didn't catch what was going on.

At the reception the song slows down at one point and I just felt like the mix of shots became boring and uninteresting. Then, when the music kicks back in dramatically there is no dramatic shot to go with it, so it felt like the visuals and the audio became separate performances. I would consider editing down the song next time so you don't have to use a bunch of filler shots, and then try and match something dramatic to the music when it kicks in like that. I was expecting a first dance shot or something like that. You did this well for the kiss during the ceremony, so just do it again later in the song.

Lastly, the final shot was just not onscreen long enough at all. I only caught a bit of the text but not enough to figure out why the shot was important enough to be at the very end. I'd leave that shot out or extend it but another second or two at least.

You should be proud, though, because overall you did a great job. Hope my feedback helps!

Darren Smith April 4th, 2009 05:20 AM

Hi Paul

Good effort for #1, like Travis mentioned colour is bit inconsistent, and the one thing I noticed was your love of the cross dissolve transition, it has it's place but a simple straight cut can be more effective, particularly being that your choice of music was more punchy.

I too have the XHA1 & HV20, you are right about matching footage, can be a bit tricky, the HV20 seems to crush the blacks a bit and seems a bit more saturated, I tend to try pulling back the contrast a smidge and desaturate a little and then match the colours. No easy resolve unfortunately, I don't use presets with A1 always prefer to shoot neutral and do the work in post.

All the best & look forward to your next clip!

Cheers
Darren

Osmany Tellez April 4th, 2009 04:07 PM

great video!!!

to me..don't like vigeatte for every shot..maybe some don't..also the vigeatte edge is a bit too hard..maybe more difuse...feather....

good job

SiuChung Leung April 4th, 2009 04:41 PM

great job for 1st timer. I can see you put a lot effort into this video which is great. A great demo is most valuable for 1st timer and you've got a great start.

Other videographers already cover most of the things I wanna say. Just let me add, watch out for the outdoor color, if you can lower the dark level that would be much better.

Paul Mailath April 4th, 2009 04:42 PM

thanks guys,

Travis - can you tell me what shots had the 'shakes'? I can then work out what was happening at the time (hoping it's the camera and not me!)

trying to get the 2 cameras to match afterwards sucks (we'll just fix in in post) and I may have left the small one on full auto - can't remember. I keep forgetting to white balance!

I'd forgotten about the audio, I wanted some of the natural sound throughout but I'll give it another listen and quieten those bits down. I take you point about the music not matching in the reception - have to fix that. Unfortunately the couple really like this particular song and I'm not game to cut any audio out but I'll come up with something. I've fixed that last shot already, way too quick.

Darren - I agree I used it too much, there were some cuts that seemed to 'jump' so I just disolved everything - can you get away with disolving only those jump shot or does that make it worse?

There are a number of posts on the site that talk about matching the HV20 & the XHA1 - I'll be spending some time to check them out before I do another job, I think it's also the sharpness of the HV20 image, it really stands out.

Osmany - I'll have a look at the vignette, there must be a way to soften the edge, it is pretty hard

SiuChung - thanks, do you mean the all the colours should be darker?

thanks again everyone

I've just uploaded the ceremony itself
This is a password protected video on Vimeo

same password

you'll really see the difference between the 2 camera's with this one - I just don't know enough about CC yet

Paul Mailath April 5th, 2009 01:42 AM

they're all up now on vimeo now

highlights
the night before
get this party started
ceremony
reception

this comprises everything I've given the bride except a 2nd disk containing more footage of hair & makeup, speeches etc

I'm flying by the seat of my pants here, so any comments re quality, quantity, structure, anything really - are appreciated.

Perbenyik Productions's videos on Vimeo

Oleg Kalyan April 5th, 2009 02:55 AM

I agree on a contrast, dark level thing, great video for first timer, welcome to the 'club"

Thank for sharing!