DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Gina & Harry highlights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/172501-gina-harry-highlights.html)

Matt Barwick April 7th, 2009 09:46 PM

Gina & Harry highlights

I've been waiting for a while for a wedding like this to come along, so want to share the highlights that I've come up with so far...and get some feedback.

They're a great, expressive couple, beautiful speeches (and a good audio feed!) and plenty of dynamic imagery to work with via the Jewish dancing.

I'm not 100% if it works as is and I've got my own ideas why it may/may not, but would love to hear some opinions & viewpoints from some 'fresh eyes'. Nothing's off limits..!

BTW - don't expect any flying steadicam shots or 35mm adaptors DoF - it's shot using the stock lens on the XH-A1 with a little levels adjustment in post.

This is a password protected video on Vimeo

the password is: barwick

Thanks for taking the time to watch & comment.

Cheers,

Matt.

Travis Cossel April 7th, 2009 11:57 PM

As far as content this was an excellent piece. Great use of the toasts to narrate the piece, and great visuals to go along with it. You've proven the point that steadicams and adapters are all just tools, and are not necessary to create an engaging video. Nice work.

A few things stood out to me, though. First, it seems like the contrast on all of your video is a bit low. The images feel a little flat. I would increase the contrast.

Second, and very importantly, when you're doing voice-overs from the toast/etc. the underlying music is still a bit too loud IMO. I felt like the two were competing for my attention. I would drop it another -3db to -6db. Also, when the voice-over trails off you need to bring the volume of the music back up and drop it back down. You did this at one point, but there are sections of the song where there is no one talking but the song volume is still lowered.

Finally, it's not a huge thing, but I felt like maybe there was too much slow-motion. I love slo-mo as much as the next guy, but if it gets overused the whole piece will start to drag and feel long. Next time I'd consider mixing in more real-time footage.

Anyways, thanks for sharing. The couple is going to love it.

Matt Barwick April 8th, 2009 05:30 PM

Hey Travis, thanks for taking the time to watch (and more importantly review & comment) - appreciate it. (115 views, 1 comment?)

I'm hearing you (no pun intended) regarding the audio levels & mix in general, so will work on it. Normally I'm particular about this sort of thing but must have overlooked it. After so long looking at this with 'editing' eyes, it is nice to get a fresh viewpoint on it.

That's disappointing to hear about the contrast as I thought this one was looking pretty good, but invaluable feedback to receive so thanks. To be honest at the moment I'm not monitoring the footage on an external monitor, so I get the feeling my current monitors are not up to scratch for what I'm setting out to achieve. Also the grading tools in my current NLE are somewhat lacking to say the least. It's a work in progress...

The slo-mo thing is subjective I guess but I see where you're coming from. I may need to go to slo-mo rehab.

Having watched it again (and again!) I actually feel like the clip my be a little long in its current form, and in cutting it back hopefully I could do away with a few filler shots I had to use. If I do decide to re-cut it I'll post it here.

Thanks again. Cheers!

Paul Mailath April 8th, 2009 06:02 PM

I liked it - particularly the slow movement of the bride at 1:35, bu I have to agre with travis about the slowmo - at 2:05 you have the crowd slow clapping - to my mind that's an entirely different meaning than normal applause.

B&W sequences are a common tool but I have to question they're use or overuse - what does it add to the story? - just a personal thing

it looked like a fun wedding - the best kind

Tom Sherwood April 11th, 2009 01:56 PM

Nice looking shots... Couldn't get past the music, it was distracting. Maybe turn it down as Travis suggested, but I would use an instrumental. The song lyrics distracted me more than the volume, but maybe if it was turned down it wouldn't be so bad.

I didn't care for the slow-motion/opacity of the bride at 1:35 she looks like a ghost which signifies that she is dead. Less slow-mo. The rest looked pretty nice to me.

Michael Ojjeh April 11th, 2009 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=Travis Cossel;1065464] You've proven the point that steadicams and adapters are all just tools, and are not necessary to create an engaging video. Nice work.

Travis, I agree with 100% on this,

Matt, nice work I also like to see you cutting down on the slow motion, you have some nice footage no need to slow it down.

Steve Slattery April 12th, 2009 01:24 AM

Loved it, Jewish weddings are such good fun and you reflected this well in the edit. Overall I agree with the comment about the levels during the dialogue, I thought the piece would have been better shorter as you mentioned but I personally dont mind the slo-mo to much (very much a personal thing). Also I thought the shots of the couple in a field were a bit cold compared to the excellent colouring of the rest of the piece.

Matt Barwick April 12th, 2009 11:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Very valuable feedback and like I mentioned I feel like I'd been looking at this one with 'tired eyes' so it's good to have some fresh views. Particularly regarding audio levels, amount of slo-mo, B&W etc.

In hindsight, I think it was a 'square peg, round hole' thing with the choice of track. I heard this song and desperately wanted to use it for this wedding but looking at it now I don't think it's a good fit.

I'm in the process of re-cutting it to another more suitable track and will post the re-edit here when done!

Cheers,

Matt.