DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Trailer from Saturday's Wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/223066-trailer-saturdays-wedding.html)

Dawn Brennan April 21st, 2009 01:16 PM

Trailer from Saturday's Wedding

I normally don't post my work... lol... cause its scary! BUT I worked with an exceptional couple and wanted to make an exceptional piece for them to come back to and I know that this is the place to come for excellent critique. Here is a trailer I created and I am having a hard time critiquing it myself because it is a much faster piece than I typically create. I am aware the the coloring in the last 2 clips doesn't match the rest... accidentally forgot to remove an effect. Any feedback is appreciated!

Ok... deep breath... here you go:
Steve & Rochelle Trailer on Vimeo

Edit: Sorry I edited those last 2 clips to make them match... so it was down for a little. Back up and running!

Tom Sherwood April 21st, 2009 02:45 PM

I liked the fast pace, the music fit really well for it. What did you use for the music? Good job.

Richard Wakefield April 21st, 2009 02:58 PM

you win the prize for the most attractive bride ever!!

I thought it had great variety, and a really good pace. And I think you might know what comment is coming: it would look REALLY great with colouring. In other words, I think this epic, dramatic score would just really be complimented and topped off with super creative colouring! just a thought...

funnily enough we both have similar elements in our recent cinematic trailers! (Joanne and Peter - Cinematic Wedding Trailer on Vimeo)

anyway, nice work....really good to see some work from you Dawn, after seeing your name on here a few times

Terry Taravella April 21st, 2009 03:07 PM

Hi Dawn,

I thought you had some pretty nice shots in there, but the music was a little scary. I kept feeling like something bad was going to happen.

Did the bride request the music?

Dennis Murphy April 21st, 2009 03:18 PM

Ditch the music in my opinion... I kept expecting the barbarian hordes to come over the horizon and the bride and groom to pull out swords, jump on horses and go and fight them.

Stephen J. Williams April 21st, 2009 03:26 PM

Dawn....

I loved the edit... I didn't know how to feel about the music at first. But once the ending came I sorta found my self "digging it"... You were going for the coming soon movie trailer look, and I think you pulled it off.
Steve

Don Bloom April 21st, 2009 03:54 PM

Dawn,
As most here know I rarely comment on trailers and edits however I felt I must for this one.
Excellent piece! While some don't like the music personally I loved it.
I love music like this for openers and trailers. Quite dramatic.
Now for the one negative comment. I think you must lower the music and/or raise the voice tracks where she is talking in the beauty shop. I had a very hard time hearing what she was saying. Other than that I liked the edit.

Michael Ojjeh April 21st, 2009 07:55 PM

I like that kind of music, it is dramatic it fits very well with any trailer.
Liked the edit, job well done :)

Dawn Brennan April 21st, 2009 08:37 PM

Sorry had to post and run earlier! Thanks for commenting! I really do appreciate it and am trying to make a consious effort to comment on others work. Its hard for me because I feel like I'm a still learning and never know what to offer other. But I appreciate both the good and bad in the comments.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 1121196)
I loved the edit... I didn't know how to feel about the music at first. But once the ending came I sorta found my self "digging it"... You were going for the coming soon movie trailer look, and I think you pulled it off.
Steve

Thanks Stephen... I used to think when I looked at others work using this sort of music that my videos could never "pull it off"... but I wanted that cinematic "whats-coming-next" feel. Thanks for commenting!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy (Post 1121194)
Ditch the music in my opinion... I kept expecting the barbarian hordes to come over the horizon and the bride and groom to pull out swords, jump on horses and go and fight them.

LOL... nice visuals... but I get it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry Taravella (Post 1121188)
I thought you had some pretty nice shots in there, but the music was a little scary. I kept feeling like something bad was going to happen.

Did the bride request the music?

They didn't request it and actually haven't seen it yet. It is quite a heavy piece, but I really enjoyed the challenges it provided me! I'll think I keep it this time, but I do understand your views as I used to share them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield (Post 1121183)
you win the prize for the most attractive bride ever!!

I thought it had great variety, and a really good pace. And I think you might know what comment is coming: it would look REALLY great with colouring. In other words, I think this epic, dramatic score would just really be complimented and topped off with super creative colouring! just a thought...

funnily enough we both have similar elements in our recent cinematic trailers! (Joanne and Peter - Cinematic Wedding Trailer on Vimeo)

anyway, nice work....really good to see some work from you Dawn, after seeing your name on here a few times

You aren't kidding... this bride was amazing and that says a lot coming from another "girl". LOL... we don't always say nice things about each other! I'll have to check out your trailer, I didn't get a chance before I hit reply. As far as the coloring, that is definitely something I need to challenge myself with. I didn't add any coloring at all to this one, and honestly, I never know where to go with it. I look to this board for inpiration a lot and I learn from all of you... so this is something I am going to concentrate on this year I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Sherwood (Post 1121079)
I liked the fast pace, the music fit really well for it. What did you use for the music? Good job.

The music was from X-Ray Dog... great stuff here for trailers and things of the like. It is all pretty hard core though, similar to this piece.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1121313)
Dawn,
As most here know I rarely comment on trailers and edits however I felt I must for this one.
Excellent piece! While some don't like the music personally I loved it.
I love music like this for openers and trailers. Quite dramatic.
Now for the one negative comment. I think you must lower the music and/or raise the voice tracks where she is talking in the beauty shop. I had a very hard time hearing what she was saying. Other than that I liked the edit.

And on this one... all I can say is Thank You! I always look for those heavy critics to rip appart my work and, no offense Don, but when I saw your name, my heart skipped a beat and had to brace myself before reading on! I do agree with the levels in the sound especially for the beginning in the prep, but I think after watching it several times, that I may adjust the vow part too, just becasue I know what it says, so I hear it all clearly, while others may not. Thanks again for the comment!!!!

Darren Smith April 21st, 2009 08:42 PM

Hi Dawn

Overall a nice piece, however I could not really relate the footage to the music. I understand what you are aiming for, I too would one day like to think that I could produce a dramatic piece to music like that, I just didn't think the footage was dramatic enough to warrant that type of music. That said, it is all subjective and there is no right or wrong, just customer satisfaction, if they are blown away with the product then you have achieved your goal.

Cheers
darren

Dylan Tobias April 21st, 2009 08:53 PM

I would maybe keep this clip as a comedy menu choice in their private dvd but not for the main trailer for public release.

All the visuals are good but the music is like war music, it will scare people and may actually hurt the bride personally or her family if they hear that music associated with her visuals.

I know that this music could work in a comedy type of cut for certain types of people, but unless she requested this song I would never use it in this context. I see this music fitting for like the last shot before a villan is killed in a movie or for tv just before Donald Trump says his famous line to someone and throws them out.

Otherwise very nice.

Noel Lising April 22nd, 2009 08:54 AM

Great work Dawn. I like the music.

My only comment was the opening shot, I assume it's the church, I think it would be a better fit if you use it an establishing shot before the footage inside the church.

Jawad Mir April 22nd, 2009 09:06 AM

I liked the editing very much and music in most parts

But I do think this music could have suited in a different situation

Like epic size bridal party, epic looking church and banquet hall

Just my 2 cents