DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   My first REAL wedding video, critique wanted! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/235849-my-first-real-wedding-video-critique-wanted.html)

Rishi Kumar May 22nd, 2009 01:11 AM

My first REAL wedding video, critique wanted!

Hey you may remember I posted my first wedding video/photo vignette months ago and I fell in love with videography. Well I had a wedding again last saturday, and I put together a quick "same day edit" for them, and I was wondering if i could get your output.

Thanks!

im using the SONY HVR V1U with steadicam merlin

Jon Sam wedding 05.16.09 on Vimeo

Oleg Kalyan May 22nd, 2009 01:45 AM

Well done, simple, to the point, would love to have more live: comments, dialogues.

Jason Robinson May 22nd, 2009 02:45 AM

I've only got a few points which I will first preface by saying that you are doing a fantastic job for this being so early in your shooting career! Great job! So don't take these following comments too hard, you are doing a great job. But we learn by commenting (heck, that is how I learned..... care to comment on my latest sample?)

At 2:00 you circle around the alter and then back up. that shot just didn't work for me. Either it was awkward to go one direction, and then circle back up and left, or something... but it seemed neat right up until you moved from the dutch angle to lifting up.

I did however like your coverage of the license signing. The gliding worked pretty well there.

The colors looked like there were a pain to try and correct (if you worked on it). There was a lot of over blue on the highlights, either as a result of overcorrecting for the very yellow lighting, or something else.

Also the gliding around for the groomsmen shoot with the photographer was pretty cool. good job there. That sort of shot has been on my shot list since I got the glidecam, but the first wedding I had to use it, the photographer did hte shots indoors in impossibly dark lighting.

The blur transition at 4:13 was a little odd for me. I don't tend to like "effects" transitions unless I'm creating a photo based movie, then there needs to be some extra pop. I usually just do crossfades or cuts (but that is just my style).

The cake glide at 4:08 was pretty shaky. Nothing but practice will help that.

Overall, great job, especially for a SDE! I have yet to get up the guys to try one. May be I will one of these years......

Juan Todoli May 22nd, 2009 11:51 AM

Well done Rishi... I hope to born asap sowhing all you my first shoots here, like you.

& one question:

Could I ask about SDE mean?

Just aproaching to the English jargon expressions (I usually speak Spanish).

Congrats again & thanks.

Jason Robinson May 22nd, 2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan Todoli (Post 1146894)
Well done Rishi... I hope to born asap sowhing all you my first shoots here, like you.

& one question:

Could I ask about SDE mean?

Just aproaching to the English jargon expressions (I usually speak Spanish).

Congrats again & thanks.

"mismo día redacta" ? (online spanish translation tool might not have workd well).

"Same Day Edit" where footage shot earlier in the day at the wedding ceremony is edited together in time to play for the couple at the reception.

Juan Todoli May 22nd, 2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 1146965)
"Same Day Edit" where footage shot earlier in the day at the wedding ceremony is edited together in time to play for the couple at the reception.

Thanks Jason, understood.

Asvaldur Kristjansson May 22nd, 2009 06:17 PM

Nice video, but one thing that I think could be better was that the level wat not always horizontal, (apart from the ducth angles). Some of the glide shots were a bit too fast and when cut on the movement to another movement in a opposite way then there is a risk of confusion to the viewer. But overall a good job.

Paul Mailath May 22nd, 2009 09:20 PM

Terrific - I've really got to put more practice into my Merlin.

:05 loved the way you pass the dress

:30 liked arrangement of the shoes

:40 you still seemed to be using the merlin yet you zoomed out - how? - I didn't see any camera shake

1:15 - 1:19 I noticed a interlacing effect on the guy's suits, I think you need to deinterlace this for Vimeo - not sure

I think this is really good work - keep it up