emotion...captured at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old May 26th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #1
emotion...captured
Matt Bishop Matt Bishop is offline May 26th, 2009, 05:09 PM

I haven't posted for awhile so I thought I would share this small highlights clip. This was probably the craziest, quickest and most stressful wedding I've had in awhile but it turned out to be one of the best. Everything happened so fast but it quickly became obvious what I wanted (and needed) to show to really capture the emotion of the day.

Check it out!

Kelsi + Jeremy Highlights MI STUDIOS

Matt

Matt Bishop
Major Player
Views: 2074
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Beautiful work Matt.

The stressful day you mentioned didn't show at all - the clip had a nice relaxed flow to it perfectly accentuated by the soundtrack. Beautiful words by the sister used to narrate it too.

I've seen lots of clips recently that have been over the top with the number of flying shots in them, but I think you nailed the mix with static shots perfectly. Well done.

Cheers,

Matt.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Major Player

Clean footage.. that is really key for this line of work!

You did a really good job.. although I must admit (sorry) to being kinda bored by the edit (as far as highlight edits go).

Again, your footage is really solid.. which is something I am really striving for right now as our company is changing (adding & loosing elements).
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Major Player

wow... what an emotional speech... nice one!

are you using pilot?

Santo
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Padilla View Post
Clean footage.. that is really key for this line of work!

You did a really good job.. although I must admit (sorry) to being kinda bored by the edit (as far as highlight edits go).

Again, your footage is really solid.. which is something I am really striving for right now as our company is changing (adding & loosing elements).

The edit did get slow in a spot or two which is one reason I kept it shorter and to the point. What we usually shoot in a few hours prior to the ceremony was all done in about 45 minutes due to everyone running extremely late. Quite honestly, I'm lacking a lot of footage that I would normally have but I worked with what I did get and I felt that it was just quick enough that I won't lose the audience. Thanks for you reply and input!

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja View Post
wow... what an emotional speech... nice one!

are you using pilot?

Santo

glidecam 2000
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt bishop View Post
glidecam 2000
wow!!! Great job then!
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #8
Trustee

great job! I loved the low angle shot. That is something I just tried this past weekend with one of my weddings (big .35 semi-fish eye on a GL2 at ground level for the dances. No idea how it will turn out, but it might work.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Beautiful edit. The music and speech really do invoke an emotion. It's interesting that the speech was so powerful it was used as the hook throughout the entire piece. Well done!

Where is that track from? I've heard it before in something unrelated to weddings and thought it was nice.
Eric Pasarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pasarin View Post
Beautiful edit. The music and speech really do invoke an emotion. It's interesting that the speech was so powerful it was used as the hook throughout the entire piece. Well done!

Where is that track from? I've heard it before in something unrelated to weddings and thought it was nice.
It's Cider House Rules soundtrack
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Great job Matt... I enjoyed watching that.

And good job on keeping it short to the point. Anything over 3 min would have been too long for the story/emotions you are trying convey in this piece.

Very emotional speech by the sister. I'm sure you must have felt like you hit jackpot when she got all emotional. As event story tellers, we look to capture these kind of moments in an event. They give a great foundation to build your story upon.

A few things I noticed:

1. Even though the piece was emotional, I felt like it was a bit one-sided. As viewers, we didn't hear/get to know Jermey as much as Kelsi. May be a few lines from the best man's speech would have done it.

2. Was the camera on the speaker unmanned? At one point, she was going out of frame and there was no pan to compensate that.

3. Blown out Exterior bg behind the speaker was kind of distracting to the eyes. I understand this is due to the reason your trying to expose the speaker properly. Perhaps another angle on the speaker avoiding the exterior bg might have been more pleasant to the eyes.

Great job overall. Keep it up.
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Purad View Post
Great job Matt... I enjoyed watching that.

And good job on keeping it short to the point. Anything over 3 min would have been too long for the story/emotions you are trying convey in this piece.

Very emotional speech by the sister. I'm sure you must have felt like you hit jackpot when she got all emotional. As event story tellers, we look to capture these kind of moments in an event. They give a great foundation to build your story upon.

A few things I noticed:

1. Even though the piece was emotional, I felt like it was a bit one-sided. As viewers, we didn't hear/get to know Jermey as much as Kelsi. May be a few lines from the best man's speech would have done it.

2. Was the camera on the speaker unmanned? At one point, she was going out of frame and there was no pan to compensate that.

3. Blown out Exterior bg behind the speaker was kind of distracting to the eyes. I understand this is due to the reason your trying to expose the speaker properly. Perhaps another angle on the speaker avoiding the exterior bg might have been more pleasant to the eyes.

Great job overall. Keep it up.

Thanks for the input! The whole thing was a bit one sided and that's why i mentioned the lack of time and footage earlier. I didn't have much of the guys at all that day and the best mans speech had nothing that could add to that or compliment hers. That was just the nature of this wedding.

It was a manned camera and typically framed correctly but I decided to cut back to that even though she was at the edge. Sometimes I don't know what my second shooters are doing...ugh. :-)

This venue is always hard to shoot at because it's over filled and the whole wall is windows. I know it's blown out but sometimes you just have to take what you can get for these weddings! I get amazing footage at other weddings, but worthless speeches...hardly ever all falls into place.

I was also getting very worried because I knew it was a good toast but the dj kept turning up the volume and it was feeding back. I'm plugged in for a perfect feed and yet, it still isn't as good as it could be because the dj is now affecting my audio. I just can't win :-)

Thanks again! Matt
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #13
Major Player

Matt, Beautiful edit, shots and good motions on the glidecam. did you use it with the smooth shooter or just hand held ?

Keep up the good work !!!!!!!!!!!!
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #14
Major Player

Very emotional, endeed!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Matt,

Given your challenges, this is a very beautiful piece indeed - love the speech and the Dad wiping his eyes - that's a true moment.
Dean Morris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery