DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Wedding extract for review. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/258899-wedding-extract-review.html)

John De Rienzo August 9th, 2009 11:28 AM

Wedding extract for review.

Like everyone we are on a journey to constantly improve our work.

Would appreciate feedback on this wedding extract showing parts of our wedding, mainly the beginning.

Thank you.

Wakako & Chong - Wedding Day Extracts. | Wedding Video

Steve Slattery August 9th, 2009 12:25 PM

Hey John,

Thought the extract was really good, and loved the intro with the use of time lapse. As a personal preference heres what I wasnt keen on:-

Cutting didnt seem right on some of the natural audio at the start, possibly due to the noise of the hairdryer or the curve as the soundtrack was brought back in. Also I didnt care for the crossfade between the two tracks of music, I would have done the changeover on the VO, so fade the first track while talking and brought in the 2nd as the VO ended. I wasnt sure who was talking when the Bride came down the aisle, but realised it must have been the groom so not sure if you could have time shifted to show him speaking at that point? Finally I found the angle on the front cam low (below eye level of the bride) and just thought cinematically it would have been better on her level!

All minor things and just my own personal views. I assumed you were looking for negatives on the extract rather than praise on this one? As I said overall it is great piece with some lovely shots and great cutting particularly on the groom prep. Well done.

Steve

Chad Nickle August 9th, 2009 04:11 PM

Didn't I see this posted somewhere months ago? or am I going completely crazy????"

No, Looking at it again, I KNOW I have seen this exact same video posed for review before, I thought it was here?

John De Rienzo August 9th, 2009 04:40 PM

Hi Steve, thank you for your help and agree with your points...extremely helpful and very much appreciated.

Chad, your not going crazy! but it was only a 30sec clip...the first 30 seconds,lol....

Cheers.

Chad Nickle August 9th, 2009 04:42 PM

Aaah ok never mind! Nice clip!

Noel Lising August 10th, 2009 02:46 PM

That was excellent, my only negative comment was the music fade you did (shot of the mother), maybe a longer fade, I feel it was to abrupt. Very lovely opening sequence.

Kenzie delaTorre August 11th, 2009 08:00 AM

I like the video overall, you did a great job, but you asked for critique specifically so I am digging at it with these points below, wearching for something to help you out:

01:11 - clip panning down on shoes on staircase - never seems to get the focus right on the shoes. It feels like you are about to rack focus in to the shoes but it never gets there and stays out of focus

01:14 - photo board - camera works seems a little weird how the left side of the frame is visible, then as you move it is not, and then it is visible again. kind of like a little too much horizontal movement of the camera (hand and body rotation) while trying to glide with your feet to the left. hope that makes sense.

01:17 - pan down of Chong baby photo - looks like it was shot with a different setting, or edited in a different way than the following photo (of her) because the first one plays choppy and the second one plays smooth. Also think both could be a little quicker, and not so slow IMO.

as said before, the timing and switch of the music was distracting.

04:09 - lady/mom looking at her camera - personally I would much rather see mom looking emotionaly at her child showing the emotion of the day, rather than a video of her chimping off of her point and shoot camera.

04:46 - bride smiling - settings seem to be blowing out the highlights on her cheek, nose, forehead, and dress. Maybe there was nothing better that could be done in camera, but it also looks like an editing filter has made it look worse, like a contrasty filer/effect over a blown out image.

Hope I was not harsh.
Overall I really like what you have done here. I was just picking at some things since you asked for critique.

John De Rienzo August 11th, 2009 02:44 PM

Thank you for all your comments. I guess I was not looking for so much the technical aspect or trying to find fault for the sake of it! but more ways to improve in making it more of a piece which people can engage with.

Sometimes it does not matter how creative or technically good a piece is it is missing something which brings that piece to life! draws a reaction, a emotive response from the viewers...hope this makes sense.

It could be just a simple fact of adding more voiceover to draw the viewer in and give them more of an insight into the couple. It could be switching clips around, or adding more interview style.

I guess these were my thoughts for improvement as opposed to a little over exposure or a quirky move etc....likened to a film one may watch that is technically perfect and as dead as a dodo! or pretty pictures without substance.

If you have followed me this far then your either confused or it makes sense :)

Cheers.

Kenzie delaTorre August 12th, 2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John De Rienzo (Post 1209917)
Thank you for all your comments. I guess I was not looking for so much the technical aspect or trying to find fault for the sake of it!
I guess these were my thoughts for improvement as opposed to a little over exposure or a quirky move etc....

Cheers.

I can understand what you are saying.
I hope you are not offended by my critique.
I was merely trying to assist along the lines of what you had originally asked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by John De Rienzo (Post 1201060)
Like everyone we are on a journey to constantly improve our work.

Would appreciate feedback on this wedding extract showing parts of our wedding, mainly the beginning.

Thank you.

Wakako & Chong - Wedding Day Extracts. | Wedding Video

John De Rienzo August 12th, 2009 02:39 PM

Hi Kenzie,

Absolutely not offended! all points are valid....my thoughts just drifted into thinking one shot overexposed or one shot not technically perfect, even if corrected will not necessarily improve or change the feel of a piece...

Cheers.