DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   my latest... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/318287-my-latest.html)

Stephen J. Williams August 24th, 2009 08:39 PM

my latest...

Amy & Eric on Vimeo

steve

Susanto Widjaja August 25th, 2009 09:24 AM

Hi Stephen,

These are the key things that came up to me instantly when watching the video:

1. the music is too disney-like and it doesn't go with the video
2. I like the b-roll (dresses and Close-ups stuff particularly the opening door shot 00:46)
3. A lot of nice moments there but the music and the edit just doesn't gel
4. Love the reflection on roll royce.

keep up the good work mate!

Santo

Stephen J. Williams August 25th, 2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1267814)
Hi Stephen,

These are the key things that came up to me instantly when watching the video:

1. the music is too disney-like and it doesn't go with the video
2. I like the b-roll (dresses and Close-ups stuff particularly the opening door shot 00:46)
3. A lot of nice moments there but the music and the edit just doesn't gel
4. Love the reflection on roll royce.

keep up the good work mate!

Santo

The bride really wanted that song... it's really not my style to edit to a song like this...
As far as "gel'ing"... i liked the direction that I was heading in with everything until the very end. I kinda felt like I lost it and something didn't fit right. But I didn't want to include anything from the reception of the photo shoot.
ohh well... As always thanks for watching/commenting Santo...

Steve

Don Bloom August 25th, 2009 01:45 PM

Steve,
I actually kinda liked the music until it got to the first car shot. Then it kinda died out, but I did like the piece overall. The most glaring thing to me was a couple of the detail shots of the car were a bit wobbly. Intentional? If not maybe a monopod or multirig would be the ticket. Not objectionable just not as solid as the other shots.
Nice trailer, I'm sure the couple loved it.

Stephen J. Williams August 25th, 2009 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1268703)
Steve,
I actually kinda liked the music until it got to the first car shot. Then it kinda died out, but I did like the piece overall. The most glaring thing to me was a couple of the detail shots of the car were a bit wobbly. Intentional? If not maybe a monopod or multirig would be the ticket. Not objectionable just not as solid as the other shots.
Nice trailer, I'm sure the couple loved it.

Thanks Don... The wobbly shots were definitely not intentional... I've been shooting a lot on a tripod and during this part of the wedding I had it already packed away.
I've recently upgraded from my DVX to a shoulder mounted camera. It's much larger and much heavier... It's also without a OIS on the lens.
I think fatigue played a major factor during those shots...
Thanks again for commenting.

Steve

Vito DeFilippo September 3rd, 2009 08:41 PM

Hey Steve,

I liked your highlight a lot. I think you did a great job, especially given the music you were handed. Well done.

I love the way you shoot. Nice eye for composition, lots of detail shots (maybe even too many!).

Brilliant intro with musicians and leading into the house.

Nice use of the music climaxes at first view of bride, and of groom later.

After that, I guess I would have used the cutaways more as, well, cutaways. For example, we see a whole bunch of detail shots before we see people. It would have been great to mix those up more. You know, rack focus on shoe, then her putting on earring, detail of dress, shot of dad with tears in his eyes, etc, etc.

In the church at :56, you have three unrelated shots of the bride in a row thrown together. This makes the story awkward. Use some cutaways to transition between. The ring bearer would work for one.

Nice use of nat sound when the music slow down (champagne toast).

But then a hard cut to them kissing with the rolls royce. You have lots of cutaways available of the car. You could have used them to transition to that shot, and also before they get in the car.

I guess that kind of thing would help a lot to smooth out the edit and make the story flow better.

But it looks great anyway, I'm sure they loved it. Nice work.

Vito DeFilippo September 3rd, 2009 08:49 PM

By the way, just watched Mike and Kristin save the date.

That was awesome...

Forgot to say your pricing is way, way....way....way, way too low.

Stephen J. Williams September 4th, 2009 05:41 PM

Vito...

Thanks for watching and I'm even more grateful for the comments. I know exactly what your saying about the use of cutaways. I dont know why I didn't see it before. I knew that I was somewhat losing the edit towards the end but couldn't put my finger on the problem.
I'll mix up the detail shots more in the future...

Thanks for checking out the Save the Date video. The B&G just wrote me today saying how much they liked it...

You somewhat sound like my wife as far as pricing goes :-) She's always saying I need to charge more. I'm just intimidated about "up-ing" my price... I know my prices are laughable to some and hopefully I'll be able to fix that in the future.

steve

Vito DeFilippo September 4th, 2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 1312819)
I'm just intimidated about "up-ing" my price... I know my prices are laughable to some and hopefully I'll be able to fix that in the future.

Hey Steve,

It's not a question of laughable or not, it's whether you can make a profit (unless you are doing it for fun, which is a different story).

I read what your package includes, and I don't know how you do it at that price. You must be working for minimum wage.

I would double the price if I were in your shoes, or make the package simple and charge for the additional stuff, like pre-wedding shoots or whatever.

Anyway, it's your business, so it's up to you in the end what to do.