DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Wedding Trailer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/321854-wedding-trailer.html)

Aaron Almquist August 25th, 2009 06:42 PM

Wedding Trailer

Hey everyone,

First time post on this site. Here is a trailer for a wedding film I just finished. Check it out, let me know what you think! Canon xha1, glidecam hd2000, micro beam, CS3, magic bullet.

Untitled on Vimeo

and here is a shorter clip with some intimate moments

Intimate Moments on Vimeo

Jason Robinson August 27th, 2009 12:52 PM

I liked the Austin & Staci clip! Good job on pacing, nice bright colors, good shot selection (not all wide shots). Some of the GC footage looked a little bouncy to me (unless it was hand held and I thought it was flying footage). I also shoot with a Glidecam 4K) and that might just be my pickiness because I frequently chide myself on my bouncy / wobbly flying when I look at the footage afterwords (which is why I rarely release footage that is from the GC unless it is stellar footage).

I see that you are falling prey to the classic problem of left-side LCDs with a flyer . . which means you tend to always circle around something in the counter-clockwise direction because that allows you to see the LCD better. :-) I do this all the time as well. It is just hard to circle clockwise with a subject on the right, and the LCD facing away from you.

And now that I think about it, I only saw ONE non-clidecam shot in the whole reel (the ending shot). It looked like everything was hand held or GC. Not that this is bad . . . just that EVERYTHING had movement and so my eyes started noticing the movement's intricacies and foibles (probably because I look for exactly this sort of thing in my footage).

Not that a client would ever notice anything I'm talking about. From a B&G POV, this is stellar stuff and I'm sure they love it. I actually really loved that closing shot. The framing, the movement of the flower bouquet against the locked camera. Very good closing title scene. I need to find good title scenes for my shots. I am starting to find too many GC shots or too many shots following moving subjects and not a lot of nice stationary establishing shots for title sequences. I am thinking specifically of Phil Bloom (here on DVInfo) and his opening scenes to this wedding video. That post absolutely altered what I want my productions to look like. Very cinematic.

Oren Arieli August 27th, 2009 06:17 PM

And we're circling...and we're circling. I fall victim to the same type of beauty shot with my Merlin. Even though I force myself to do a clockwise-counterclockwise reversal whenever possible. Its only when you put too many of those shots back-to-back that they really stand out. But when that happens, it takes you out of the 'magic'. I don't know that the B&G will necessarily 'understand' this, but I'm sure it affects them subconsciously. I would consider a more-is-less approach with the table settings shots. A couple of good shots with variety beats a dozen good shots without variety (I exaggerate, of course). Just nitpicking.

Aaron Almquist August 28th, 2009 04:40 PM

Jason & Oren

I really apperciate your feedback. You gave me alot of great advice that i will be sure to use for future jobs! Your exactly right about the amount of glidecam footage vs tripod footage. This was my first wedding using the glidecam (i had just recieved it the week prior to the wedding). I also work alone, so for 10 hours i was carrying around my camera and the glidecam (and yes it was handheld, no vest). I realized since then that i need an assistant to carry around my tripod for me.

And again your are right when you saw all of my gc movments were counter-clockwise. I never thought about the subconscious perception of movement, but will be sure to add a variety from now on, Thanks!

-Aaron

Jason Robinson August 28th, 2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Almquist (Post 1282197)
Jason & Oren

I really apperciate your feedback. You gave me alot of great advice that i will be sure to use for future jobs! Your exactly right about the amount of glidecam footage vs tripod footage. This was my first wedding using the glidecam (i had just recieved it the week prior to the wedding). I also work alone, so for 10 hours i was carrying around my camera and the glidecam (and yes it was handheld, no vest). I realized since then that i need an assistant to carry around my tripod for me.

Consider getting a few QR plates & QR plate adapters. So you can put the cam on the GC or on the tripod adapter with just a few seconds of down time.

Or, since you work alone, get a MultiRigPro and put a QR plate on it. Then your don't need a tripod for all the setup stuff (since the MultiRig can do that almost as well as a tripod). I've have my MultiRig since Jan last year. I won't claim to be the first here to use it (though I think I beat Mark & Trish to it) but I will say that that MultiRig is a great investment for single man outfits since it allows you to leave the tripod behind for everything except the ceremony (which you better use one for). But you still are flexible enough for the pre-ceremony stuff to get occasional flyign shots AND stable interview shots, with out having to have a tripod in the tight dressing room areas (a constant problem).

Aaron Almquist August 28th, 2009 05:14 PM

Yeah i have a QR plate on my GC so i can switch between that and my bogen 501. Just need a cheap assistant :)

Jason Robinson August 28th, 2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Almquist (Post 1282311)
Yeah i have a QR plate on my GC so i can switch between that and my bogen 501. Just need a cheap assistant :)

I use my (occasionally willing) wife as assistant. :-) However all the hurry up and wait of the prep portion does take a special kind of assistant. Boring, and then "OMG, grab the cam and follow me!"