DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   "Straight to NO.1"! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/323115-straight-no-1-a.html)

Oleg Kalyan August 26th, 2009 03:01 AM

"Straight to NO.1"!

Been extremely busy with work, have not posted here or elsewhere recently. Going to catch up with with that, share some latest.
Also getting ready for a ReFrame, which is a big responsibility, hope to show variety of work that is a bit different, not duplicating myself (to a degree :) or my colleagues around the world!

Cheers, Let me kno what you think of wedding film promo, "Straight to NO.1", (a bit crazy but lots of fun :)

a bit re-edited B version

Straight to No.1 :) B edit By Oleg Kalyan On ExposureRoom

Richard Wakefield August 26th, 2009 05:51 AM

What energy, and what superb editing - i literally didn't feel the urge to look away for a split second!

Oleg Kalyan August 26th, 2009 06:06 AM

Richard, thank you, some Russian friends say, perhaps I shouldn't put the friends song live performance into the mix.. What do you think?

Richard Wakefield August 26th, 2009 06:32 AM

well that is strange you ask that.... when i first watched it, i could not for the life of me work out if that was an official pre-recording of the song, or a live recording...it sounded too good to be live, but also looked too 'real' to be dubbed/mimed! Either way, it was very clever, and I say leave it as it is.

Oleg Kalyan August 26th, 2009 06:55 AM

Richard, I mean the song of two friends in front of the B&G :)

Richard Wakefield August 26th, 2009 07:03 AM

oh....THAT bit :)

ok, i'll be REALLY honest with you.... i thought you left it in because lets face it, it would be brilliant for the people involved to watch back...but to other viewers, it was the only shot that seemed too prolonged, and with un-matching audio levels to the rest of it

other than that, the clip was flawless and i loved it!

Oleg Kalyan August 26th, 2009 08:29 AM

Richard, thank you, kept it that way, bad acoustics, poor audio, and you know singing...
from the heart :)
the link has changed due to a bit of re edit, cc.

thanks everyone for watching.

Travis Cossel August 26th, 2009 02:48 PM

Fantastic editing and amazing energy. Some extra color work would put this over the top for sure.

As for the guys singing, that's a tough call. I got the impression that the bride didn't find it as humorous as the groom, but the groom was laughing hysterically. In some ways, it was a bit of a nice break in the energy, kind of like how you have a slowdown during a feature film. It allowed you to end with a bang without that feeling that the piece was too intense.

I guess I'd say leave it in, unless the bride really didn't enjoy that moment. It was hard to tell from her expressions, but it seemed like she wasn't into it.

Kren Barnes August 26th, 2009 04:13 PM

Its awesome! energetic and cool concept..its like a preview for a really good wedding reality show !!

Ken
Vertical Video Works | Official Site

Monday Isa August 26th, 2009 04:26 PM

Absolutely sick job Oleg. That was quite an edit. Your really fine tuning your style. The section with the guys singing was absolutely hysterical. The only thing I did not like which is not operator nor editor fault was the jello happening in some unsteady shots, and a few whips. It's a fair trade for great looking footage in the 5D. Thanks for sharing

Monday

Oleg Kalyan August 27th, 2009 11:32 AM

Travis, thanks a lot for feedback, I know it was a tough call, as well as some other things!
The energy of the guys and the wedding overall was fantastic, I guess the guys from London have that unique sense of humor :)

Ken, appreciate the comment!

Monday, thanks buddy! I know, there is a trade off when using 5d for dynamic shots, well it was worth it though... Canon, make another camera without rolling shutter!! SOON!! :))

Ken Diewert August 27th, 2009 04:13 PM

Another great job Oleg. I always enjoy your work.

Vito DeFilippo August 27th, 2009 08:53 PM

Wow, Oleg,

That was just awesome. I'm quite envious at your ability to shoot, edit, and produce something that looks so great, and is so polished. Hats off to you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 1271517)
Richard, thank you, some Russian friends say, perhaps I shouldn't put the friends song live performance into the mix.. What do you think?

I thought it worked great, but was just too long. Just the first two lines would do it, cause they lose the energy in the second half anyway.

Can I fly out and be your assistant at the next one? Hehe...

Amazing work!

Oleg Kalyan August 27th, 2009 10:37 PM

Кen, thanks a lot!

Vitto, appreciate your comments, encouragment!
I see your point. The reaction was different from different people in this scene. Katya for sure didn't quite know how to react :) ...a live moment which I 100 love and try to find in all my work, truthful expression, bits of spontaneity.

Welcome to Moscow, fly today, tomorrow I shoot a wedding in Moscow with... Jerry Ghionis :) !
in need of an assistant! If it's too late, come to ReFrame, I will talk a lot about spontaneous work in weddings.
_______

If anyone wants to drop a line in my livejournal, it'd be great!
???? ?????? - ????. - "Straight to No.1".. ? promo for Richard&Katya wedding film.

Vito DeFilippo August 28th, 2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 1278977)
tomorrow I shoot a wedding in Moscow with... Jerry Ghionis :) !
in need of an assistant! If it's too late, come to ReFrame, I will talk a lot about spontaneous work in weddings.

I just checked out his website. Holy cow!

Wish I could come see you, Oleg....

Noel Lising August 28th, 2009 08:32 AM

I find watching your videos inspiring & frustrating at the same time. Inspired by your great work and frustrated that I am not at your level. You're on my list of the top 25.

Kren Barnes August 28th, 2009 02:03 PM

i would consider Oleg in the same league as StillMotion, Jason Magbanua... so for me definitely in the Top 10..

Oleg Kalyan August 28th, 2009 02:21 PM

Thank you a lot everyone. Your words of encouragement mean a lot.

Still have to learn, study too many things, and it's everyday learning, isn't it?
That's fun part of our craft, but once it's clear what to do, have to change around,
so it doesn't become predictable. Glad to share what I know!

Matt Barwick August 29th, 2009 06:27 AM

I did give you some blog lovin' already Oleg but feel like I should comment here too :)

Great work - extremely innovative and original which is really refreshing to see. Great energy and a tight, tight edit too. Can only imagine the hours that have gone into it but well worth it.

I actually shot my first Russian wedding a couple of weeks ago which was quite an experience. Loud chants of "gor'ko" throughout the night as well as many, many spontaneous, unannounced speeches/toasts. Very challenging to keep up with it so my hat goes off to you.

Again - very impressive work! Well done.

Cheers,

Matt.

Rochelle Morris August 29th, 2009 07:22 AM

loved the concept...totally cool filming & editing.

Oleg Kalyan August 31st, 2009 10:01 PM

Matt, Rochelle, thank you !