DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Cinematic 1 Cameraman Shoots! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/468231-cinematic-1-cameraman-shoots.html)

Richard Wakefield November 23rd, 2009 06:20 AM

Cinematic 1 Cameraman Shoots!

Hi all,

I've not posted in a while, and have really enjoyed seeing all the clips on here recently. So I thought i'd share a couple of recent ones.

What's different to normal is that I shot these completely on my own (2 cameras). I didn't think i'd enjoy doing that, after being so used to having an assistant, but I did!

and

Cheers

Bill Vincent November 23rd, 2009 06:45 AM

Great job, Richard - especially being alone! I wouldn't want to be alone on a shoot yet.

Richard Wakefield November 23rd, 2009 07:08 AM

hey Bill, long time no speak my friend!

1 camera shoots, multi-cam, are daunting aren't they...and the main bit you have to perfect is carrying all the equipment all at once, in one go. you should see my biceps!

Mark Hendren November 23rd, 2009 09:57 AM

wow.

Richard,

As a solo videographer myself, you have definitely given me something to aspire to. I was just wondering, what's in your gear bag? I'm shooting right now with a Sony Z5 and a Canon HV-20. Would love to make my stuff look half as good as yours.

Thanks for sharing!

Mark

Richard Wakefield November 23rd, 2009 10:08 AM

cheers very much mark...

no problem - i have 2 x Canon XH-A1, 1 x Glidetrack, 1 x Glidecam, 2 x tripods... (then the small audio accessories etc in the camera bag)

i hope that helps!

Mark Hendren November 23rd, 2009 10:35 AM

Absolutely. Looking at getting a small glidecam for the HV20 (gotta start somewhere) and later a glidetrack of some sort. Would love to have the Cinevate rig, but not right now.

Thanks for the info!

Mark

Doug Bennett November 23rd, 2009 11:19 AM

Nice work Richard.

Did you grade the entire DVD with that look?

Louis Maddalena November 23rd, 2009 11:44 AM

Ok, so I haven't watched the second one yet. I'm going to do that right after I type up what I thought about the first one.

I'll start with the bad:

I feel like there was an over use of the fish eye, but after reading the thread I see its probably because you have the A1 and didn't have any other way to get a super wide shot that you were looking for. I can see where in the future possibly a 5D with a 14mm L might be the only thing you need to invest in and keep shooting everything else as you are. Don't get me wrong, there were many times where the fisheye was used that I enjoyed the distortion and thought it added a very artistic look that really added to the piece. So don't stop using it all together.

I also though, "Steadicam footage was a bit shaky" but then I learned it was a glide cam and I was very impressed. I can't even get my glide cam to fly as I want it at all which is why I upgraded to a steadicam rig.

The average:
Since I was really critiquing your work, I might as well point out that we can see you in the wide shot from the balcony ;) Although, that happens to most of us.

The good:

I loved the color grading, I thought it had a very filmic / cinematic feel to the way you decided to color the piece. I especially loved the color around 40 seconds .

The very good:

On the most part I didn't feel like I was watching a wedding video at all. I felt like I was watching a title sequence (with out the titles obviously) to a feature film in which the story is about the bride and groom's life after the wedding. The story flowed like each shot was scripted, it felt like you were establishing characters (probably family, friends, etc) I was waiting for the music to end, a fade out and to see both the bride and groom running around the house chasing a 4 year old dealing with the stresses of adult life.

I liked how in my head I was ready to see something else, but before I was able to actively think "ok lets get on with the story" like I sometimes do when I watch videos, you had already changed the shot and to something I wanted to see, somewhere else in the story. (example: when you were showing people in the church and then went out to the bus, and then after that how you went to photo session type shots)

I loved how you didn't just use the music all the way though, I know you did a voice over in the beginning and a lot of people do that and it really added to connecting the story through the beginning, but I also feel that adding the natural sound later slightly under the music really added to the piece. Just enough to bring us out of feeling like we were only watching shots set to music and more like we were actually there, yet to keep the music.

The random:

I know a lot of people are not to thrilled around the photographer being in the video. I avoid it sometimes, and love to put them in, in others. In this video I loved it.

And now for the second video:

I would like to just say Ditto as I liked it, so I am probably just going to say Ditto to much of the first comments as I have to get going and don't have the time to watch the video a few times and write like I did in the first one... but I did like it, maybe the color wasn't as strong or the audio or something because I didn't like it as much as the first one, but I did think it was a strong piece and I'm sure the clients loved it.

Richard Wakefield November 23rd, 2009 01:36 PM

Doug - well i don't grade the ceremony or speeches, but i do most other things. but my grading is getting more and more subtle. i shudder at how extreme i used to colour grade! and if i was just all 7Ds/mk2s, i wouldn't colour grade at all!

Louis - can't thank you enough for such an honest and detailed write-up, i loved it!
- i 1000% agree that there is too much fisheye..i've been meaning to get a non-distorting WA lens for ages now, but always seem to get distracted and buy other toys instead. and then on the day, i use the fisheye for a few shots, but when i get back home, i realise i used it alot more without thinking ;)
- I love my cheap copy-glidecam - i can get semi-decent shots most of the time, and have the ease of just picking it up at any random point i feel like.
- Yeah, very hard to get me out of that wide shot...darnit :)
- re music and length of clips - yeah, i really make an effort to keep it short and sweet, and with no repeated or prolonging shots. and have mini-stories, even if mixed up in order. gotta keep the viewer's interest

thanks again, really appreciated

Stephen J. Williams November 23rd, 2009 05:56 PM

ohh come on Richard... You didn't want to brush away the cobwebs at 2 30' :-)

I only watched the first one so far... I liked it! Like all of your videos the colors were dead on (please teach me :-) This was a fun video to watch. I think you really nailed the viewers attention towards the end. The church was beautiful but I really loved the outdoor shots the best.

Steve

Richard Wakefield November 24th, 2009 04:14 AM

cheers very much stephen

like the way you've picked up on the cobwebs... i could make up the fact i kept it in coz it symbolised so and so....but it'd be a lie. i just didn't want to disturb a perfectly happy spider ;)

re: colour-grading - next time you simply 'pass' by the UK, pop in and i'll show you :)

Doug Bennett November 24th, 2009 10:16 AM

Great job - is the highlights representative of the the entire video? If you do no grading of the ceremony it must look very different, or not?

Richard Wakefield November 25th, 2009 12:50 PM

hey doug - honestly, i don't need to colour-grade any of my footage, it all looks nice enough to leave as raw (as with the main edit of the ceremony+speeches). but i just like to add some flavour for highlights clips, so that they stand out a little bit.
i'm tempted to do a highlights clip with no grading/curves/adjustments at all...but the temptation to grade is always too great for me ;)

Doug Bennett November 26th, 2009 11:21 AM

A cinematic style wedding video is very difficult to pull off single-handed. To me it's kind of what the photographer does. Moving around looking for money shots. To do that without losing a lot of footage while you reframe, is difficult enough, but then added to the fact that a lot of event video has to, as an absolute requirement, record the event as it happens. All this while photographers are wandering around blocking your shots, the lighting dims, the schedule changes etc. In a doco style the unexpected happens and it doesn't matter too much, but cinematic style is really a lot about setting up shots, and having them come out as planned. Easy enough with a crew, but solo!!! You have my respect sir!

I would be very interested in seeing even just the highlights (vows/procession/first dance etc).

Helio Couto February 10th, 2010 12:36 PM

lens fish eye

Hi. Your video is amazing. Congratulations. What model of fish eye lens that you used on video of Adele and Tony? I have a XH-A1 and I'd like to adquire a fish eye. Thanks, Hélio