DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Virgin Islands Wedding Film (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/468778-virgin-islands-wedding-film.html)

Joe Simon December 2nd, 2009 09:04 AM

Virgin Islands Wedding Film

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, it's just been such a busy wedding season I haven't had time to be involved in the forum. I had a great time at this wedding and it came out cool so I thought I would share it with you guys.

Two weeks ago we shot this wedding in St. John. It all took place on this private yacht called the Sea Dream, it's a 400' boat. Ryan Koral from Epic Motion came with me to 2nd shoot, if you haven't seen his work you should check it out.

You would think shooting on a boat would be the best thing ever but it was pretty hard. I only got about 3 hours of sleep the night before the wedding because we were traveling form Puerto Rico to St. John and there were 3 meter waves the whole way over night. I was sleeping in the front of the boat and that section had a ton of movement, it just felt way to weird to sleep......

The other issues we had were dealing with the vibrating decks, very limited 110v plugs, and tight shooting quarters. Every-time we would go to use a tripod, monopod, pegasus ect. it was so shaking looking because of the deck's vibration. It might have been ok with a normal video camera but since we were shooting 5Ds it made very difficult. So for the ceremony we had to try and find the best area to put the tripods so it didn't look like we were shaking the cameras.

As well for the ceremony we had very limited space to move since the back deck was tight with all the chairs and railings. The chuppah made it even worse by adding another pole to obstruct our shots.

But in the end we got it done and had an awesome time shooting with the couple. The party went till 3am but we had to put the cameras away at about 1am when it started getting pretty loose LOL.

This was shot with 2 5DMKIIs, 1 7D, Glidecam 4000 HD, Cinevate Pegasus Carbon. Audio was with the Rode Video Mic on camera and Zoom H4n's for speeches and the ceremony.

Lenses Used -

15 f2.8
24-70 f2.8
24 f1.4
50 f1.4
85 f1.2
70-200 f2.8

You can see the short film here - Kim + Adam - Sea Dream Yacht, Virgin Islands Wedding ~ Joe Simon Productions- International Wedding Cinematography

Thanks for checking it out! All comments, suggestions and questions appreciated.

Noel Lising December 2nd, 2009 09:28 AM

I hear your name being mentioned along side other "star" videographers but I have never seen your work. Thanks for posting. One word to describe it " Beautiful".

Now you have made my stalk list. LOL

Monday Isa December 2nd, 2009 09:35 AM

Hey Joe,

Fantastic job! The opening shot of the yacht was one heck of a shot! Good pacing throughout. I have no idea how you guys could film on a boat with all that motion going on. I would've been sick from it. Good job with the challenges you faced. During the reception I could see you were struggling with focus a bit on the glidecam. Is it like that for all your glidecam reception footage with the vdslr? Lastly on the next boat shoot try not do slight dutch's with the horizon visible. That line can be brutal. Thanks for sharing! Really enjoyed it.

Monday

Oleg Kalyan December 3rd, 2009 12:10 PM

That looks really nice, great work Joe!

Bruce Patterson December 3rd, 2009 10:25 PM

Awesome job - loved it from beginning to end!

John J. Arnold December 3rd, 2009 11:12 PM

Outstanding Joe. I love your use of natural sound throughout, and some really gorgeous shots throughout as well. So smooth and steady, despite the boat and tight quarters. Nice work!

Joe Simon December 6th, 2009 01:02 PM

Thanks guys!

Monday - I'm not sure what you mean by struggling on focus..... The bridesmaids coming in was the only thing that was out of focus, this was because the B&G didn't tell us they were doing this special entrance. But all the dancing and rest of the reception was focused. When we shoot with a long lens we use selective focus to keep the attention where we want our viewer looking.

Monday Isa December 6th, 2009 02:19 PM

Yes the entrance part during the reception of the bridesmaids. That was the part I was talking about. Sorry about not being specific.

Justin Ferar December 7th, 2009 05:38 PM

How do like the 7d?

Joe, I see you brought along a 7d along with two 5d's. Just curious what your thoughts are regarding 7d vs. 5d- any preference? I've read lots of comparisons but none from a wedding videographer's perspective : )

Dimitris Mantalias December 10th, 2009 01:47 AM

This is truly excellent! This kind of yacht wedding is a dream not only to couples but also many videographers and you surely didn't miss the opportunity to do something extraordinary. The editing is top-notch and your shots (especially the one with the yacht at the beginning and the bride at the window at 1:35), are superb as well.

Well... what more can I say? :)

Joe Simon December 10th, 2009 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Ferar (Post 1457462)
Joe, I see you brought along a 7d along with two 5d's. Just curious what your thoughts are regarding 7d vs. 5d- any preference? I've read lots of comparisons but none from a wedding videographer's perspective : )

I love my 5D, the 7D is so so....... I can't wait till the update comes out for the 5D for 24p. The 7D overheats all the time, and in warm climates this is a huge problem. Here is my list of issues the the 7D

CONS -
Overheats
1.6 crop, Loose my good wide lenses
LCD not as sharp
Footage not as sharp
harder to focus
not as good in low light
image doesn't seem as good.

PROS-
1.6 crop, I get get better tight shots
level bubble
24p
60p

I mostly use my 7D for the ceremony so I can get those tighter shots with a shorter lens. But the 5D is my camera of choice right now.

Justin Ferar December 11th, 2009 12:25 PM

Wow, this overheating issue with the 7d is pretty MAJOR! You don't have this problem with the 5d?

Joe Simon January 2nd, 2010 11:46 AM

Never had problems with my 5D's overheating. I'm going to push my 7D a bit more on my next shoot and see if it will actually shut down. The overheating thermometer that shows up always scares me so I shut it off for a few minutes. But I've been thinking lately that maybe it will run like that for a while, I'll see this week.

Tom Bostick January 2nd, 2010 11:36 PM

absolutely love this video Joe
breathtaking and very inspiring!

Kevin Shahinian January 4th, 2010 01:48 PM

Great piece Joe, as always.

Glen Elliott January 7th, 2010 11:44 AM

Hey Joe, awesome work man. I saw this a while back and was blown away by this piece. I met you at the first ReFrame but didn't know much about your work other than what you showed me (BMX stuff). Your event work is stupendous! :)
This piece alone inspired me so much it prompted me to add you to my short list of votes for the Event DV25. This is some of the best work I've seen that doesn't look like Patrick's. ;)

Btw, your outdoor exposures look so smooth with the brightness squelched quite well. ND filters? If so what kind did you use? How about other gear? Pegasus carbon? Also any other stabilizers other than tripods and glidecam?

PS I was in St.Thomas two days later filming a wedding (11-14-09), my assistant urged me to make it an all 7D shoot. Thankfully I didn't listen- it was blazing HOT there! Thanks for sharing Joe!

Jose Ortiz January 9th, 2010 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Simon (Post 1467087)
Never had problems with my 5D's overheating. I'm going to push my 7D a bit more on my next shoot and see if it will actually shut down. The overheating thermometer that shows up always scares me so I shut it off for a few minutes. But I've been thinking lately that maybe it will run like that for a while, I'll see this week.

One month ago we also pushed our 7d to the max temp. warning having an error and losing the last file recording on the card. ( we were shooting in 30 frames)