DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Wrong Song for Wedding Highlights Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/469502-wrong-song-wedding-highlights-video.html)

Taky Cheung December 15th, 2009 11:27 PM

Wrong Song for Wedding Highlights Video

This happened few years ago. I was working for a Korean bride. For her highlghts video, I want to surprise her with a Korean song as a second track. I asked around some friends and nobody knows what's a good song to use. Someone recommended this song

YouTube- kiss.mp4

I don't know Korean. But the melody is nice. the MTV looks like a romantic love story. And the lyrics uses the word "love" a few times. So I went with it. Later on, I received an email from the bride. Here's what she said,

> OOOHHHH, did I not e mail you about that song?? I remember getting
> pretty mad when i was listening to the song and i guess i forgot to e
> mail you. Don't EVER use that song for other korean couple. The
> lyric goes something like this...
>
> "Someone told me that all the guys are the same, once you give
> everything they would leave. Why didn't you tell me you didn't love
> me any more....you and i broke up today, you told me to meet someone
> better than me....even tho i really hate you i will still miss
> you....etc...."
>
> yes, the melody is really good but not the lyrics....hahaha...who ever
> gave you the song is wrong...hahahah

Ooops.

Marty Welk December 16th, 2009 04:00 AM

everybody sees/hears things differentally
we used to always hear the song "White Wedding" being played at weddings by bride request, but i always thought it was strange myself "shotgun" (wedding) "start again" aka "nice day for a cream colored wedding".
then the video YouTube - Billy Idol - White Wedding with the casket being nailed :-) well i never thought of the song as a good song for a clasical psudo virginal "one and done" wedding, but more like second time around.

Then there is the bride dancing to "Brick House" , and other dance tunes with various negative connotations. ok so she might be a Brick house , that is her choice :-)

at some point EVERY lyrical song has some words that might not project the meanings (to Others) you wish to project, if you know ALL the words, and even the videos attached to them.
let them pick, or do the best you can and know something could go wrong with any of it.

Even a totally Perfect song, might have been a "Thier Song" for the boyfriend she DUMPED 2 years ago. :-)

Ken Diewert December 16th, 2009 11:16 AM

Taky,

That's pretty funny really.

I filmed a wedding of a family member (wifes nephew) 2 years ago where the brides siblings had made a photo montage and set the grooms photo montage to the tune of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' because he liked the group Queen. Well, my wifes sister who was the mother of the groom about exploded as she thought that the song was practically written by the devil. She still hasn't gotten over it. Actually, it wasn't so bad in that they didn't have the lyrics - just the music.

Needless to say I didn't use it anywhere in the video.

Taky Cheung December 16th, 2009 11:33 AM

haha.. that's funny too! I have also ran into weddings the DJ play Titanic - My Life Will Go On.

Kren Barnes December 16th, 2009 03:59 PM

LOL ! Happened to us too...used Jai Ho for an Indian wedding we filmed...long story short , parents didn't like it (they paid for the video) ; had to re-edit the video...such a cool song though :(

Erik Andersen December 17th, 2009 05:07 AM

Do we need to choose music that matches the ethnicity of our client? Or can we suppose that music is universal? Imagine filming a German couple's wedding, and switching to black and white Expressionist framing because they are from Germany. We should work using the tools that are familiar to us, no?

Randy Panado December 17th, 2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taky Cheung (Post 1460798)
This happened few years ago. I was working for a Korean bride. For her highlghts video, I want to surprise her with a Korean song as a second track. I asked around some friends and nobody knows what's a good song to use. Someone recommended this song

YouTube- kiss.mp4

I don't know Korean. But the melody is nice. the MTV looks like a romantic love story. And the lyrics uses the word "love" a few times. So I went with it. Later on, I received an email from the bride. Here's what she said,

> OOOHHHH, did I not e mail you about that song?? I remember getting
> pretty mad when i was listening to the song and i guess i forgot to e
> mail you. Don't EVER use that song for other korean couple. The
> lyric goes something like this...
>
> "Someone told me that all the guys are the same, once you give
> everything they would leave. Why didn't you tell me you didn't love
> me any more....you and i broke up today, you told me to meet someone
> better than me....even tho i really hate you i will still miss
> you....etc...."
>
> yes, the melody is really good but not the lyrics....hahaha...who ever
> gave you the song is wrong...hahahah

Ooops.

Hahaha....yeah that song is a bad song. Touching video...misleading though as it doesn't really match the lyrics. I remember watching that video YEAAARRSSS ago and really liked the story telling.