DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Next Day Edit - Indian Wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/480192-next-day-edit-indian-wedding.html)

Jawad Mir June 10th, 2010 06:50 AM

Next Day Edit - Indian Wedding

Vikram + Manisha wedding was a celebration of life this past weekend. Over the past year, we have met each other almost a dozen times in order to discuss things in detail and where what will be so the final product comes out above their expectations.

The following was shown at reception the next day. Welcome comments.

Notes:

Canon 5D
Canon 7D
Canon 10-22 mm
Canon 24-70 mm
Canon 70-200 mm
Glidetrack
Glidecam

Peter Manojlovic June 10th, 2010 02:10 PM

Hey Jawad....

Quite lovely..
Question though....When the people ask for full DVD coverage, what are you shooting with??
The ceremonies are quite lengthy...

What i'm getting at, is are you shooting full shoots with DSLR's??

Susanto Widjaja June 15th, 2010 04:24 AM

great job jawad

I know that this indian weddings are not easy to capture as they are massive and lengthy.

My humble critiques would be that i think the edit can be better, there are some cuts that are odd and jarring while the coverage is already very good.

The use of natural audio would help a lot in here but I guess its kinda hard for you as most of the weddings would have background music on it.

My favourite part is the detail shots of the ceremony venue. love the shot from the bottom of the hanging pieces.

Keep up the good work :)

Santo

Paul R Johnson June 15th, 2010 07:25 AM

Some shots were really nicely composed, and suited the content of the frame very well. On the whole, I felt it was spoiled a little by some random framing (there were plenty of legs and feet, but not as many faces?

For me, the issue was focus. The shallow depth of field worked in some shots, but not in others where the critical element was blurred - a hand was one of these, where the hand needed to be sharp, but wasn't. The focus pulls disturbed me, and the first few shots were soft for no reason - and at the very start, didn't work that well. There were a few very random zooms that jarred too. For me, everything was just too rushed - a little too fast, and didn't really tell a story as such - although I'm guessing the clips were compiled just for this viewing?

Sorry - but it just didn't work for me - shallow depth of field and the framing being the key features that shoved me that way.

Jawad Mir June 15th, 2010 08:33 AM

Peter,
Thanks for comments.

Yes the highlights were done on 5d and 7d

Susanto,
Thanks for your feedback. I agree on the audio part. That could have been a nice touch:)

Paul,
Thanks Paul for critical feedback. Rightfully so you have made some good observations. The random zooms and feet shots were intentional. We try to put our shots on musical beats and the feet shots were used as a way of transition.

Thanks again everyone for their thoughts and feedback :)

Kelly Langerak June 22nd, 2010 04:51 PM

How many days was the wedding and the final product?

I had a two day wedding and it was 2.5 hours long.

Aaron Jones June 25th, 2010 05:22 PM

I wasn't turned off by the idea of the fast zooms. I could tell you had intentionally used them to try to fit the music, however I feel (IMHO) that it was the choice of music which I felt was wrong. You have many shots of people dancing/celebrating/being excited, but I'm afraid that the music invites more of a chilled atmosphere. It would have helped if there was more natural audio to drive a narrative, but I still feel the song choice was holding you back.

You start off the slow song with a succession of quick cuts and then match the edit to the music around 34-45 secs. This pattern seems to repeat throughout. The quick zooms could have worked if this was more of an up-tempo piece, but as it is, I agree with Paul & Susanto that it comes across as jarring and random.

Also have to agree that the DOF is messed up in a few places. The focus is pointed away from the subject on many occasions. In 3 mins 20 secs the feet are walking out of focus! This is backward since there is no footage in that shot of the feet in focus.

Nice shot at 56 secs BTW

Please take my opinions as just my opinion.

Jawad Mir June 29th, 2010 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Langerak (Post 1541299)
How many days was the wedding and the final product?

I had a two day wedding and it was 2.5 hours long.

:) it can be less but i have seen much longer too