DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   How could I not? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/516856-how-could-i-not.html)

Clive McLaughlin May 29th, 2013 01:42 AM

How could I not?

This couple got in touch with me just three weeks before their wedding. In order to cut costs we agreed that we would not do a highlights trailer.

When I arrived, about a half hour in, I said to myself "I'm definitely doing a highlights trailer", I just loved the setting (Donegal, Ireland) and the styling, and the couple were just great on camera.

So as a surprise for them I gave them a shorter than usual highlights along with the package they ordered.

The thing is, when we put work online its a form of free advertising, I felt putting this couple in a highlights trailer will only help my business!

My other clients better not hear that I hand out freebies though!

Andrew Maclaurin June 9th, 2013 03:32 AM

Re: How could I not?

If you've got the time and the wedding is worth it then it makes sense to do a trailer to promote your business.
I enjoyed watching it, nice and simple in a good way. The timing with the 'pop' of the champagne with the music was great.
A few of questions, I guess you are shooting with DSLRs. Do you use 2 solo? I see you use a stabilizer a lot. Is it easy to keep balanced throughout the wedding even if you take the camera off repeatedly?
Cheers!

Victor Nguyen June 9th, 2013 02:58 PM

Good wedding films. However, I didn't like that you use copyrighted music.

Paul R Johnson June 9th, 2013 03:05 PM

I must admit, that I found little in the music choice to signify the country, and didn't really like it, but no doubt it was selected for a reason. I don;t quite understand what copyright music has to do with it? There are choices to be made - pleasant but unforgettable music, or popular stuff people may like. If you clear the copyright, it's just another choice. Victor - do you mean you never, ever use well known tracks?

Victor Nguyen June 10th, 2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson (Post 1799387)
Victor - do you mean you never, ever use well known tracks?

I never use copyrighted music for paid works. This is what the music bed is for Stock Music Licensing for Video, Photography & Film - The Music Bed

How do you feel if someone use your footage to make money?

Daniel Latimer June 10th, 2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen (Post 1799489)
I never use copyrighted music for paid works. This is what the music bed is for Stock Music Licensing for Video, Photography & Film - The Music Bed

How do you feel if someone use your footage to make money?

Did he say somewhere that he didn't get the rights to use that music? All music is copyrighted, you are using the Music Bed to purchase the rights to use that music.

Regardless, I liked the short highlights! Well done.

Noa Put June 10th, 2013 08:30 AM

I didn't know Ingrid Michaelson sold her music for use in wedding videos, anyone has a link to where it can be bought/licensed? If the price is right I might use it for one of my demo's.

Daniel Latimer June 10th, 2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1799497)
I didn't know Ingrid Michaelson sold her music for use in wedding videos, anyone has a link to where it can be bought/licensed? If the price is right I might use it for one of my demo's.

https://www.songfreedom.com/Featured...ichaelson.aspx

Noa Put June 10th, 2013 09:06 AM

Ouch, songfreedom...They don't have worldwide streaming rights worldwide for all their songs, not touching that with a stick. But thx anyway for the link :)

Clive McLaughlin June 11th, 2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen (Post 1799386)

Victor, if you check my Vimeo, you will see that this was a one off and all my other videos use music from The Music Bed. Because this wasn't paid for, I didn't want to fork out on a licence.

I figure once in a while is better than doing it ALL the time.

Andrew, yea, I'm a solo shooter. I have started to always use the stabiliser (Glidecam nano) for my guest shots. Its so dynamic, and you can get in among people and turn around a group standing together to see all the individuals. Since doing it this way, I would never go back to using multiple fixed position shots. I go fixed for service, speeches and photoshoot. Glidecam for in between and dances!

Phill Pendleton June 11th, 2013 07:08 PM

Great video Clive. Liked everything, how it was shot, edited and music. Made it feel like a real celebration.

James Palanza June 12th, 2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen (Post 1799386)

Someones a little touchy ;)

Clive McLaughlin June 13th, 2013 08:01 AM

Na, I see where Victor is coming from, its not a popular thing to tell a client that they can't choose a U2 song for their video, but it IS the law. I made the decision a few months back to go legal. And then that licence fee is taken out of my potential profit with every wedding, I must admit it starts to annoy me when competitors continue to ignore the law, while I'm paying out.

But like I said, this was an exception. I'm a naughty boy!

Victor Nguyen June 16th, 2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Palanza (Post 1800016)
Someones a little touchy ;)

touchy about what? ;)