DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   First C100 Wedding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/517195-first-c100-wedding.html)

Art Varga June 14th, 2013 11:23 AM

First C100 Wedding

Shot our first wedding on the C100 last week. This clip is a combo of 5D and C100 footage. Still working on color matching the two cams but think I'll get there with some more effort. :45 to :49 shows the C100 in low light with the iso cranked pretty high which allowed me to maintain a bit more DOF than I would with a DSLR.

James Manford June 14th, 2013 06:18 PM

Re: First C100 Wedding

Nice teaser trailer! Like it.

Thing is though ...

It looks like any other Canon footage.

I've seen 550d, 600d, 6D footage look the same. The C100 & 5D footage matched up pretty well though in my eyes ... but what's so special about the C100? low light performance? is that it?

A bit of topic, but again the Black Magic indian wedding on here ... I just saw bland neutral colours. What makes it stand out that it's a wedding done on a black magic? nothing. From a client's perspective it looks like any other wedding trailer.

It's as if to really show off these super expensive high end camcorders you need to do a lot of low light filming and proper colour grading to show what they are capable off, but it's just not feasable is it when filming weddings?

And no. I'm not jealous of the equipment. I just haven't been shown anything that makes me want to go out there and buy one! although I would love too.

Art Varga June 14th, 2013 08:16 PM

James - I wrestled with the justification on this cam too. You're right, the average wedding client is unlikely to notice any difference in the image quality but here was the one big thing for me. I'm hoping to get more useable footage out of the C100 because I won't have to be shooting at F1.8 all the time in dark venues and losing focus every time the subject moves a few inches. I'm impressed with the low light performance so far based on this first outing. Of course the ergonomics of the camera are beautiful too. Great for run-around wedding work. The ND filters came in really handy. The last benefit for me was the no limit recording. I used the C100 for my center aisle camera, locked it down hit record and then was able run around with my other camera without worrying about the 12 minute limit. I usually shoot with a 3 person crew for the ceremony. I can see that I can now do this with two going forward so a direct cost savings there.

Art

Adrian Tan June 14th, 2013 08:36 PM

Hey Art, have you compared the lowlight ability to a Mk3, or are you using Mk2s? If so, is it a big improvement?

James Manford June 14th, 2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Varga (Post 1800354)
James - I wrestled with the justification on this cam too. You're right, the average wedding client is unlikely to notice any difference in the image quality but here was the one big thing for me. I'm hoping to get more useable footage out of the C100 because I won't have to be shooting at F1.8 all the time in dark venues and losing focus every time the subject moves a few inches. I'm impressed with the low light performance so far based on this first outing. Of course the ergonomics of the camera are beautiful too. Great for run-around wedding work. The ND filters came in really handy. The last benefit for me was the no limit recording. I used the C100 for my center aisle camera, locked it down hit record and then was able run around with my other camera without worrying about the 12 minute limit. I usually shoot with a 3 person crew for the ceremony. I can see that I can now do this with two going forward so a direct cost savings there.

Art

Excellent.

If it saves you money in other ways, i.e. hiring help, then that alone is a good enough reason for this camcorder.

Art Varga June 15th, 2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian Tan (Post 1800355)
Hey Art, have you compared the lowlight ability to a Mk3, or are you using Mk2s? If so, is it a big improvement?

Adrian - I use an Mk2 so that is my only comparison

Tim Bakland June 15th, 2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1800339)
It looks like any other Canon footage.

Not sure I agree. From the comparisons I've seen, the C100 handles not only dynamic range extremes better than the best DSLRs, but also gives you better sharpness in those details in the distance.

Even though I have (and love) the C100, I can't give first hand comparisons with the 5Ds (never owned them), but it certainly does blow the T3i out of the water.

James Manford June 15th, 2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bakland (Post 1800430)
Not sure I agree. From the comparisons I've seen, the C100 handles not only dynamic range extremes better than the best DSLRs, but also gives you better sharpness in those details in the distance.

Even though I have (and love) the C100, I can't give first hand comparisons with the 5Ds (never owned them), but it certainly does blow the T3i out of the water.

If you throw up the same image, with a side by side comparison. Then yes, you will be able to see the difference in dynamic range, sharpness etc.

But trying to remember the quality from 'memory' ... they all look the same. Canon has it's own unique colouration/image style. And I honestly can't tell the difference.

So clients will definitely not be able to tell.

As long as the camcorders helping you deliver a better product, then it's a worthy investment.

But so far I haven't seen anything that's made me personally want to sell up and buy. Canon or BMC.

I recently upgraded from a Vg20 to a EA50 for one thing. Form factor. Otherwise the image is the same in my eyes and my clients eyes. With no real difference in my product other than it's now easier to capture certain things due to the ergonomics of my camcorder.

Adrian Tan June 15th, 2013 08:31 PM

Incidentally, Art -- beautiful images. Your work is always amazing. Apologies for giving in to the temptation to discuss cameras instead of craftsmanship.

Art Varga June 15th, 2013 10:06 PM

Thanks Adrian -no apologies required. I was hoping to stir up discussion on the camera and what it brings to the table relative to the work we do.

Art

Tim Bakland June 16th, 2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Manford (Post 1800439)
If you throw up the same image, with a side by side comparison. Then yes, you will be able to see the difference in dynamic range, sharpness etc.

But trying to remember the quality from 'memory' ... they all look the same. Canon has it's own unique colouration/image style. And I honestly can't tell the difference.

So clients will definitely not be able to tell.

For me, the clients' ability to discern or not was not my first motivator. They just want it to look good and I won't disagree with you that they probably won't know a 5D from a C100. But, knowing that there *is* that difference (plus all the video-friendly features you get with the C100) made it worth it for me. I'm so happy with the investment myself. I first went to HD with the Xf300. Then, I mixed in DSLR for a year or so. Working with a t3i for a year taught me how to focus manually, work with different lenses (and the images were lovely). But I often felt like I was shooting with a toy and that I was playing with fire a bit with that t3i. A couple of times the camera would literary jam up and freeze when I tried to record. I just felt like I was playing my luck in a big way. Now, with the C100, I have all of the DSLR image, the interchangeable lenses, and the peace of mind of having a real video camera at my fingers. As an often-times solo shooter, I feel so much more at ease and confident in what I'm delivering. And who knows...idealistic is it may be, maybe the client is seeing some of the difference that I am, too ...

Noa Put June 16th, 2013 01:59 AM

Hey Art, just hopped over to your vimeo page and watched 'Winter and Kevin Wedding Highlights' and the first part with the mother and grandmother story is something that could be shot with a gopro, if the content is right the type of camera will not matter at all to your client. I"m happy to use small handicams as a part of my toolbox as they enable me to get the content I"m after as a solo shooter but I still struggle at first dances as they tend to dim the light almost completely and my canon 550d hardly can cope with a f2.8 wide angle lens, there I wish I had a c100 or a 5dIII just to be able to crank up that iso to get some usable shots. It often comes down to budget what you can afford and I usually try to maximize my investments by buying cheaper gear, like the handicams and cheap 550d's so I can use more camera simultaneously. My nex-ea50 has been my most expensive investment lately but I have to be honest I have had lots of doubt weather a 5dIII body wouldn't have been a better investment for doing weddings, the nex-ea50 is a better all round "video" camera for sure but the small formfactor of a dslr (or a c100) is something I do miss and especially those astronomical high iso's you can set. I think it's time to get me a light on a stand so I finally can get better exposed first dances. :)

James Manford June 16th, 2013 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bakland (Post 1800496)
For me, the clients' ability to discern or not was not my first motivator. They just want it to look good and I won't disagree with you that they probably won't know a 5D from a C100. But, knowing that there *is* that difference (plus all the video-friendly features you get with the C100) made it worth it for me. I'm so happy with the investment myself. I first went to HD with the Xf300. Then, I mixed in DSLR for a year or so. Working with a t3i for a year taught me how to focus manually, work with different lenses (and the images were lovely). But I often felt like I was shooting with a toy and that I was playing with fire a bit with that t3i. A couple of times the camera would literary jam up and freeze when I tried to record. I just felt like I was playing my luck in a big way. Now, with the C100, I have all of the DSLR image, the interchangeable lenses, and the peace of mind of having a real video camera at my fingers. As an often-times solo shooter, I feel so much more at ease and confident in what I'm delivering. And who knows...idealistic is it may be, maybe the client is seeing some of the difference that I am, too ...

My first ever wedding was done with a Nikon D5100 before I got my VG20 and my EA50.

My Nikon jammed up several times too! so I know the feeling for having re-assurance as a solo shooter (i'm one myself). A better camera also allows more risks to be taken when capturing 'those moments'

Thins is faults can still develop on any camcorder ... is it Noa or someone else I read, who developed a fault with the menu button on their new camera?

Steve Bleasdale June 16th, 2013 05:46 AM

Art setting aside the c100 i loved the way the trailer was only 1.12 long, i get carried away by a story to 4 minutes long then when they get the dvd the momentum has been taken away. I am going to start only short teasers from now on! Perfect mate...

Art Varga June 16th, 2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1800499)
Hey Art, just hopped over to your vimeo page and watched 'Winter and Kevin Wedding Highlights' and the first part with the mother and grandmother story is something that could be shot with a gopro, if the content is right the type of camera will not matter at all to your client.

Noa - regarding the Grandma scene in that clip I totally agree. I would have been happy to capture that with any old camera because the content was so meaningful.

Steve- thanks for watching. I try to keep all my trailers at about a minute for a couple of reasons. One, to be able to get something out as quickly as possible. I love the reaction from the couple when they get their trailer while they are still on their "wedding high" Second, I like to save a lot of the good stuff for the main edit and the highlight reel that I deliver later on.

Art