DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Youtube v/s Vimeo (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/526692-youtube-v-s-vimeo.html)

Alan Daniel February 1st, 2015 10:27 AM

Youtube v/s Vimeo

Hai guys,
Haven't been here for some time.. Hoe are you guys ? .. Need a big help.. Please watch the same file on both site and tell me which one looks good.. I feel like youtube looks like crap.. But 2nd shooter think its the same... wat do guys think

Password:khan

Please do not hesitate to criticize the work too.. I do know that i have a looooong way to go and your positive and negative opinions are my ammo..

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2015 11:39 AM

Re: Youtube v/s Vimeo

1 Attachment(s)
Alan, welcome back. Looks like there's a password required for the one on Vimeo.

Paul Ekert February 1st, 2015 11:42 AM

Too close to call to be honest with you. Sometimes it looks as though the aspect in the YT version is slightly different, but othertimes not.

Great highlights though. Really works nicely with the music.

Darren Levine February 1st, 2015 12:16 PM

I think a big consideration is that youtube may automatically keep a lower default resolution depending on the user's connection speed, where vimeo will just wait to load. If i were to have to choose between a client seeing a low res stream, vs a non playing stream, i'd take the latter

Chris Harding February 2nd, 2015 11:39 PM

If I am using a clip for other brides to watch it's YouTube everytime, despite a lower resolution by default now and again.

The last thing you want is a bride to start watching your clip and then it stops and buffers...she will instantly move on and find something else that actually plays from start to end.

I gave up on Vimeo a long time ago despite the seemly better quality. You also need to remember that brides don't pixel peep like we do! They are only watching the content so resolution plays a much smaller part in the viewing process. Stick to a host that will deliver your message fast and easy and get you the booking .... If you are posting here for comments THEN use vimeo as the guys and girls here will expect a super sharp image ..brides couldn't care less .. they are looking at how pretty the bridesmaids dresses are!

Art Varga April 21st, 2015 10:26 AM

As long as you don't specify a higher resolution, Vimeo will automatically transcode to 720P which gives a nice image and won't cause any buffering problems. I hate that Youtube will not let you specify the resolution you want your viewers to see. The default of 480p looks like crap to me and I suspect most viewers won't bother to change it. Thus Vimeo is still my platform of choice

Art

Steven Davis April 21st, 2015 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1875595)
If I am using a clip for other brides to watch it's YouTube everytime, despite a lower resolution by default now and again.

The last thing you want is a bride to start watching your clip and then it stops and buffers...she will instantly move on and find something else that actually plays from start to end.

I gave up on Vimeo a long time ago despite the seemly better quality. You also need to remember that brides don't pixel peep like we do! They are only watching the content so resolution plays a much smaller part in the viewing process. Stick to a host that will deliver your message fast and easy and get you the booking .... If you are posting here for comments THEN use vimeo as the guys and girls here will expect a super sharp image ..brides couldn't care less .. they are looking at how pretty the bridesmaids dresses are!

Hey Chris, when you gave up on Vimeo, did you just go to server hosting? I thought smugmug was going to be my salvation, but they won't change the 'lower quality based on connection speed', so I was kinda bummed. I may go back to server hosting, but I was trying to avoid all the coding.

Gary Huff April 21st, 2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1875595)

Curious, because YouTube definitely buffers on me from time to time, so it's not like switching to YouTube automatically solves that.

Chris Harding April 21st, 2015 07:02 PM

Hi Guys

I suppose it also matters if the host has mirror sites around and about your area? I didn't complain about Vimeo, brides did ! Never had any issues with You Tube after I switched ..Sure YT does buffer but always ahead of the play point so as far as the bride is concerned when she clicks play it plays and never stops. I must admit it's frustrating when a video stops after 30 seconds and buffers. That's what brides dislike I think so I'd rather have a lower res video that plays instantly each and every time ... In fact I'm not sure that brides are pixel peepers anyway ... I have a mixture of 640x360 and 1280x720 videos on YouTube and brides seem to be quite happy with both formats and not really fussy at all.

Chris

Gary Huff April 21st, 2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1884097)
I didn't complain about Vimeo, brides did ! Never had any issues with You Tube after I switched ..Sure YT does buffer but always ahead of the play point so as far as the bride is concerned when she clicks play it plays and never stops.

I'm pretty sure that it does buffer on them, but brides know YouTube and are used to it, where Vimeo is foreign. So even though both do the same thing, they don't make the common connection and instead complain about Vimeo even when YouTube does it too, because it does it on their cat videos as well.

Chris Harding April 21st, 2015 08:11 PM

Hi Gary

The difference from where we are is that the buffer on YouTube is fast enough to keep ahead of the video whereas Vimeo tends to often stop the play and then buffer. It's the halt in play that maybe frustrates brides? I have no idea. They probably only watch a minute or so of our samples clips then move on to another to see if our style suits them. With cat videos they want to watch the whole thing of course.

It could also be that my brides are all in Australia and my website is hosted in LA so it might also be a slow connection between us and the USA As long as they are happy, I'm happy!

Chris

Gary Huff April 22nd, 2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1884103)
The difference from where we are is that the buffer on YouTube is fast enough to keep ahead of the video whereas Vimeo tends to often stop the play and then buffer.

YouTube just stopped and buffered on me today in fact. That's what I've been talking about the whole time.

Roger Van Duyn April 23rd, 2015 04:23 PM

Vimeo stops a lot of the time for me here in Florida. And it happens to me here in Lakeland, in Orlando, or the Tampa Bay area. Vimeo usually stops several times if the video is longer than a minute or two. That's why I dropped my Plus account two or three years ago. It wasn't working as well as free YouTube. When Vimeo was better quality, offering HD when YouTube did not, I paid for the quality difference.

YouTube caught up and passed Vimeo quality wise. And then YouTube improved the way you can set up your channels and how they look. To add insult to injury, right before I dropped Vimeo, they changed the settings and I could no longer make my channel look like I wanted it to look. It's like the razor blade commercials where the customer asks the clerk to open the case and gets tazed. It's like Vimeo didn't want my business.

You Tube occasionally falls behind when I'm watching 1080P, rarely when playing back at 720P, and practically never at 480P (or below).

YouTube works better for me here in Florida. Vimeo seems to work better for Gary in Texas. Maybe it's the cable company's fault. Who knows?

Most people probably don't even pay attention to the playback choices. But they will notice if the video keeps lurching along, stopping and starting. Like Chris says. And it's not just brides. Most of my corporate clients aren't pixel peepers either. They're watching on their phones and tablets most of the time anyway.