DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Highlights film - First post in about 3 years (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/532470-highlights-film-first-post-about-3-years.html)

Luke Oliver August 16th, 2016 03:27 AM

Highlights film - First post in about 3 years

Shot on the cannon c100, one man shoot, I usually edit the film to a 12-15 min full feature film, speeches on a separate link ( unless they are awesome and I can add them in ) and then a highlight s film like this. Hope you all enjoy

Pass : wedding

Noa Put August 16th, 2016 03:47 AM

Re: Highlights film - First post in about 3 years

Do you use more then 1 camera during the ceremony? This might come down to personal preference but I found the speed at which the shots changed in the edit too fast at times, there where some very beautiful shots in there but I hardly got the time to enjoy them and it felt a bit rushed. My edits are usually the opposite, reeeaaaaly slow :) but if I have a beautiful shot I would like the viewer to be able to absorb that moment before I move on.

Luke Oliver August 16th, 2016 05:04 AM

Hey Noa, no just me and one camera.

Yeah I think thats just down to personal taste, i prefer the quick shots especially like in Fiorre films they cut fast. I just find long shots in weddings too boring for a regular viewer. Naturally all the shots are drawn out in the main wedding film :) This is more for Facebook.

Oren Arieli August 17th, 2016 09:00 AM

You've got some lovely shots in there, nicely composed and with some good use of foreground elements. For a single-camera op, you're doing a heck of a job. I do agree with Noa that the beginning feels rushed, especially with the music choice. To build up the excitement, I'd like to see a slower pacing on the intro, reaching a climax with the peak of the song, where fast edits match the music better. It would have been great to see the groom's face during the vows, but that's the limitations of a solo shoot sometimes.

To each their own, and I'm sure your clients will enjoy what you've created. If every wedding video followed a formula then there would be no reason to call ourselves creative.

Luke Oliver August 19th, 2016 02:05 AM

Took out a shot from the very start which slows it a touch ( but not really ) and also added in the grooms face :) Looks much better now with his reactions

John De Rienzo September 28th, 2016 09:52 AM

Hi Luke,

I know how difficult it can be as a single shooter, been there many times myself.
My two cents worth.....

I too felt the shots at the beginning were too rushed, not so much because they were snappy, I don't have a problem with this, but the shot selection was confusing.

The shot at 20 seconds has no real place in a highlights reel as it adds nothing to the sequence and is completely out of focus. The shot at 53 seconds was also confusing of the bride on the staircase with her Father followed by the next shot of her and her Father in a different location which made no real sense from a storytelling viewpoint and then back to the bride...I see a man standing outside but not sure what he's doing there or how he fits into the sequence...etc.. There was quite a bit of this going on at the beginning.

I do feel wedding reels are becoming very samey and this also followed a set pattern that many are doing nowadays.

It was overall a nice sequence though and with a bit more tweaking could be even better.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for sharing.