Aug 4th Same-Day Edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 5th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Still Motion

Aug 4th Same-Day Edit

I think we are really starting to get into a groove with the whole SDE process over the past 2-3 we have done and it has really allowed us to take them to another level. As you do more of these you really start to notice how much the workflow and experience can really mean to the final product.

Here is yesterdays same-day edit. Comments/critqiue are always welcome.

http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=158

FYI, this clip was shot with Canon A1s on a steadicam, merlins, as well as one a brevis. We also had one HVX on a brevis for a total of way to many cameras. Michael Wong and Tony Edgar who are also members of this forum shot this along with me. Michael did all the crane shots at the ending while I was editing and I think they really tie the ending together and give it a little more power.

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick Moreau; August 5th, 2007 at 12:15 PM.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Trustee

Hey Patrick,

I loved it. Especially your shooting as usual. You have a great eye and technique.

I'm not sure if the constant slow motion worked for me, though perhaps it's a wise choice considering the function of the video. And I've seen other video where you incorporate photos, and it worked for me, but not this time. I think maybe because the first photo came fairly late in the video. Perhaps if I had seen a couple nearer the beginning, by mind would have accepted it better.

How did you do those shots that look like a time lapse of sunlight moving over the object (the necklace, shoes). Looks great. Did you move a light?

I think one of the things I like the most is the sense that you are unhurried in your work. I always feel in a rush running around with one camera. It's great to see what you can do when you have time! I mean, you brought a crane?

Can you elaborate a bit on how the smoother workflow is changing things? I'm curious if you try to dedicate one cam to the SDE shots, or it not, how you handle capturing particular clips. Do you log and capture just what you need for the edit?

Okay, I'm done buttering you up for now. Great work...

Cheers,
Vito

Last edited by Vito DeFilippo; August 5th, 2007 at 01:13 PM.
Vito DeFilippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Patrick,
That was really great SDE. I have only been doing videography for 2 and half years and you had some great camera shots. The crane effect is what I am trying to work on and your looked so smooth. Thanks for sharing your work.

Kent
Kent Mitomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Patrick, thanks for sharing your clip. Was a pleasure to watch. As others have said your crane shots at the end are spectacular. Keep up the great work.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Still Motion

Thanks Kent and Monday.

I agree that Michael's crane shots are pretty wild. I really love how we can add this level of quality to our same-day edits and start approaching having our same-day edits be close in quality to the highlights we normally deliver well after the wedding.

Vito,

I actually just made another post about training DVDs. I would be interested to get your feedback as it relates to your questions below.

About being unhurried, we normally try to schedule extra time i the morning so we can be creative and work with what is there, rather than trying to rush to get it done. As we show couples more of our work, they generally become more receptive to scheduling their coverage around what we think will work best.

Patrick
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

As usual, awesome stuff Patrick. I especially like your use of shadow with the necklace and rings. Very nice touch.
Jon Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Four thumbs up!
Old August 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #8
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Four thumbs up!
Wow, thanks Travis. I don't think I have ever gotten more than two before!
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Wow, thanks Travis. I don't think I have ever gotten more than two before!
Well, anyone who does an SDE already gets 2 thumbs up from me, lol. Doing one very well has to get something more. d;-)
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #10
New Boot

Super - loved it, as everyone else has already said, the crane shots & time lapse on the shadow shot were just super - the fact that it was a SDE makes it all the more impressive IMO
Alan Doheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #11
Major Player

loved it as per usual..

why do people think it's a time-lapse shot? it's just a hand-held light being waved from right to left, surely?! am ready to eat my hat if i'm wrong!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hey Patrick, you do both the video and photo right?
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
it's just a hand-held light being waved from right to left, surely?! am ready to eat my hat if i'm wrong!
Yeah, I thought it was the same thing. Nice effect though, and it does look like a time lapse.
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:48 AM   #14
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
Hey Patrick, you do both the video and photo right?
Yes we do. For this, I only shot some of the video and did the same-day editing. We had several others there helping with the shooting of photo and video. I think you need a fairly big team to pull off a good SDE while also not sacrificing the quality of the final video. We always cover the photo-session as well, which doesn't give us any down time where we need no video coverage.

Patrick
Old August 7th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #15
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
loved it as per usual..

why do people think it's a time-lapse shot? it's just a hand-held light being waved from right to left, surely?! am ready to eat my hat if i'm wrong!
That shot was a time lapse of a sunset. We just setup the cam and rings at the reception hall and let it run for the 20 minutes of sunset. I then work with the colors and speed in post and there you go :)
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques