DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Music Suggestions for Funeral Tribute (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/100690-music-suggestions-funeral-tribute.html)

Ron Anderson August 6th, 2007 12:58 PM

Music Suggestions for Funeral Tribute

Hello all,
I am reluctantly doing a funeral tonight for a friend of mine. I will probably make it into a tribute video. I have kind of hit a block for a music choice. Do any of you have any suggestions? I am thinking of something uplifting and cinematic, what do you think?

Aloha,
Ron

Chris Barcellos August 6th, 2007 01:38 PM

I did one for my mother, using Into the West from Lord of the Rings.

Victor Kellar August 6th, 2007 01:38 PM

I recently did this for a friend of mine. He was quite the music fan and had stored hundreds of MP 3s on his computer. With his wife's aid, we went thru these songs and picked some that fit the themes of the video: Baby pics, pics with him and his sibs, pics at work, with his wife etc. I find that if you can access the departed person's own musical taste, that is always the best way to go

The other way to go (since, really, tributes are for the living) is to have the person's spouse/family pick out some music that is significant to them

If none of this seems to be working, you can always go for some nice generic Classical music, any appropriate religious music (Gospel etc) or even pop music like Ordinary Miracles by Amy Sky (good for baby pics) or 100 Years

Alastair Brown August 6th, 2007 02:37 PM

Just keep trying songs that you feel fit with the kind of person he/she was. You will get one that just fits and then it all just seems to come together and starts to flow. It's a hard thing to do, especially for a friend. All that said, you will be glad you did once it's finished. I think it is a great way of celebrating the persons life and keeping the memories alive.

All the best.

Ron Anderson August 6th, 2007 05:11 PM

Thanks for the info. This one is going to be a bit tricky because the tribute is for an elderly lady and she really liked songs from the old days (very old days) and they are just missing that something if you know what I mean. Also they are Jehovah's Witnesses and I don't think they would like what they would call worldly songs. That is why I would like to find something cinematic from a movie, but I don't have much exposure to it. I usually stick to the current trendy stuff. If you have any other song suggestions I could check out I would be much obliged.

Ron

Jim Fields August 6th, 2007 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 724363)
I did one for my mother, using Into the West from Lord of the Rings.

You edited something for your mothers funeral?, wow, that must have been real hard to do.

Victor Kellar August 6th, 2007 08:44 PM

Gladiator soundtrack has some nice stuff ... vocals but no real lyrics.

Dr Zhivago maybe??

You can always go with something like Pachabel's Canon I suppose