Feedback Appreciated - Highlights Video - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 18th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I liked the film burn transitions. I also liked the different use of colors. There was of course some areas of the video that were either blown out or too dark, but that just is corrected with time and a lot of practice.

I know that some videographers will say don't use slow motion, don't use black and white... don't don't don't.... Well, my opinion is that if you make a great presentation then people will like it and you will be able to sell your style with your presentation to further couples.

I believe that's what you have done here. You have made a beautiful presentation and I believe you will be able to use it sell more like it.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
I hate to change the tone, but once again I am taken aback at the flaunting of copyright violation on this website.

"Under the radar" just does not apply in the wedding forum.

-I am assuming you did not purchase the rights for this song.-

Don't want to be a finger pointer because we have all done this
Then why did you? I'm so sick of hearing about this. Not only is it debatable whether the use copyright of music in a wedding video is copyright infringement, it is Kelii's job to be informed and make that decision on his own. Let's not go there.

About the topic at hand, I agree with Tim. I thought it was great. Of course there are things I would have done differently but we all would have. I like the shot moving around the pillar to reveal color. You have a talent. Keep with it and every project you do will only get better.
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Adam,

There is no debate, it is wrong.

And are you confident to say your opinion in a deposition in front of a bunch of lawyers?

Like I said, I am not finger pointing, just amazed at the advertisement of a copyright infringement.

I made a decision to purchase and exclusively use royalty free music in every project I do.

To me, that is the professional choice.

Afterall, money is changing hands for your services.

You might be sick of hearing about it, but again, that does not make it go away.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Adam,

There is no debate, it is wrong.

And are you confident to say your opinion in a deposition in front of a bunch of lawyers?

Like I said, I am not finger pointing, just amazed at the advertisement of a copyright infringement.

I made a decision to purchase and exclusively use royalty free music in every project I do.

To me, that is the professional choice.

Afterall, money is changing hands for your services.

You might be sick of hearing about it, but again, that does not make it go away.

I'm pretty sure the original poster posted the video for insight on the shooting and editing technique, not on your take of whether the use of the song was legal or not. Next time I would suggest making your opinion known to the original poster via PM, so as not to take the thread off-topic.
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Well,

I notice that both you and Adam use copyrighted material in your wedding productions as well.

Music is a large part of the editing process as well as the appeal of the final product.

Did the artist or publishers give you permission to use their work in your productions?

You can not know because you did not ask them.

It is about doing the right thing and paying your own way.

That is how I see it.

This is a public forum and the original poster asked for feedback, which was given.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Well,

I notice that both you and Adam use copyrighted material in your wedding productions as well.

Music is a large part of the editing process as well as the appeal of the final product.

Did the artist or publishers give you permission to use their work in your productions?

You can not know because you did not ask them.

It is about doing the right thing and paying your own way.

That is how I see it.

This is a public forum and the original poster asked for feedback, which was given.
Tim, please try and follow this very simple concept. There are a number of other threads discussing the legality of using various music in wedding videos. This is NOT one of those threads. Simple. See?
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thank you Adam and Travis for backing me up. Great peoples!

Kelii
Kelii Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelii Grace View Post
Thank you Adam and Travis for backing me up. Great peoples!

Kelii
Just trying to help keep your thread on topic.

As for the video, btw, it looked great. At first the different "looks" of the shots threw me off, but that may have been because I read some of the posts here before watching it (that's always a no-no!). Anyways, after a minute or so it didn't bother me and I enjoyed the rest. You had one shot with the bride in front of some flowers that was blown out, and you probably meant to do that, but I didn't really like it. Adding a glow to the whites probably would have looked better (if you have that type of filter).

As for the column shot ... brilliant! I'm going to look for opportunities to try this shot out now! Were you using a stabilizer (which one if so)?
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:34 PM   #24
Major Player

HI Kelli,

i thought the video good, well edited with solid pacing in addition to good storytelling. i am a huge magic bullet user myself; but am starting to tend away from it but it's funny how i can recognize all your filters by name (hehe).

constructive criticisms:
- watch out for the framing in some of your shots (too much headroom)
- when cutting from 2 angles (bride vs groom during the wedding ceremony) as it the framing was different enough to be distracting (for me).
- great song choice btw... really catchy and suited the mood
- loved the b&w->colour behind the banister technque

btw what program did you use to edit this? I would to experiment and play with this film burn transition myself.
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #25
Regular Crew

For the b&w to color shot I used a glidecam 4000 with an fx-1 with a wide angle lens. It was my first time using the rig at an actual wedding so I wasn't the greatest at it but Ive been practicing and I am getting better at it. If I was to give some advice on the glidecam it would be to make sure you got a strong wrist and forearm. That thing is heavy! I am currently using Adobe Premiere CS3 as my NLE and have been using Adobe products for some time now. I actually saw that b&w to color shot on someone else's site but it was a little different than mine but same concept. Its funny though because I think only people that edit and know the business can really point out that shot.

Kelii
Kelii Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Wow, good glidecam work for your first time. You will get used to carrying it around after a few shoots. I use one at every wedding, ceremony and reception and I'm starting to get used to it.
Adam Hoggatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques