DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   new highlights segment (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/106876-new-highlights-segment.html)

Matt Bishop October 30th, 2007 11:22 AM

new highlights segment

Here is another recent clip I put together to give the couple a quick look at some of the day. I typically don't put in text like I did, but I feel like it worked with the music since the track starts a little slower and builds. That text also corresponds a bit to their program so it's probably more meaningful to them.

-Katie and Rick Highlights-

www.mediainnovationsblog.com

Matt

Eric Gan October 30th, 2007 11:46 AM

Hey Matt,

That's some top notch stuff on your blog. Great colors, lots of movement, and nice timing in the edit - everything I like in wedding films. I think you're way underpriced for the quality that you're producing!

Which wide angle lens are you using and do you always leave it on when using the stabilizer?

Thanks for sharing.

Matt Bishop October 30th, 2007 11:56 AM

Thanks Eric. I'm really trying to push the market here in the midwest but lets just say they're a bit behind here and video is still the "if I have money in my budget" part of weddings. It's turning around but I can't go up much more yet and still book what I want. I absolutely love what I do and the market will catch up eventually.

I'm using a raynox clip on .3 wide angle fisheye and glidecam 2000. I've finally gotten into a good system of using everything. I keep the wide angle on and balance the glidecam with that. Then I can always pull it off for details, close ups, etc. I can then just use the glidecam as a monopod and hold it so I have better stability. all works out just great.

Kenny Shem October 31st, 2007 10:16 AM

You've got some nice camera movement there. I personally feel there is not enough close up and facial expression shots. Those are really important to bring up the whole mood and feel of the video I think. Maybe your wide angle lens is preventing you from getting close-up shots without distorting? Nevertheless, its still very nice work. I love smooth camera works for wedding and you've got it right there.

Kenny

Matt Bishop October 31st, 2007 10:23 AM

Kenny,
Thanks for the input! I will probably include more of that for their actual video but wasn't able to fit in too much for the highlights. I do appreciate your comments as I never really did highlights clips until about 2 months ago so I'm still learning how to make them as effective as possible in that short amount of time. Thanks!

Yang Wen October 31st, 2007 10:28 AM

Very smooth cam moves! What camera was it?

Man I need to get a WA adapter!

Matt Bishop October 31st, 2007 10:33 AM

Thanks! I use all sony vx2100's.

Ethan Cooper October 31st, 2007 11:38 AM

Matt,
I usually just encourage people to keep exploring their own style and dont mention specifics, but since your stuff is so close to being really really good, I'll offer a few comments.

• A few tighter shots would offer some intimacy to the piece.

• A couple places in the edit could be sped up a bit. Keep a close eye on your pacing. If the music is asking for a little more, give it a little more. This is where some closeups could help as well. Cutting to a closeup now and again tend to "speed" up an edit in my opinion. A well timed closeup can re-engage a viewer.

• Sometimes music begs you for a climatic shot or moment. In this piece, right before you enter the service where the guys are lighting the candles there is a build in the music that isn't reflected in the edit or footage. I handled it by cutting fast there, but it doesn't have to be done with fast cuts. It can just be a more interesting piece of footage. Something with dynamic movement would work.

• Maybe cut down on the amount of ceremony footage? This was my first impression, but it could be something else entirely. Ceremony footage just isn't usually compelling unless they allow you to roam freely in the ceremony and that's rare.

• The edit looses a little steam in the reception footage. I only saw it once and am not sure what it is. Maybe I'll watch again. Sometimes I get tired of editing a piece and let the ending drop off into extended shot after extended shot just to get it over with. Not sure if that's what happened here, but it just seemed to fizzle out a bit. Dont get me wrong, it's still good, it just lost something there.

• Remember, I'm being critical because this has promise. I liked it a lot. Loved the hand writing shot for some reason.

I'm done.

Matt Bishop October 31st, 2007 11:46 AM

Thanks Ethan!
:-) You're almost right for the reception stuff. It was very dark, strung out, and boring reception so there wasn't a lot of great stuff to use. As a bride looking at it, she's seeing those few highlights of the ceremony and reception that she's going to like and appreciate so that's where I head once I get in some of the artistic stuff that I really want to include. If only we had more than one take and could set up our shots :-) I'll be sure to post an upcoming expo demo that I'm going to do. I will be pulling from a lot of weddings and then I'll have amazing stuff from each part of the wedding.

Thanks for the advice!
Matt

Matt Bishop October 31st, 2007 11:48 AM

by the way , my wife gets props for the handwriting shot you're talking about and many of the others that I use. It's definitely a team effort and I couldn't do it without her.

Brendan Donohue October 31st, 2007 11:49 AM

great

good stuff man. I really dig the camera work and flow of your highlight reel. As mentioned above, the color looks great too!! I like the look of the fisheye too!!

Ethan Cooper October 31st, 2007 12:01 PM

Matt,
Does your wife have another job, or does she help you full time? I ask this because my wife is the glue that holds Silver Media together. She's our graphic designer, web developer, second camera, part time editor, bookeeper, and spiritual advisor. Did I mention she works a 9-5 as well and we're now traveling 5 hours one way almost every weekend because we just moved and all our business is elsewhere. There's no way to repay someone for all that.
Anyway... sorry I got sidetracked.

Matt Bishop October 31st, 2007 12:18 PM

Yep, my wife works asa web designer 8-5 every day , helps me every Saturday, designs and keeps up our website and helps with some of the graphic design for cases and such. I try to do as much as possible for our accounting, bookkeeping, etc so she doesn't have to do anymore. I've been there! trying to work full time and do this and it's a lot so I appreciate it more than anything! We're in the process of building up our business enough that she can eventually go full time also.